PS3 - No Linux Client

zim01

Gawd
When you go to load the Yellow Dog linux, the PS3 only will give you 10 gigs of the 60 for the O/S. The PS3 has 2 PPU's, primary processing units and 8 SPU's, synergistic processing units. It also sets up 16, 1024k ram disks(I have no idea for what) So you go WOW, 2 SMP clients would be logical. Then you find out linux only gets 6 SPU's…well OK

The topper…….you have 116144 of free memory…so what client are you going to run?
Answer=NONE I tried SMP and regular.

Until you get one of these

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/ken-kutaragi-sez-i-promise-an-av-centric-ps3/

Anyone on the team want one cheap?????

I here there is no PS3 client either....:p:p:p

I'll pay shipping you fruity ass!

I think I'd say 400 bucks (plus shipping - wouldn't necessarily have to be next day air if you didn't need it by Christmas) for it is a steal. However, I thought they were working on a Folding client for the PS3? I know the normal Linux client wouldn't work because it is a different chip architecture, but I assumed you'd just wait on that and fold on the PS3 client when it is released.

zim and waiting in the same sentance just does not happen

Hey Zim:

If you are bidding on a Sony PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii Game Console, please be aware that eBay requires sellers to provide proof of possession of this item directly in the item description. Proof of possession includes a photo of the actual item and user ID, as well as a photo of the sales receipt for the item. Please go back and check the listing for this information.

:p

i love how the current bid is $1.25 and shipping is $92 :D

AtomicMoose said:
I love how zim posting flushed out Marty and Ben :cool:
its almost like they have alerts setup so when he posts they get notified :eek:

Zim, you looking for trades?

Edit: you still have this or is it gone, just finally looked at the auctions and it looked like it was over. If not, let me know, I'll drive over and pick it up if I have to.

zim01 said:
When you go to load the Yellow Dog linux, the PS3 only will give you 10 gigs of the 60 for the O/S. The PS3 has 2 PPU's, primary processing units and 8 SPU's, synergistic processing units. It also sets up 16, 1024k ram disks(I have no idea for what) So you go WOW, 2 SMP clients would be logical. Then you find out linux only gets 6 SPU's…well OK

The topper…….you have 116144 of free memory…so what client are you going to run?
Answer=NONE I tried SMP and regular.

Until you get one of these

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/ken-kutaragi-sez-i-promise-an-av-centric-ps3/

Anyone on the team want one cheap?????

PS3 has *1* PPU, it's just dual-threaded. Also, PS3's have 7 working SPU's, one of which is devoted to the OS, the other to security/DRM. Likely the OS SPU gets freed up when you install YDL, though, which explains why you see 3.

Nice about the ram, though. nothin' like living in the Pentium II days again, LOL.

Back