PS3 info .... Suggestions

M a d c o w

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone ...

Im needing advice on purchasing a PS3 for my son ... I notice that theres different range in drive sizes for PS3. What are the difference on 20, 60, 80 gig's ? What features are different from one another. I asked a friend and he stated that to get the 60 gig cause you can play PS2 games on it as well. Thanks in advance for the replies

20 = No Wifi, No Card Reader, Hardware PS2 support
80 = Wifi, Card Reader, Software PS2 support
60 = Wifi, Card Reader, Hardware PS2 support

If he plans to play alot of PS2 games go with the 60 or 20gb, if not then go with the 80gb (or the 40gb coming out soon, which doesnt play PS2 games at all). Only problem is the 20gb isnt available at retail and the 60gb is being phased out (still some floating around though).

20 GB has no wireless / no card readers / 4x USB / hardware backwards compatability

40 GB has 2 less USB than the 60/80 and no backwards compatability

60 GB (best IMO) has wireless / hardware backwards compatability / 4x USB and media readers

80 GB has wireless / software backwards compatability / 4x USB and media readers

Since I still play some PS2 games I prefer the 60GB, pick whatever one has the best options and you can always swap the HDD for a larger one, any SATA 2.5" drive will work. Right now I have 160GB Seagate Hybrid drive in it without any issues.

Also remember the 80 gig comes with motorstorm (i believe the 60 gig might too... if you can still find one). The 40 gig on its way out will come with Spiderman 3 on Blu Ray.

I'd suggest going for the 60 or 80 gig one because of backwards compatibility. While the 60 gigs is better, the 80's software can't be that bad... Although I don't know from experience

Where are all the 360 owners :D. My friend has the 60 gig and almost all his old ps2 games work fine. But i think he selling it for a 360.

good call yeah the 80 comes with motor storm, and the 40 comes with spiderman 3 on blu-ray

from what I have seen on other boards. The Software Backwards compatibility works about 85% of the time and the hardware works about 95% of the time. So if you have a very large collection of PS2 games it may be worth it for you to search out a 60 gig version. The 80 gig version will be fine for you if you you only have the more common games and want to get the free PS3 game MotorStorm

Hi everyone ...

Im needing advice on purchasing a PS3 for my son ... I notice that theres different range in drive sizes for PS3. What are the difference on 20, 60, 80 gig's ? What features are different from one another. I asked a friend and he stated that to get the 60 gig cause you can play PS2 games on it as well. Thanks in advance for the replies

Where the hell can you still get a 20gb PS3?

Might be able to hunt one down somewhere, and he didn't say it had to be new :D

Might be able to hunt one down somewhere, and he didn't say it had to be new :D
Indeed, if I had to pick one at the moment, a used 20gb for $300-$350 is by far the best value, unless you desperately need WiFi.

BTW....just in case you didnt know.

Unless you have a High Def TV...honestly the PS3 graphics look completely crappy. I turned mine on the first day i got it with motorstorm, and run to the store the get the component cables fast enough.

Wierd...On my PS3 the graphics were pretty good on my older TV. Even better once i got my Hi-Def set tho. To get the best of either the 360 or the PS3, you almost HAVE to have a Hi-Def TV imo.

Back