ps3 or xbox 360

• ps3

Votes: 220 49.9%
  • xbox 360

Votes: 221 50.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
wakeup360 said:
Who needs AA when you've got 1080P graphics.

And jaggys :D

AA>Resolution.

I would rather play at 1600x1200 and have no jaggies, then play at 1920x1800 and have all those jaggies magnified

I'll take AA anytime of the day, instead of playing games with soo much jaggies everyone looks like sonic the hedgehog.

canislupy said:
As for Nintendo, try not to let the door hit you in the ass on your way out... I've got my GC sitting here collecting dust... .

Nintendo will always have a place in my heart and home no matter what. Classics like Mario, Zelda, Metroid...those speak to older gamers. That's the real differance: the N has a DIEHARD fanbase.

The reason why I like this thread is because it's xbox vs. ps: it's intuitive that the truly hard console gamer will have a revolution no matter what :)

wakeup360 said:
Who needs AA when you've got 1080P graphics.

1080p is one of the most useless "features". How many TV's support it right now, and how large of a user base will ever have it? This was thrown in I'm sure to outspec the Xbox360 and for Sony lovers to flaunt (no I don't mean you) but I bet 99% of the people who buy a PS3 will never see 1080p. I'm sure the PS3one will be out by the time 1080p is within reach of the masses (who mostly still own your standard tv's).

I prefer a h/d (that I don't have to buy separately) and MCE features than something I'll never use. More bang for my bucks!

I would get the ps3 for back compatibility/features and i'm sure the Final Fantasy franchise would continue on the ps3.

It sounds like Sony may have finally gotten a few things right (support for more than 2 controllers out of the box, built-in wireless/broadband), but my money goes to MS. Sony has just flaunted their market position in the past, and made gamers pay for it too many times; forcing you to buy a multitap, HDD, modem, etc. MS did it all right the first time, and with the new Xbox Live services, it doesn't look like they plan on tripping up any time soon.

That, and the PS2 was so overhyped, I'm taking any news on the PS3 with a big-ass spoonful of salt. Which dictator is gonna buy up all the PS3's to launch missles this time around? Guess it'll have to be good ole Kim Jong Il. "Look out!!!! PS3-guided Nodong missles!!!! Run!!! Ruunnnnnnn!!!!!"

If I bought consoles I'd dish out for PS3, at least games that come out on the PS2 I can't get for PC (most of them at least).

this might get as ugly as intel vs amd....

for me the xbox is nicer looking and a better fit to be used for more then just games. sony has always been one step behind on grafix and i think they might do it again. plus no aa imo is a really bad move.

Probably end up getting a PS3 once they get lower in price... but the Xbox 360 is my choice because I gotta have Halo. :( :D

PS3 for me. I'm probably the only one but I love the controller. Reminds me of the N64 controller...which in my opinion was the most comfortable, least tiring controller to use.

Does it chop anyone else's hide that the PS3 will launch in Japan before it hits the States. While the Xbox360 will release in three places (U.S.A., EUROPE, JAPAN) at the same time.

For some reason that just irks me to no end. Why can't Sony release it everywhere at the same time?

Tiny said:
Does it chop anyone else's hide that the PS3 will launch in Japan before it hits the States. While the Xbox360 will release in three places (U.S.A., EUROPE, JAPAN) at the same time.

For some reason that just irks me to no end. Why can't Sony release it everywhere at the same time?

This is the worst case scenario, but with the PSP there were problems identified in the actualy piece of hardware which was remedied [well mostly] before it hit North America. Parhaps they are going the same way with the PS3 ?

go PS3 when I voted I thoguth it would be like 75% Xbox.

I voted PS3 because I just liek the greater variety of games on the PS2

AARGH! said:
1080p is one of the most useless "features". How many TV's support it right now, and how large of a user base will ever have it? This was thrown in I'm sure to outspec the Xbox360 and for Sony lovers to flaunt (no I don't mean you) but I bet 99% of the people who buy a PS3 will never see 1080p. I'm sure the PS3one will be out by the time 1080p is within reach of the masses (who mostly still own your standard tv's).

Bwuahahahaha! Ah, yeah... I needed a good laugh. Thanks, I appreciated that to lighten up my day.

BTW... 37" WS 1920x1080 (1080p) LCD is on the way for MSRP $2000 (maybe closer to $1k by end of year?). Dell 24" 1920x1200 for $850. Prices are falling already. These consoles are not coming out NOW, they are coming out towards the end of this year, and early next when there will be even more 1080p monitors available for even lower prices. Toshiba I think it was has actually found a way to produce cheap 40" FPs... and I'm talking $400 cheap IIRC. Not sure when we will see these, but believe you me, 1080p is NOT a useless feature. Hell, I think these new consoles will push consumer adoption of HD far more than anything else before it has done.

I'll pick up both and a Revolution to go along with them.

I'm not sure if I'll keep playing PC games though...

Despite the fact that Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 are now out, I'm still playing a modification of Battlefield 1942 more than the both of them combined.

Well I was looking forward to the 360 at first but now I have jumped ships to sony because I like nearly every thing I saw at their demostration with the exception of the controller.

Last generation I was a microsoft man but sony just seems more impressive to me this generation. I want to see what sony is going to do with the PSP connectivity, 7 controllers, and a bunch of other stuff they talked about. Xbox 360 to me seems a bit out dated. (please dont flame) Im not talking about specs but more the stuff they plan to do with their console. Nothing really cool and exciting like the sony Eye toy, IP camera, 2 screens, 7 controllers, Blu Ray compatible, and bunch other thing cant even remeber right now.

Regardless I will be getting all 3 consoles but Im most excited for the PS3 and im still waiting for Nintendo to play its card. Now that I compare the xbox 360 to the Revolution the 360 just looks likes child toy. Revolution looks very nice. Microsoft did this on purpose so im forced to buy those faceplates. :( I thought the 360 looked really cool untill I saw the revolution.

Since I dont HAVE a tv that supports 1080p or whatever, that feature is 100% useless to me, even if I do eventually get one, I doubt it would make a noticeable diffrence, plus, a bigger res just means bigger jaggies.

Im waiting for a goddamn game release list for all consoles, ill probably get the Revolution for Mario Partys and Zeldas, the Xbox360 for Halo3, PGR3, and Xbox Live Splinter Cell, I dont really know about the PS3, because the PS2s game lineup sucks

canislupy said:
Bwuahahahaha! Ah, yeah... I needed a good laugh. Thanks, I appreciated that to lighten up my day.

BTW... 37" WS 1920x1080 (1080p) LCD is on the way for MSRP $2000 (maybe closer to $1k by end of year?). Dell 24" 1920x1200 for $850. Prices are falling already. These consoles are not coming out NOW, they are coming out towards the end of this year, and early next when there will be even more 1080p monitors available for even lower prices. Toshiba I think it was has actually found a way to produce cheap 40" FPs... and I'm talking $400 cheap IIRC. Not sure when we will see these, but believe you me, 1080p is NOT a useless feature. Hell, I think these new consoles will push consumer adoption of HD far more than anything else before it has done.

Most of what I've been reading is saying that 1080 with screens that small are noticeably no different than 720. Most of the HDTV's sold up until now don't support it natively. So for the MAJORITY of the population this is useless.

Oh and $2k is nothing to sneeze at in most households, and the Toshiba thing is so new, nothing other than "we can do this" has been stated. So I take that with a grain of salt. Also most people won't replace thier 35" TV for something smaller that will cost them twice as much than what they paid for thier current TV.

You obviously can't grasp that most of America aren't spoiled brats with $$$ to burn on the latest thing.

canislupy said:

For one thing, most people would rather spend 1k on more then just a goddamn TV

Second thing, this "cheap" 40"FPs, are also "Cheap" quality.

Hate_Bot said:
Since I dont HAVE a tv that supports 1080p or whatever, that feature is 100% useless to me, even if I do eventually get one, I doubt it would make a noticeable diffrence, plus, a bigger res just means bigger jaggies.

But very likely your next TV will support HDTV, and if not, you are just pissing away money. HD is where it's at. To say that it won't make a noticable difference says to me that you've never actually seen HDTV in action. It is a world of difference, the clarity over SD is just mind boggling. Once you see HD, SD TV just looks fuzzy and crappy.

And bigger res does not mean bigger jaggies, it means less jaggies. You are thinking of a small res on a big screen, that is most definitely bigger jaggies. Besides, Xbox360 requires all games to use AA, so jaggies a not an issue anymore.

canislupy said:
BTW... 37" WS 1920x1080 (1080p) LCD is on the way for MSRP $2000 (maybe closer to $1k by end of year?).

Hrm, 24" Dell or 37" toshiba as my primary computer monitor....hrm....

Damn, I might just get both.

JethroXP said:
But very likely your next TV will support HDTV, and if not, you are just pissing away money. HD is where it's at. To say that it won't make a noticable difference says to me that you've never actually seen HDTV in action. It is a world of difference, the clarity over SD is just mind boggling. Once you see HD, SD TV just looks fuzzy and crappy.

And bigger res does not mean bigger jaggies, it means less jaggies. You are thinking of a small res on a big screen, that is most definitely bigger jaggies. Besides, Xbox360 requires all games to use AA, so jaggies a not an issue anymore.

Im not saying I wont notice a difrence ging to HDTV, Im saying I wont notice a diffrence betwween 1080i, and 1080p

Hate_Bot said:
Im not saying I wont notice a difrence ging to HDTV, Im saying I wont notice a diffrence betwween 1080i, and 1080p

Oh...well in that case, I'm pretty sure I agree with you ;)

Hate_Bot said:

Useless to you I guess, but far from useless to me. Its actually the exact opposite, the higher the resolution, the smaller the jaggies. I run games on the PC at 1920x1200 w/ no AA and can hardly tell the diff when I do enable 2-4x AA at that res.

canislupy said:
Useless to you I guess, but far from useless to me. Its actually the exact opposite, the higher the resolution, the smaller the jaggies. I run games on the PC at 1920x1200 w/ no AA and can hardly tell the diff when I do enable 2-4x AA at that res.

read my next posts.

AARGH! said:
Most of what I've been reading is saying that 1080 with screens that small are noticeably no different than 720. Most of the HDTV's sold up until now don't support it natively. So for the MAJORITY of the population this is useless.

Oh and $2k is nothing to sneeze at in most households, and the Toshiba thing is so new, nothing other than "we can do this" has been stated. So I take that with a grain of salt. Also most people won't replace thier 35" TV for something smaller that will cost them twice as much than what they paid for thier current TV.

You obviously can't grasp that most of America aren't spoiled brats with $$$ to burn on the latest thing.

1080p (notice I did not say 1080i) is far superior to 720p, and is quite noticeable when compared directly. If you display 720p content on a 20" 720p native screen beside another 20" screen with content and native res of 1080p, you will see a noticeable difference. The same cannot be said for 720p vs 1080i.

I know $2k is nothing to sneeze at... my point was that 1080p native screens are coming down in price, and will only continue to do so as we get closer to the launch of these consoles. 37" is smaller than 35"? Anyways... I don't care whether they replace their 35" CRT or not... these consoles do support 480i after all... they can have their scaled down graphics if thats all they want.

I'm 31 years old, only have a GED to my credit and yet I still find myself gainfully employed by a large networking company where I work my ass off as much as 80 hours a week to earn a salary. I have never had anything handed to me on silver platter in my life and I'm no stranger to being homeless, so watch who you call a spoiled brat.

canislupy said:
I'm 31 years old, only have a GED to my credit and yet I still find myself gainfully employed by a large networking company where I work my ass off as much as 80 hours a week to earn a salary. I have never had anything handed to me on silver platter in my life and I'm no stranger to being homeless, so watch who you call a spoiled brat.

If you noticed I didn't call you one, you started the mocking first, you just expect it to be returned in kind.

Hate_Bot said:
read my next posts.

OK... have you seen 1080i up against 1080p? Actual pixel resolution of 1080i is 1920x540 (note that most HD content recorded and broadcast is actually 1440 horizontal lines). The 540 vertical lines of information are drawn every 1/60th of a second, with two sets 540 vertical lines interlaced in order to display a full 1080 lines of information every 1/30th of a second. 1080p is 1920x1080 displayed every 1/30th of a second, consequently requiring 1080 vertical lines to display. 720p is 1280x720 displaying 720 vertical lines every 1/30th of a second. That is why 720 is actually considered a better, higher resolution format than 1080i. If you look at HD TVs as they came out, 1080i was the first resolution to be supported by TV sets, as it was only really 540 vertical lines which was not much more than the NTSC sets were already capable of. Anyway... I don't profess to be an expert here... so please feel free to correct any mistakes I have made. Just wanted to point out that 1080i /= 1080p, and that if you saw the two side by side you would be able to tell the difference. As for 720p, I would far rather have the Xbox 360s 720p than 1080i any day.

the image is still made up of 1080 verticle lines, even if there are only 540 on the screen at once. The only difference I notice between interlace and progressive is that things moving quickly horizontaly don't have that "comb" effect.

AARGH! said:
If you noticed I didn't call you one, you started the mocking first, you just expect it to be returned in kind.

Well, maybe I did deserve to be to have something thrown back at me... I don't know, but what can I say, I did find it funny that you called 1080p "useless". Sorry if that bothered you.

AARGH! said:

With this statement, I did feel that you indirectly attached "spoiled brat" to me, thus, I felt it necessary to defend myself.

Nintendo (and possibly a PS3)

Why get an XBox 360 when you can get a Nintendo (which will probably end up with the same hardware) and "emulate" the 360? The Nintendo will even be backward compatible so it'll be like having an seXBox(X-Box), a Game^3(Gamecube), a Circle(X-Box 360), and an Orbit(Revolution) all in one.

I also find it funny that Sony is touting this "upto 7 bluetooth wireless controllers" when the 360 will just need a software update to support up to eight.

Surely you ask, "But, Optimus, how would the quadrants designate players 5-8?" but I say, "Light up Quads 1 and 2 for controller 5; Quads 2 and 3 for 6; Quads 3 and 4 for 7; and Quads 4 and 1 for 8."

Class warfare participants:
what's this?
*the smallest violin in the world*
what's it doing?
*playing misty for me*
/

The best deal in the world is the Samsung/Phillips tube HDTV, I scored one almost two years ago, maybe more for under 900 bucks. To buy a non HDTV is to throw your money away, regardless how much money you make. This is the standard tech.

I've never had the signal to push my TV past 480, but that looks plenty darn good on a 30" letterbox. 1080p would probably not be that big a step up in my situation, but I'll tell you I get annoyed at PS2 games that don't support progressive scan. In fact, I sold my old PS2 for the one that does DvD's in progressive scan. I can tell the difference in movies. Burnout 3 and Star Ocean III look f'n sweet, I don't know if that's in my head or what.

PS Optimus what would give you the idea that a Revolution could emulate a competitors product? That's nuts! Rev will emulate nintendo's lineage, not other manufacturers!

Back