PS3 Hackers Unban Themselves, Ban Others

Better get that PS4 out ASAP; the PS3 is a sieve of exploits.

As long as the PS3 exists, they will struggle with these problems. Every time they squash a bug, there will be ten new ones waiting.

i don't see anything wrong with sony banning modded consoles from their network, but i must say this is pretty funny stuff.

Some poor bastard out there is going to get screwed for no reason. I don't see the humor in that.

it is only funny until someone makes a brute force ban program that goes through every possible console id and bans all of them...

ROTFL! Unbanning!

Best news today on the ps3 front... I'm just happy I never bought one, not that it would really be mine anyway...

Y.

Agreed, They should just hang a sign and say what it realy is.
For Rent PS3 $299.00 and rent your games for only$60.00 or there abouts if you agree to the EULA, or go next door and rent a PS3 plus 2 games for the weekend for only $19.99 and throw in a 2 litter of Pop and a bag of pop corn.

Agreed, They should just hang a sign and say what it realy is.
For Rent PS3 $299.00 and rent your games for only$60.00 or there abouts if you agree to the EULA, or go next door and rent a PS3 plus 2 games for the weekend for only $19.99 and throw in a 2 litter of Pop and a bag of pop corn.

With the way the console forum usually is, I cannot believe the PS3 isn't being defended in this thread.

With the way the console forum usually is, I cannot believe the PS3 isn't being defended in this thread.

I love my PS3s they basically replaced my cable box but what Sony is doing is ridiculous. They are targeting individuals they aren't just banning modded boxes. If that is all they were doing no one would care. And that giant EULA that I had to scroll through for 5 minutes the other day just to log into the PSN Network was just ridiculous.

makes me wanna sell my ps3

sony is pathetic...
Really? Because they have to find a way thwart the hackers? I'll be concerned when playing purchased games on the system becomes an issue. Until then I'll keep my PS3 and enjoy gaming on it as I always have. You should probably do the same. Loss of the "Other OS" option is something to be upset about but only if it really impacted you in some way. I find it hard to believe that hobbyists really give a shit about "Other OS" given how limited the hardware access is when using it.

It's still funny to read that the hackers unbanned themselves, ^5s to them, well played.

Well, it started with removal of OtherOS. Then coupling Netflix to PSN required keeping up to date with updates. Then 3.56 added rootkit-like functionality, and given Sony's history of that and gathering unwarranted amounts of information, I held off. So I had netflix (the disc) then I didn't have it, then I installed unbuntu and had it again, then they removed linux, then I had it again provided I kept updating, then I didn't have it again, etc.

The fact is, you cannot trust them. They are removing and changing functionality which I bought the system for. It's in bad faith and a complete f'ing nuisance.and being a complete f'ing nuisance about it.

Why did you keep updating your OS? It warned you about a four times during the update that it was going to remove OtherOS functionality.

Why did you get rid of your netflix disc?

Why do you have a problem with being required to be on PSN at the same time you are using netflix? The sign-in is automatic and you can use any junk email address to set up an account.

Why did you keep updating your OS? It warned you about a four times during the update that it was going to remove OtherOS functionality.

Why do you have a problem with being required to be on PSN at the same time you are using netflix? The sign-in is automatic and you can use any junk email address to set up an account.

Okay go to my issue. OtherOS and Blu-Ray playback.

Really? Because they have to find a way thwart the hackers?
yeah seriously
*if* i had a ps3 what would make me quit is if Sony did nothing. I buy my games so it wouldnt be fair to see people pirate theirs and play online with no problems. Or even worse cheaters infesting online matches without getting banned.

Better get that PS4 out ASAP; the PS3 is a sieve of exploits.

As long as the PS3 exists, they will struggle with these problems. Every time they squash a bug, there will be ten new ones waiting.

Supposedly they are releasing a new slim model that will address this.

Okay go to my issue. OtherOS and Blu-Ray playback.

I would never have updated and lost OtherOS if newer Blu-Rays didn't require an updated AACS code that Sony only includes in full system updates. It was either negatively affect my 100ish and growing BD collection, or lose linux. Tons of bad faith they have generated as a manufacturer there.

I agree it sucks, but they didn't steal any thing from you and you were warned about losing features. They also had no obligation to keep the BluRay playback up to do and would be completely within rights to have simply not gone through the effort to let it play new discs.

I bought a ps3 last week because of the exploits. I wanted to get one before 3.56 started coming pre-installed. With that said, I don't give a crap about playing ps3 games. I solely bought it so I can play emulators and mess with homebrew stuff.

I bought a ps3 last week because of the exploits. I wanted to get one before 3.56 started coming pre-installed. With that said, I don't give a crap about playing ps3 games. I solely bought it so I can play emulators and mess with homebrew stuff.

lol

I did the same with a Dreamcast. Well, except I did buy games for it... And the system cost $50 at the time, not $300...

If sony charged for online play they could afford a capable security team to prevent this from happening.

I will never understand how Microsoft brainwashed an entire generation of gamers into thinking non-hosted internet matchmaking was worth paying $60/year for.

I will never understand how Microsoft brainwashed an entire generation of gamers into thinking non-hosted internet matchmaking was worth paying $60/year for.

I don't know....

to their defense, though... I heard that they (don't know first hand) handle game match making well.... but again.... that, if true, is not worth 10 dollars, let alone 50 ... and now 60.

I still have the netflix disc - it stopped working sometime last fall. I was tired of dealing with linux for a media player and when netflix was made available as an app, it seemed worth it so I traded linux for netflix on 3.55. That worked for about a month, because they soon required 3.56 to use netflix, which comes with all kinds of crap I would never agree to.

I was careful to wait untill 3.55 was fully hacked before upgrading to it (OFW via USB), to ensure I had a CFW or downgrade path, which you clearly don't have once you go 3.56.

So, it's not a matter of being signed into PSN, the problem is the changes they keep making with the firmware updates that are not in my interests. I will never update to another firmware, unless it has been disseminated by a "third party". I think my PS3 days are coming to a close. It's too bad, it was a very nicely designed system in many respects.

I did the same with a Dreamcast. Well, except I did buy games for it... And the system cost $50 at the time, not $300...

I had a japanese Dreamcast before US launch, and also bought a US Dreamcast at launch (9/9/99 at midnight!) that I still have.

I've got a lot of video game systems, but really wanted to be able to consolidate them all into one that also can natively output rgb/component signals. It's a pain having to get old consoles modified for that stuff, and I hate messing with SCART connectors. The PS3 has a good controller that has enough buttons to emulate all systems, plus is has USB ports that can be used for other peripherals. :)

they should have designed it to be impossible to open/service maybe encapsulate the motherboard in epoxy and have heat pipes or water cooling in a closed loop then not only could it have been infinitely harder to get to the point they did where they were able to do it with software they could have made the machine much harder to overheat and alot quieter...

they should have designed it to be impossible to open/service maybe encapsulate the motherboard in epoxy and have heat pipes or water cooling in a closed loop then not only could it have been infinitely harder to get to the point they did where they were able to do it with software they could have made the machine much harder to overheat and alot quieter...

Reason you didn't get one.:D

I've never had my ps3 or x360 overheat. Of course, my PS3 80gb is quieter than others and my xbox 360 jasper is louder than others, which may say something about quality control in these things. Or dust. Who knows.

Back