PS3 Optical in on a PC

Banditfromhell

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
170
hey, I picked up some barracuda HP1 headphones, enjoying them.I have been experiencing the great 5.1 audio they give out from my pc games, and i want to get that from my ps3 games too. My question is can i use the 5.1 channel sound that my ps3 puts out via the optical out to go to the optical in of a sound card like the x-fi extreme audio PCI-e or the X-FI fatality fps titanium edition, the one with the optical in? I will i get 5.1 channel sound being pumped out of my headphones with either of those sound cards, if not, any suggestions on how i can??

*note* That was my buddy asking me word for word on the question.

Also I know the x-fi generally ahd problems w/ vista and what not. Which are some better audio cards that you can recommend w/o costing a arm, leg, first child, and your life savings.
 
The optical out is kinda dodgy on the PS3 and has its own share of problems (like skipping with Dolby Digital EX tracks).

Regardless, have you considered getting an inexpensive receiver? It does take up space but does exactly as you ask for (and can do lots of other things if you ever plan on using its other features).
 
well, here in nz, cheep receiver dont exist, and will that let me get the audio throughthe 3.5mm jacks my headset have, the 3 of them
 
What sound card do you have? Some sound cards have optical input like the Oxygen HD based cards but they only support stereo PCM sound.
 
ive only got the on board on my xfx 780i, and im trying to get advice on what sound card will let me use my 5.1 headset/speakers of my computer wit the ps3 by using the optical out on the ps3 to the topical in on the sound card
 
Very seriously doubt it. I would try and find a used receiver first. So close to Asia and they are expensive? That stinks.
 
I have my PS3 optical out to my optical in of my Xfi Elite (with the external box with a bunch of connections on it). Also with my headphone plug into it so it can process and bypass the sound either to my speakers or to my headphone.
 
If you're really dead set on using that headset or any other 5.1headphones (I have the same ones you do but they're in the closet now) you are going to have to get a creative DDTS-100 or something like it. It'll decode the dolby digital and DTS tracks and send them out via 3x3.5mm headphone jacks. I'm pretty sure creative's extigy can do that sure but I forget the specifics. All in all, a used receiver would be cheaper than going the these 2 creative options. Unless you live in Singapore where I hear that they're still making and selling the DDTS-100 at msrp and not the overinflated ebay price.
 
yea i cant find a ddts-100 here in nz, looks like i may just have to deal with stereo sound via a adapter through thoes earphones :S
 
Back
Top