PS3 now 70% cheaper to make say Sony

So, no price cuts yet they've gotten the build cost down by 70%? Is Sony trying to piss gamers off or something?

It seems to be one of Sony's chief aims in this generation, if Hirai's absurd comments while pushing the PS3 are anything to go by.

what would you do after losing so much money selling a console at a loss for a long time? People around here obviously arent business minded

waiting till ps3 is $199? oh jesus ps4 should be around by then
I'll wait for the PS4 to hit $199 too if it's 2x more expensive again at launch than my next gen console. :p I'll probably have a PS3 before the next 3-3.5 years, but not for more than $200.

I bought a PS3 for $320 bucks (Thank you live.com + ebay deal) but sold it shortly after realizing i didn't play it as much as I'd hope to have.

This time around with little big planet out, and the Slim coming I will look into purchasing one again. I just hope to be able to pick a slim up for under $300!

I'm quite interested in seeing what it hits the UK for (mostly out of a general interest as to how the UK will be screwed next!). I doubt I'll buy a gen 1 slim, possibly a gen 2 model though, assuming they continue slimming it down like they did the PS2.

what would you do after losing so much money selling a console at a loss for a long time? People around here obviously arent business minded

Sony and MS have both lost over $3 billion this generation. So how's that for being business minded. :)

Beside they make money on every game they sell. So the more consoles they sell, the more money they'll make in the long term on games.

Sony and MS have both lost over $3 billion this generation. So how's that for being business minded. :)
It's a nitpick... but it's a $2.6bn loss for MS so far this gen and a $4.0bn loss for Sony so far this gen. ;)

Beside they make money on every game they sell. So the more consoles they sell, the more money they'll make in the long term on games.

Not to mention MS will rake in the money with Rage. Since they get royalties for each disc, and its going to be four discs. Im surprised they dont try this with more games. ;)

Not to mention MS will rake in the money with Rage. Since they get royalties for each disc, and its going to be four discs. Im surprised they dont try this with more games. ;)
The multiple disc royalty was debunked along time ago.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-200681.aspx

"Microsoft is not being dickheads," he said. "It was a simple kind of miscommunication. Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of goods that goes along with manufacturing."

Back