PS3 from craigslist

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I am looking to buy a PS3 and thinking about getting a used one,I have been looking on Craigslist around my area for PS3's and i see some pretty good deal. Has anyone got a PS3 from craigslist before? anything i should look out for ?

That's like asking if there's anything specific to look for if you buy from a flea market :) Craigslist runs the whole gamut...from scammers to desperate to sell people and all in between. If someone won't let you see the machine working in person, don't buy it.

i just picked up a used one from ebay and everyone was perfect until 2 hours in the drive stopped reading...

so i went to the store and just got a new one. now i have the joy of going through the process of getting my money back.

The problem with craigslist is there is no buyer protection. But at least you can test it though before you buy if the person will let you. I just think people looking to rip off someone would much more likely look at CL than eBay.

I picked up my PS3 via a direct swap for a Wii, and it's been working flawlessly. Just use common sense, make sure you can see the unit in action, and don't be afraid to back out if it doesn't seem right.

My experience with Craigslist so far has been decent. I find that it's pretty good if you're comfortable with interacting face to face with strangers. That, and you don't have to fork over listing fees/final value fees (like Ebay).

Like the others have said, just be careful with some of the people/listings there.

I picked up a 40Gb PS3 off Craigslist with no issue. Just make sure you can test it before handing over the cash.

I bought an arcade machine from Craigslist and the specs on the pc inside that was running the machine were different from what was said in the ad.

Just be cautious.

If you can pick it up at the seller's house that should alleviate all concerns. I sold my old PS3 on Craigs and it was in perfect shape. It's the best route to go for buying a used PS3 other than maybe the FS/FT here... ^_^

There is a problem with having them show you whether it works or not when you buy... that means you would actually have to step into someone's house who you never met before. No thanks...

My suggestion dude, just buy a PS3 off of ebay from a high feedback seller (97%+). And also, buy a 60gb. PS3. It has the card slots and the backwards compatibility.

that means you would actually have to step into someone's house who you never met before. No thanks....

so what? i've done it before when buying from craigslist. And I've had strangers in my house too. I don't see how it's a problem

so what? i've done it before when buying from craigslist. And I've had strangers in my house too. I don't see how it's a problem

Well, I just say with at least when you do stuff over Ebay there's a little more guarantee and you don't have to put up with other people's bullshit. Like, you give the person idk... $300+ then if the PS3 doesn't work then the other person drags ass to get you your money back... etc. etc. or gives you some lame excuse... just a lots of different possibilities. At least if you do business with someone on ebay who has sold a lot of stuff and has good feedback you have some level of guarantee, even a return policy.

So, if you do in fact decide to buy a PS3 I guess write up some sort of paperwork and have the seller sign it just in case to cover your own ass.

Craigslist is a gamble yes, I bought a motorcycle off there though. It was garage kept, low miles, no damage anywhere perfect. Got it 3 years ago and is one of my best buys to date. But if you are worried because craigslist has a lot of scammers, ebay might be a good choice. See the PS3 actually work, get a written agreement, Never show cash upfront, and go in at least a group of two. You can get a great deal really, just be cautious.

Bought my car (2001 Grand Am) off of craigslist. Things I did to make sure it was ok:

-Met with the guy and test drove it 4 times
-Took it into a mechanic to see what needed to get fixed (turns out a lot, which he ended up fixing for free as part of the deal)
-Ran the VIN
-Checked for news/input on the dealer

Long story short...apply it to your PS3:
-Meet the guy
-Play some games on it
-Look it over really carefully
-Check to see if the user (very tricky to do) has any negative experiences

GO SLOW and dont be afraid to say no. Theres a ton of PS3's out there and just because one guy has one for sale doesnt mean you HAVE to buy it from him.

In addition to some of the great advice people have already given, I find that you can tell a good deal about the seller (or buyer) from the way they respond to communication.

I've found that the more genuine folks write more clearly and usually won't mind giving a detailed description and/or pictures, and are usually more prompt with correspondence.

This can help give good or bad vibes about a particular deal.

Alternatively, Dell usually has 10-15% off coupons that you can use towards home electronics, including consoles. Sign up for their newsletter and keep an eye out for deals online. For example, the coupon in this thread may work:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1422919

I sold my house on craigslist - true story. Usually when I try to sell games or something though I get 99% stupid nigerian scammers.

I bought a 80gb ps3 on CL for $300, and it came with four games and some accessories I didn't need. Wounded up selling a couple of the games and stuff that came with it and got a $100 for it. So $200 for a ps3 aint bad, that's about how much a stand alone blu ray player goes 4. Only thing is it's a 1st gen, and I think the specs are weaker compared to the new gen ps3s or something, as it uses the 90nm stuff or whatever. But I needed a 1st gen so that I could play my ps2 games(rayman 3 and crash bandicot, bubble bobble, etc.) Any ways it plays fine so far. Fan kind of got loud at first but I modded it a bit and it stays pretty quiet now, and will probably put one of those 320gb hard drives in there for $65.

I

Oh yah, craigslist is better than ebay because you deal locally, and get to try out the ps3 as others have already stated. I see no reason to buy or sell on ebay unless you either:

A) Have a weak craigslist community in your area
B) Like paying shipping fees
C) Don't like dealing with people face to face
D) Want to take a greater risk of getting scammed, especially when the person you are buying the item from is hundreds / thousands of miles away.

Back