PS3 Loses Linux Support

Ya know besides the reason the vast majority buys them.. Games maybe?

I thought everyone was buying it as a cheap (at the time) bluray player?

I cant think of a single game that would make me want to own a PS3... ever

If your a PC Gamer then I can see this, but if anyone has any interest in consoles the PS3 has several blockbusters. Lot's changed last year imo

Geohot states on his site that he never had any intention for CFW.....'but if that's how you want to play...' Sony's their own worst enemy. I love the PS3, and I don't want to see piracy running rampant, but games on now. Sony just woke a sleeping dragon.

Geohot states on his site that he never had any intention for CFW.....'but if that's how you want to play...' Sony's their own worst enemy. I love the PS3, and I don't want to see piracy running rampant, but games on now. Sony just woke a sleeping dragon.

This will go no where...Fast. Sure he may make CFW...but honestly those who do use the Linux feature are a minority and he's just acting like a baby. If he even for a second would put himself in their shoes he would see their point of view.

C/p

Firmware update 3.21 for the PS3 is coming out tomorrow, and its not adding anything new. For people wondering what this is all about, it removed the other os feature from the fat PS3’s, which in short means no more Linux.

Why is Sony doing this?

Sony is simply doing it to prevent the possibility of Piracy in the future. Hackers have proven that through Linux on the PS3 it is possible that custom firmware could be created, opening up piracy on the PS3. Removing this feature is the only Fail-safe.

Why not just patch it?

The problem with patching something like this would require a hardware fix, which is not possible over the internet. The hack is done by literally tweaking and poking the PS3 hardware to be done, so the only fix would be to remove Linux.

What this means for the Gamer:

This update feels pointless, but almost all the people that use their PS3 as a game platform will opt in to do it simply for access to PSN. A large majority of the people who own a PS3 do not use this feature and those who do rarely use the operating system as its slow and clunky and hard to setup. Once it gets going its ok, but the time and effort it takes to get linux on the PS3 is too much for the average user.

What this means for the few who use Linux on their PS3:

Those that use Linux on heir ps3 have a touch choice, to keep Linux and not update, or to update, losing their Linux partition, and gaining back PSN. This group is going to be the most effected by this update, however it is sch a small user base of the PS3 that Sony would rather do the update and prevent piracy and save money in the long run.

What this means for the PS3 Data Farms:

There are a few companies using several PS3’s connected together to calculate data, such as the Air force. This update means very little to those people as they dont need PSN features as their PS3’s boot directly into Linux.

Could this open up to the removal of more features?:

This does not mean that Sony will remove more features from the PS3 in the future, it only proves they can if they want too. It is highly unlikely that Sony would remove any more features from the PS3 as this is the only feature with a major security hole. Sony is a very smart company, and they don’t want a record of removing features on their name, so this is probably the last time you will see something like this.

What about April Fools?

A April fools joke at this scale is highly unlikely, however is still possible. I wouldn’t say it cant happen, but it probably wont.

One week later:

One week from now we will all forget about this and stop complaining and go back to playing the best game console ever created.

I thought everyone was buying it as a cheap (at the time) bluray player?

that was a cool argument, two years ago.

Well, it looks like I will not be updating my PS3 anytime soon. Of course, the next new game I purchase for it (If I ever purchase a game for it again) Will probably force that damn update.

Well, it looks like I will not be updating my PS3 anytime soon. Of course, the next new game I purchase for it (If I ever purchase a game for it again) Will probably force that damn update.

Do you use the Other-OS feature?

that was a cool argument, two years ago.

wow your response totally made me rethink my opinion, I am going to go out and buy 2000x PS3's :rolleyes:

wow your response totally made me rethink my opinion, I am going to go out and buy 2000x PS3's :rolleyes:

Fail troll is fail :rolleyes:

They didnt awake shit. When you get right down to it if he wasnt hacking around looking for vulnerabilities this shit wouldnt be happening. Everyone that uses the other OS feature thats bitching right now should be pointing a finger at geohot instead they blame sony. All they are doing is covering their asses and doing what any intelligent company would given the circumstances.

LOL @ all the ppl who said it was an April Fools..turns out you were wrong. I updated as you are basically forced to. No more chatting with friends, no more downloading anything etc etc.

Back