• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PS3 keyboard/mouse for gaming?

matrisking

n00b
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
44
I just picked up a PS3 and, believe it or not, I still haven't played Fallout 3 (don't have a PC that can run it well, even will all the settings turned down). My dilemma now is if I should play it on PS3 or wait until I get a decent gaming rig set up since I always prefer keyboard/mouse to the controllers.

So my question is: Can I plug a USB keyboard/mouse into the PS3 and use them for games? I used a keyboard to set up the ps3, navigate menus, enter SSIDs, etc, but I have no clue if the games are programmed for keyboard/mouse input.

Thanks!
 
no you can't. There is an adaptor that you buy (I think... I know they have one for the 360) but I've read that it's very cumbersome. Trust me, get the PC version :) not only is it mod friendly but it looks/performs better too
 
UT3 supports KB/Mouse gaming on the PS3. Never tried any other games.
 
It's called a XIM1 with a PS2/PS3 adaptor... $89.99 on eBay or you can build them for around $40...
 
The adapters are wonky...but they do technically work. I'd definitely "try before you buy" as they still don't fix the fact that they're just emulating an analog stick and it's turn speed. AFAIK the only game that has had native KB/M support on the PS3 has been Unreal Tournament 3.

Fallout 3 is a slow paced game that doesn't require pinpoint aiming (it does it for you with the game mechanics), it has simple menus, and even the PC version is pretty streamlined for pad usage. The PC version is the best just because of the mods and extra eye candy, but the console version is still wonderful. I'd just grab the console version now instead of waiting around if you're antsy to play it.
 
I just picked up a PS3 and, believe it or not, I still haven't played Fallout 3 (don't have a PC that can run it well, even will all the settings turned down). My dilemma now is if I should play it on PS3 or wait until I get a decent gaming rig set up since I always prefer keyboard/mouse to the controllers.

So my question is: Can I plug a USB keyboard/mouse into the PS3 and use them for games? I used a keyboard to set up the ps3, navigate menus, enter SSIDs, etc, but I have no clue if the games are programmed for keyboard/mouse input.

Thanks!

Just play it with the controller on PS3. By no means does FO3 requires a high level of twitch accuracy or anything, and you will spend a lot of time in VATS targeting body parts. Most of the game interface (including the Pip Boy) works better on a controller as well. The PC version is pretty consolized and does not control terribly well with a mouse and keyboard.
 
Back
Top