PS3 Online Multiplayer

M a d c o w

Limp Gawd
Greetings

In less than 24 hrs im buying a 60 gig at my local Sams Club store. I was just wondering, is there a Fee when you play online / multiplayer like you do in Xbox, or is it free.

Thanks in advance

Free.

One of the reasons I am selling my 360 is because I don't feel like paying another $50 just to play online with some friends.

yeah, thats one of the reasons why i bought my ps3. and also, all my friends have it so it's fun owning servers in cod4!

Greetings

In less than 24 hrs im buying a 60 gig at my local Sams Club store. I was just wondering, is there a Fee when you play online / multiplayer like you do in Xbox, or is it free.

Thanks in advance

It is more accurate to say that multiplayer on the PS3 is left up to the developer. So, the interface could be good or bad depending on the game. Sony gives you a friend's list, but you cannot access the menu system while you are in a game. There are no cross game invites. In general, you are not quite as connected to your friends as you are on the 360 and the online implementation for a game will be inconsistant, but you don't have to send any extra money to Sony for it.. I'm not saying this to promote the 360, I'm just saying it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Sony's online implementation is much more like a PC game. You put in that game and use that company's interface to play online.

Its free.

Not as nice as Live yet, but not paying is definitely a plus and Sony is making efforts to improve it. The dedicated servers for Warhawk keep growing and rock.
I got COD4 for the X360 since we play split screen and I have more X360 controllers right now so I can't say for that if its good or not.

Its very simple until home comes out next year, guess you get what you pay for *before home* :p

It is more accurate to say that multiplayer on the PS3 is left up to the developer. So, the interface could be good or bad depending on the game. Sony gives you a friend's list, but you cannot access the menu system while you are in a game. There are no cross game invites. In general, you are not quite as connected to your friends as you are on the 360 and the online implementation for a game will be inconsistant, but you don't have to send any extra money to Sony for it.. I'm not saying this to promote the 360, I'm just saying it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Sony's online implementation is much more like a PC game. You put in that game and use that company's interface to play online.

At least until Home comes out :). That will remedy this situation. But who knows when that is coming out. :(

At least until Home comes out :). That will remedy this situation. But who knows when that is coming out. :(

No, Home does not add those XBL features. There will still be no cross game invites and I have not heard where any part of the interface will be available in game. Home is not changing the multiplayer interface of the games. Home is a personal space that you can share with other people. It is a social app like Second Life. You can show off some of the games you have played and design your own personal space. The only connection to gaming it has are some arcade games you can play with your friends. Don't think Home is everything that the PS3 is missing. It is something completely different. My opinion is that is that it will have limited appeal and is wasted development that could have been spent closing the gap in features between XBL and PSN.

It sounds negative, but I think Defective is right. Home seems to be some sort of weird social experiment, but nowhere does it seem to actually add in the XBL invite system or allow for the media bar interface to be accessed in-game. While there's still hope they might add that someday, it doesn't seem to be related to the whole "Home" thing. Home screams Wii parade crossed with an MMO to me.

I'm pretty sure the video from E3 say that you can join and invite people into a any game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21601.html

at 5:11

I believe he's right.. I remember reading that as well.

Basically, you would find your friend (or a new friend) in Home and agree upon a game to play and then go from there. It's kind of the opposite of XBL, where you start a game and then invite someone to play that game.

I believe he's right.. I remember reading that as well.

Basically, you would find your friend (or a new friend) in Home and agree upon a game to play and then go from there. It's kind of the opposite of XBL, where you start a game and then invite someone to play that game.

That I knew, and while I think it is a step forward, it is still a ways off of XBL. PSN still needs to work to where joining games with friends, and even people you have played with previously, is omnipresent and available while you are in other games.

I am interested to see how it works since all the PS3 multiplayer games so far have their own server browsers. Will you be able to browse those servers while in Home? Will support for Home be universal or will some games not support it. Since Sony does not provide any of the infrastructure for the multiplayer games out there (unless it comes from one of their developers), so please excuse me if I am a bit sceptical of Home's interoperability with them. I could see Home becoming like Steam on the PC, but to do so, it needs to unify the server browsers and put everything on a common platform.

That I knew, and while I think it is a step forward, it is still a ways off of XBL. PSN still needs to work to where joining games with friends, and even people you have played with previously, is omnipresent and available while you are in other games.

I am interested to see how it works since all the PS3 multiplayer games so far have their own server browsers. Will you be able to browse those servers while in Home? Will support for Home be universal or will some games not support it. Since Sony does not provide any of the infrastructure for the multiplayer games out there (unless it comes from one of their developers), so please excuse me if I am a bit sceptical of Home's interoperability with them. I could see Home becoming like Steam on the PC, but to do so, it needs to unify the server browsers and put everything on a common platform.

A lot of good questions that we all would like answered.

As for finding people you've played with before, that's in PS3 already. And you can add people from that list to your friends list as well. I do agree though that PSN has a lot of catchup to do if they want to compete with XBL. But I think they're on the right path so far. Especially if you consider it being free.

but remember, you get what you pay for. Not all games are peachy like cod4 or warhawk on the psn. Remember that. One thing that live has is convenience and that worth the 50 a year by itself.

I'm pretty sure the video from E3 say that you can join and invite people into a any game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21601.html

at 5:11

I can't watch the video right now but aren't they talking about inviting to a game from Home when another player is also in Home?

Or is it cross-game? Sony will need some kind of XMB in-game access for that to happen and they keep postponing it.

A lot of good questions that we all would like answered.

As for finding people you've played with before, that's in PS3 already. And you can add people from that list to your friends list as well. I do agree though that PSN has a lot of catchup to do if they want to compete with XBL. But I think they're on the right path so far. Especially if you consider it being free.

That's another thing, I'm wondering how far PSN will go before they charge for it. Right now, it's basically an IM program and custom website. Home is going to up the ante. That is going to bring some serious server costs with it. Start adding more features that keep players in constant contact and it is going to start costing them alot to keep it free.

One other big question that has yet to be answered is, does the PS3 have the capability of running an interface over the games. There has been some scepticism of this because of the ridgid memory allotment. The chips may have the horsepower, but the console may not have the memory.

That's another thing, I'm wondering how far PSN will go before they charge for it. Right now, it's basically an IM program and custom website. Home is going to up the ante. That is going to bring some serious server costs with it. Start adding more features that keep players in constant contact and it is going to start costing them alot to keep it free.

One other big question that has yet to be answered is, does the PS3 have the capability of running an interface over the games. There has been some scepticism of this because of the ridgid memory allotment. The chips may have the horsepower, but the console may not have the memory.

I am of the opinion that PSN will eventually become a tiered-pay service, similar to XBL. In other words, some features will be free while others will require payment.

The reality is that storage and servers do incur costs that Sony will want to recover given that (a) they continue to lose money on the hardware and (b) more and more people will flood the service over time.

Also, I question whether or not the PS3 can in fact support an in-game interface due to its memory as you stated. To me, these both give the 360 a big advantage when it comes to seamless online gaming.

It would be nice to see Sony clear up these issues, particularly once more solid, exclusive titles begin to show up on the system. I can only imagine how the lack of an in-game invite or message feature will bug some looking to enjoy UT3 on this system.

It sounds negative, but I think Defective is right. Home seems to be some sort of weird social experiment, but nowhere does it seem to actually add in the XBL invite system or allow for the media bar interface to be accessed in-game. While there's still hope they might add that someday, it doesn't seem to be related to the whole "Home" thing. Home screams Wii parade crossed with an MMO to me.

That's so wrong from the actual truth. Home will be like a interactive Xbox Live. Like, say your friends are online, well you can invite them to a private chat. If say, you don't want to play a a game yet then you can walk around the Home Universe, and check out game news, trailers, and also movies as well I believe at the movie theater. And, right from the Home interface you'll be able to set up a game, and jump into it. I remember Phil Harrison showcased it with Motorstorm.

It looks pretty cool to me. All the PS gamers will be able to get together in way that you can't in Xbox Live. I'm not knocking Xbox Live at b/c it's awesome, but I am excited to use it. Hell, like even us [H] users can get together at somebody's "apartment or house," and check out each other's achivements, or if we want, then jump right into some Warhawk, or whatever game.

It should be cool, and to top it all off, it'll all be free.

That's so wrong from the actual truth. Home will be like a interactive Xbox Live. Like, say your friends are online, well you can invite them to a private chat. If say, you don't want to play a a game yet then you can walk around the Home Universe, and check out game news, trailers, and also movies as well I believe at the movie theater. And, right from the Home interface you'll be able to set up a game, and jump into it. I remember Phil Harrison showcased it with Motorstorm.

It looks pretty cool to me. All the PS gamers will be able to get together in way that you can't in Xbox Live. I'm not knocking Xbox Live at b/c it's awesome, but I am excited to use it. Hell, like even us [H] users can get together at somebody's "apartment or house," and check out each other's achivements, or if we want, then jump right into some Warhawk, or whatever game.

It should be cool, and to top it all off, it'll all be free.

I'm a point and click person. I don't really care about having an avatar in a digital universe. If I want to view news, trailers, and movies, I want to click on them in a simple menu interface. This is why I think it will have limited appeal. Since it isn't an MMO in the sense that it isn't a game that you get together to play with other people, it doesn't really draw people to do anything more than participate in a 3D chatroom. How long are people going to really hang out in Home versus playing games. If Home (or a part thereof) isn't available from inside a game, then I think it is really hamstrung in being a place to truely connect players to other players. I think that 90% of Home is a novelty that people will be over in about 2 weeks. The only part that will be used is people trying to find people to play games with, but, I think that many people who own certain games will just pop that game in and use it's game browser to find a server. I think it is a neat idea in concept, but I just don't see it doing anything special.

Home will be like a interactive Xbox Live. Like, say your friends are online, well you can invite them to a private chat. If say, you don't want to play a a game yet then you can walk around the Home Universe, and check out game news, trailers, and also movies as well I believe at the movie theater. And, right from the Home interface you'll be able to set up a game, and jump into it. I remember Phil Harrison showcased it with Motorstorm.

It looks pretty cool to me. All the PS gamers will be able to get together in way that you can't in Xbox Live.

How useful is it to have to pull people from the other games they might be playing to gather them all into one place so that they can go right back to what they possibly were doing before?

I'm a point and click person. I don't really care about having an avatar in a digital universe. If I want to view news, trailers, and movies, I want to click on them in a simple menu interface. This is why I think it will have limited appeal. Since it isn't an MMO in the sense that it isn't a game that you get together to play with other people, it doesn't really draw people to do anything more than participate in a 3D chatroom. How long are people going to really hang out in Home versus playing games. If Home (or a part thereof) isn't available from inside a game, then I think it is really hamstrung in being a place to truely connect players to other players. I think that 90% of Home is a novelty that people will be over in about 2 weeks. The only part that will be used is people trying to find people to play games with, but, I think that many people who own certain games will just pop that game in and use it's game browser to find a server. I think it is a neat idea in concept, but I just don't see it doing anything special.

Just because YOU don't like it, it makes it seem like it'll be less appealing to the general mass? How does that work?

You also have to remember that the PS3 is still pretty much the most affordable Blu-Ray player on the market. So i'm sure there are a lot of people out there that don't use their PS3 just for gaming, but as a entertainment hub. Home is just an extension of how you keep in contact with your friends, and to make new ones.

I don't understand what the hell all the negativity is about, with something we haven't even tried yet. It's going to be free, and you know you all are going to try it. Is it so far fetched that you might find something you could like about it? I'm just saying we need to give it a shot, and try before we judge. And until then, there's no reason to doubt either success or failure.

How useful is it to have to pull people from the other games they might be playing to gather them all into one place so that they can go right back to what they possibly were doing before?

Um... who the hell said that you have to do that? I was saying if nobody was playing a game, then you could all get together and start a game. But, if somebody's already in a game, and you can see they're online, then they can invite you to their game.

I'd imagine that the interface would be a part of the OS' memory allotment. That's how a lot of it functions right now anyway, unlike the 360, you can reach the PS3 web browser and other PSN functions without exiting the game. It would be cool if they integrated it more like Live, but Sony seems to like re-inventing the wheel every chance they get. :(

I'd imagine that the interface would be a part of the OS' memory allotment. That's how a lot of it functions right now anyway, unlike the 360, you can reach the PS3 web browser and other PSN functions without exiting the game. It would be cool if they integrated it more like Live, but Sony seems to like re-inventing the wheel every chance they get. :(

that had to be a joke..

My Home apt is going to be so pimp, you all wish you could have VIP :eek:

No, Home does not add those XBL features. There will still be no cross game invites and I have not heard where any part of the interface will be available in game. Home is not changing the multiplayer interface of the games. Home is a personal space that you can share with other people. It is a social app like Second Life. You can show off some of the games you have played and design your own personal space. The only connection to gaming it has are some arcade games you can play with your friends. Don't think Home is everything that the PS3 is missing. It is something completely different. My opinion is that is that it will have limited appeal and is wasted development that could have been spent closing the gap in features between XBL and PSN.

From the E3 event I remember the Sony president saying it was more of like a front end for launching games, having group chats, clan invites etc. It was like second life in the experience but it was supposed to be it's online support/environment. From my impression and from what that guy showed (jeez I can't remember for the life of me but I will find the video for you, it was quite long) you can do a lot of stuff with Home, or at least that you will be able to in the future. I know I'm being vague, but it has been a while since i've seen it. Whether or not Sony will deliver right away is the real question. Again from impression, I believe Home is supposed to be the rival for Xbox Live. That is when I really became excited with the PS3.

Along with Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, and the latest Final Fantasy installment, I have something to really get ecstatic about. I'm hoping Sony can deliver with home like they did with the firmware updates from the past. I really like my PS3 and i'm sure it will improve. It really seems to me that you're really against Sony. It doesn't bother me though. To each their own :).

By the by, don't start off your sentences with no in reply to mine. It's really rude.

Back