• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PS3 Media Streaming

Phu_VGT

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
3
I'm trying to set up Media Streaming from PC to HDTV using PlayStation 3.

Any suggestions, Inputs, Comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
 
Google and download PS3mediaserver or TVersity or if you have Vista/7 turn on media sharing. All 3 applications broadcast DLNA that the PS3 can pick up.

PS3MediaServer does the best with sharing, indexing and transcoding in my experience though.
 
Yup, PS3 Media Server is definitely the way to go. A little inconvenient at times and will outright refuse to play certain files, but it's the best option I've found too.
 
Twonky is another one that works well, though it is a paid for product. I believe they have a free trial if you want to give it a whirl compared to PS3 Media Server.
 
I have worked with probably 8 different streaming applications since the launch of the PS3. PS3mediaserver is about as friendly as it gets.
 
I will also add that the PS3MediaServer is a great product. Just wish it was coded in something other than Java...(hate having that Java Runtime installed on my PCs) :(
 
I realize this may not be an option for you, but in case it is I've found it to be an excellent solution.

I have a separate file server setup (running Ubuntu) that I also use to serve media to DLNA clients like my PS3 and Windows Media Player. For this I use MediaTomb. I tried PS3MediaServer and it never quite got to where I wanted it.
 
I liek how can you can run PS3Mediaserver as a Windows service. Don't even have to think about turning it on.
 
Whats wrong with just putting your media files in your documents/music folder? I never thought of using the ps3mediaserver.
 
I think windows media player does it just fine by itself. All I have to do is set it to allow streaming and share the folders with the media I want to stream on the homegroup. Took all of 5 min and streams beautifully.
 
I realize this may not be an option for you, but in case it is I've found it to be an excellent solution.

I have a separate file server setup (running Ubuntu) that I also use to serve media to DLNA clients like my PS3 and Windows Media Player. For this I use MediaTomb. I tried PS3MediaServer and it never quite got to where I wanted it.

Thanks for that. Might look into that for home theater
 
1.) will PS3MediaServer allow me to play MKV's on PS3's by directly streaming the video (video is already PS3 compatable, from BD) and reencoding the audio as nessisary?

Actually, I use BD video (be it VC-1 H264, whatever) and AAC audio in my MKV's. Any way to get the PS3 to play both directly without transcode (just repackage of the MKV)

And... Is there any way to get proper 24p playback this way?
 
TVersity doesn't support linux, so I went with mediatomb. it's the only one i could find that was part of the default package manager. I've only used it so far to play avi files, but it works great and the ps3 auto-detected it on the network.

so +1 for mediatomb
 
Back
Top