PS3 Controller with Windows

dreamwriter

Limp Gawd
I've been trying to use a PS3 6 Axis to play Mafia 2 on a Win 10 PC. Connected by USB, it is fully recognized by the PC, but does nothing in the game...no control. Someone suggested downloading a new or custom driver for the PS3 6 Axis, but I seeno way to do that.

Not really possible without downloading something that's basically spywareand/or malware. (Motioninjoy) If you've got a PS4 controller on hand those just work without anything special.

Honestly do yourself a favor.

Get an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller.

I got sick and tired of dealing with all the wonkiness with the Dualshock 3 and 4. Even though Sony finally made a wireless USB adapter for the DS4, it was still wonky as shit.

I got an Xbox One controller and as soon as I connected the USB, it automatically installed and worked. Even connecting with regular bluetooth was painless (launch model Xbox One controller doesn't have normal blue-tooth and requires a USB wireless adapter. So avoid the old controllers).

Even if you are a Sony fanboy / anti-xbox, you'll appreciate the Xbox One controller after the first 5 seconds.

The DS4 + Sony's official wireless dongle typically works great. The only catch is that a lot of games treat it like an Xinput (Xbox) controller, so the button prompts are all based on that controller. Some newer titles have actual PS4 prompts, though.
The Xbox controller IS the best option 95% of the time, but the PS controllers still have a vastly better setup for d-pad games. In particular the DS2 and DS3 pads...which I don't think work with the wireless dongle.

I've been trying to use a PS3 6 Axis to play Mafia 2 on a Win 10 PC. Connected by USB, it is fully recognized by the PC, but does nothing in the game...no control. Someone suggested downloading a new or custom driver for the PS3 6 Axis, but I seeno way to do that.

Connecting the PS3 controller to PC and getting it to be usable was beyond frustrating but it is possible. You need a program which uses an xinput wrapper to make the OS believe that your PS3 controller is an Xbox controller. Most of these such as BetterDS3 are derivatives of MotioninJoy which is one of the worst pieces of software ever.

While it is no longer being developed, I think that SCPToolkit allows for PS3 controller integration, I would take a look at that.

Connecting the PS3 controller to PC and getting it to be usable was beyond frustrating but it is possible. You need a program which uses an xinput wrapper to make the OS believe that your PS3 controller is an Xbox controller. Most of these such as BetterDS3 are derivatives of MotioninJoy which is one of the worst pieces of software ever.

While it is no longer being developed, I think that SCPToolkit allows for PS3 controller integration, I would take a look at that.

I've been using Padstar, which I believe is a warpper as well as game profile installer,

So would you use an Xbox controller instead? Know of anything inexpensive but good? I don't mind USB,

I've been using Padstar, which I believe is a warpper as well as game profile installer,

So would you use an Xbox controller instead? Know of anything inexpensive but good? I don't mind USB,

I think controller preference is entirely subjective. I got a DS4 controller because when I went to buy one, the Xbox one controller was out of stock.

The original Xbone controller can't connect via bluetooth and requires a dongle to be used wireless. The Xbone S controllers changed that and they can be used via bluetooth. I find the analog sticks to be much better with the Xbox controller than the DS4 controller and the Dpad is much better than the 360 controller. I believe the first set of triggers have a pretty tactile click to them instead of having a linear actuation like with the Playstation controllers.

I had a PS3 controller before getting a PS4 controller. I will say the battery life on the new controller is less than half comparatively. It is a much better made controller with much better analog sticks and L2 R2 triggers. Some of the software programs allow you to use the touchpad as a mouse which is pretty cool although ScpToolkit does not allow you to do this.

If I had to do it again, I likely would have picked up an Xbox controller due to better integration with Windows and most games.

I think controller preference is entirely subjective. I got a DS4 controller because when I went to buy one, the Xbox one controller was out of stock...

....I had a PS3 controller before getting a PS4 controller. I will say the battery life on the new controller is less than half comparatively. It is a much better made controller with much better analog sticks and L2 R2 triggers. Some of the software programs allow you to use the touchpad as a mouse which is pretty cool although ScpToolkit does not allow you to do this.

If I had to do it again, I likely would have picked up an Xbox controller due to better integration with Windows and most games.

Any recommendations for an Xbox controller, or is the only one model?

By the way, did you ever replace the battery in the PS3 six axis controller?

Any recommendations for an Xbox controller, or is the only one model?

By the way, did you ever replace the battery in the PS3 six axis controller?

Just make sure to get an Xbox One S controller, but then again I am not sure you can buy an older version anymore. Edit: Avoid Model 1537/1697 and look for Model 1708 or newer.

No, I never replaced the batteries because the battery life was always great. The PS4 controllers battery life leaves something to be desired.

Just make sure to get an Xbox One S controller, but then again I am not sure you can buy an older version anymore. Edit: Avoid Model 1537/1697 and look for Model 1708 or newer.

No, I never replaced the batteries because the battery life was always great. The PS4 controllers battery life leaves something to be desired.

Thanks! The reason I want to replace the battery on the PS3 controller is because I burnt it out (out of ignorance) by letting it charge too long from the console.

Thanks! The reason I want to replace the battery on the PS3 controller is because I burnt it out (out of ignorance) by letting it charge too long from the console.
Ah I understand. There is a pretty good guide available on Ifixit for replacing the battery, it doesn't look difficult.

I'd be cautious of using normal Bluetooth dongles if you're playing anything that requires a lot of rapid inputs. I did some testing with 3 different Bluetooth dongles vs. the proprietary dongles from MS and Sony.
The easiest test is doing Zangief's super move in Street Fighter 4, which requires two consecutive 270-degree inputs followed by hitting 3 buttons. With Bluetooth, my execution of that move was about 30%. With the official adapters it was closer to 90%. In looking at the input display on the screen, it would drop 1-2 directional inputs at random. That probably doesn't matter with most games, but it if you're playing anything input heavy it could be frustrating.

I'd be cautious of using normal Bluetooth dongles if you're playing anything that requires a lot of rapid inputs. I did some testing with 3 different Bluetooth dongles vs. the proprietary dongles from MS and Sony.
The easiest test is doing Zangief's super move in Street Fighter 4, which requires two consecutive 270-degree inputs followed by hitting 3 buttons. With Bluetooth, my execution of that move was about 30%. With the official adapters it was closer to 90%. In looking at the input display on the screen, it would drop 1-2 directional inputs at random. That probably doesn't matter with most games, but it if you're playing anything input heavy it could be frustrating.

Frank;y. I would rather have a wired, USB connection because of lag. Does the Xbox One S have a USB option?

Very interesting.. I wonder what sets them apart in throughput. Truthfully I found bluetooth dongle options lacking in general when I bought mine.

Frank;y. I would rather have a wired, USB connection because of lag. Does the Xbox One S have a USB option?

I don't believe it does. It's just for charging and updating firmware. The PS4 only added that option (where data goes through the actual cable) in the last year.

I don't believe it does. It's just for charging and updating firmware. The PS4 only added that option (where data goes through the actual cable) in the last year.

So the Xbox One S is Bluetooth enabled? Any noticeable lag?

This isn't entirely true, at least not for PC. You were able to use the first gen PS4 controller via USB connection for PC, just not with the console itself.

This isn't entirely true, at least not for PC. You were able to use the first gen PS4 controller via USB connection for PC, just not with the console itself.

Yup, it has always worked that way on the PC, they just added it in for the actual console last year.
I haven't used anything corded in a long time, but I did buy a long USB cable when the PS4 controller first came out just to try it out. At the time it just worked as a generic gamepad (with some functions registering as POV hats and toggles), but things have gotten better with the official dongle release. As far as I can tell plugging it in still makes it show up as a generic gamepad. When charging mine up, I've noticed that it occasionally doesn't show up right and it's usually when it's not connected via the dongle and my PC is just seeing the cabled version.

Damn I've never been able to pull the zangier pile diver move.

Damn I've never been able to pull the zangier pile diver move.

Here's a secret - you don't actually have to do a 360 to execute it. It's only a 270 degree motion, so it's a 1/2 circle motion + one more direction. I usually go from forward rolling the stick/pad to up+back...but you can actually do the motion any way you want as long as you hit 6 directions. In a few of the games you have to do it ultra-quick (like the Alpha series), but SF4 and SF5 are really lenient.
The double spin motions are REALLY hard to do without jumping so most people do those after a normal attack. For instance, a standing kick keeps you grounded long enough to do the motion before Zangief jumps. You can also do the motion during a dash in some of the games.

Here's a secret - you don't actually have to do a 360 to execute it. It's only a 270 degree motion, so it's a 1/2 circle motion + one more direction. I usually go from forward rolling the stick/pad to up+back...but you can actually do the motion any way you want as long as you hit 6 directions. In a few of the games you have to do it ultra-quick (like the Alpha series), but SF4 and SF5 are really lenient.
The double spin motions are REALLY hard to do without jumping so most people do those after a normal attack. For instance, a standing kick keeps you grounded long enough to do the motion before Zangief jumps. You can also do the motion during a dash in some of the games.

The funny thing about the PS3 controller is it it is fully recognized by my Windows 7 PC, and calibrating it works. It just doesn't work in Mafia 2 on the PC. I haven't tried any of the games.

Moreover the PS3 works both wirelessly and with USB on the PS3 console.

The funny thing about the PS3 controller is it it is fully recognized by my Windows 7 PC, and calibrating it works. It just doesn't work in Mafia 2 on the PC. I haven't tried any of the games.

Moreover the PS3 works both wirelessly and with USB on the PS3 console.

https://github.com/Jays2Kings/DS4Windows/releases

Boomshackalaka

Basically, makes games think a PS3/PS4 Controller is an Xbox Controller

Works fairly well

Very interesting Thanks.

But it's weird the switches on the PS# controller all work when calibrating, but do nothing in game. Puzzling.

You bet.

I've seen this happen before with Playstation controllers and you need to go into the device properties and change the device type.

It's weird.

You bet.

I've seen this happen before with Playstation controllers and you need to go into the device properties and change the device type.

It's weird.

What options did the properties tab give you for device type, and what did you choose?

I didn't read the thread after my last post but if you ever consider the Xbox controller route, they do drop in price often.

Slickdeal history (Recently there was an open-box deal for $26).

Here is some info I came across back in 2016. So it isn't as relevant as it was before (unless you are buying a used controller).

Model 1537 (Black) = Original Xbox one controller

Model 1697 (Black) = 1st Revison with 3.5mm headset jack and improved bumpers

Model 1698 (Black-ish) = Elite control, fancy stuff, and mad expensive.

Model 1708 (White) = 2nd Revison with added bluetooth and texture grips. It is also the stock controller for the white Xbox One S console.

PC Bundle (Black) = Model 1537 with USB cable

Wireless PC Bundle (Black) = Model 1697 with wireless USB dongle

------------

Apparently the old 1537 controllers are still floating around on the shelves so be wary about that.

There should be a black model 1708 now as well as other colors.

I didn't read the thread after my last post but if you ever consider the Xbox controller route, they do drop in price often.

Slickdeal history (Recently there was an open-box deal for $26).

Here is some info I came across back in 2016. So it isn't as relevant as it was before (unless you are buying a used controller).

Model 1537 (Black) = Original Xbox one controller

Model 1697 (Black) = 1st Revison with 3.5mm headset jack and improved bumpers

Model 1698 (Black-ish) = Elite control, fancy stuff, and mad expensive.

Model 1708 (White) = 2nd Revison with added bluetooth and texture grips. It is also the stock controller for the white Xbox One S console.

PC Bundle (Black) = Model 1537 with USB cable

Wireless PC Bundle (Black) = Model 1697 with wireless USB dongle

------------

Apparently the old 1537 controllers are still floating around on the shelves so be wary about that.

There should be a black model 1708 now as well as other colors.

Thanks. If I can't solve the problem with the PS3, the Xbox controller seems the way to go. I appreciate it,

Very interesting Thanks.

But it's weird the switches on the PS# controller all work when calibrating, but do nothing in game. Puzzling.
under settings there is an option for "hide ds4" try that. I didn't realize the ds4windows worked with ds3 controllers or I would have suggested that. my little siste prefers ds4 controller so I have that setup for her and that tick box was needed to get it to work correctly with everything. there is also a tick box on the profile section for dinput for old games that wont use xinput.

under settings there is an option for "hide ds4" try that. I didn't realize the ds4windows worked with ds3 controllers or I would have suggested that. my little siste prefers ds4 controller so I have that setup for her and that tick box was needed to get it to work correctly with everything. there is also a tick box on the profile section for dinput for old games that wont use xinput.

Under Properties?

try that. the dinput thing requires that this is turned off and is only for old games that xinput wont work with.
upload_2018-6-26_15-58-30.png

upload_2018-6-26_16-0-59.png

Buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. They're cheap. Thank me later.

Buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. They're cheap. Thank me later.

I may do that. Most all of them are only available on ebay. Most of these have a mix of good reviews, with others claiming the device is counterfeit. The joys of fleabay.

Why the 360? Others have recommended the S.

no prob but did it work?
some prefer the feel of the 360 over the xb1 I got used to an xb1 and prefer it now. you can use any xb1 wired and it pnp but the newest will work via Bluetooth 4+ as well or all work with the xb1 wireless adapter(afaik).

The Xbox 360 controller is way more sturdy than the Xbox One controllers. I have 5 of them and 4 of those are 13 years old. It's heavier as a result, though. I've managed to break the shoulder buttons on 3 different Xbox One controllers since it launched.
Both work the same way in every game I've tried, though. In-game prompts mostly look like the Xbox One controller now, but it's not like they look that different.

Back