PS3 gaming w/controller?

walkman

Limp Gawd
These days I play maybe 1 game a year on the PC.

I finally got around to trying "Uncharted 2" on the PS3 since it's been so highly rated. This is my first real game (other than Move sports) on the PS3. I gave up after the 2nd chapter -- I just couldn't take the repetitive attempts at getting past some sneak segment.

I remember playing Lara Croft back in the day, but Uncharted was too painful trying to control the character while looking around and moving with the PS3 controller.

Is this a typical experience moving from PC controls to a console? Or is it more to do with the nature of Uncharted?

I grew up playing both and never have much trouble switching from pad to M/KB control.

Still can't aim for shit in console FPS games, though.

BTW, that stealth section in UC2 is very short and the rest of the game doesn't have much stealth (in fact, I think that's the only mandatory segment.) You should tough it out. UC2 is one of the best Hollywood blockbuster style turn your brain off and play games.

Walk it off and keep trying. it gets easier as you get accustomed to everything.

Is this a typical experience moving from PC controls to a console? Or is it more to do with the nature of Uncharted?

You aren't the only person who feels like they are wrestling with the controller just to try and enjoy games.

Patience and practice will adjust you to it over time, but if keep thinking "Damn! This would be so much easier with a keyboard!"

Well...maybe that's something too.

I finally got around to trying "Uncharted 2" on the PS3 since it's been so highly rated. This is my first real game (other than Move sports) on the PS3. I gave up after the 2nd chapter -- I just couldn't take the repetitive attempts at getting past some sneak segment.
I remember playing Lara Croft back in the day, but Uncharted was too painful trying to control the character while looking around and moving with the PS3 controller.
To answer your question, Yes.
I still have trouble playing FPSs on the PS3 so when it comes to FPS, I stick to PC unless it is a PS3 exclusive.
Stick with Uncharted, it is a really good game.
Maybe try it on easy that way it is not driving you crazy and you can focus more on getting used to controls as well as enjoying the game.
I used to play on PC all the time however now other than FPSs and games like Guild Wars/Starcraft I game on the PS3 mostly.

I've always hated the PlayStation controller, so I'd assume it has more to do with that than moving from M/KB to controllers in general. You will get used to it in no time, though I'm sure. Playing even FPS games with controllers are second-nature for me now.

There are options to use a keyboard/mouse combo on a PS3. I haven't used them, since a play FPS on the PC and play the other exclusive titles like Uncharted and God of War on the PS3 and I really don't have too many issues playing with a PS3 controller, though I'd rather play Uncharted with keyboard/mouse combo. I couldn't imagine playing FPS with a controller, it's beyond frustrating and the few times I have tried I stopped within a few minutes.

The simplest options would probably be Eagle Eye. From what I've read there's some small issues using it for a few games, but overall it'll work like a keyboard and mouse will work like on a PC. I have thought about buying it but I'd only use it for Killzone and Resistance and I'm not sure if those games would even be worth it to me.

Last edited:

While I completed this game I couldn't help thinking many times during playing it how much better it would be with a mouse/keyboard. This was pretty much the last game I played on console. I'm sticking to PC for now on.

I had only done a few hours total of FPS gaming on others' consoles before getting a PS3 myself last month. It was always awkward using console controllers, but now, after a little practice in Killzone 2 skirmish mode, I'm very comfortable with the analog stick controls.

On the PC, my mouse control scheme has always been inverted-Y at high/maximum sensitivity (I invert Y on the PS3, too). I never liked the normal orientation because it felt too much like desktop point-and-clicking.

The analog sticks provide a new challenge that requires a bit more anticipation and finesse, and a little less twitching.

I am a big KB/M guy, but I had no problem with Uncharted 2's control. With the cover system, and non-twitch gameplay, I found it very easy to get used to. However, throw me a twitch shooter, and I will suck.

As for the stealth part, yes...it is annoying because they give you no tutorial, but it is very short.

If memory serves me right, you drop down on the right side, knock the guard leaning on the pillar. Jump in the fountain, and knock the guarding lean on the fountain will being in the fountain. Climb to the ledge on the right. You will alert the guard, but you can quickly pull him over the ledge. Finally, take cover on one of the two pillars. Your partner will take out one guard, you take out the other. After that, you are home free.

There should be tons of video on youtube. Don't give up on that game, it is a fantastic game.

I have a computer and I use a controller. I don't understand.

Back