PS3 backwards compatability

Grimham

[H]ard|Gawd
How do PS2 games look on a PS3? I know on the Xbox 360 the Xbox1 games look even better because it performs AA. Does the PS3 do this as well? I've heard that PS2 games actually look worse on a PS3, is this correct or has this been fixed if it was an issue. I'm thinking of buying a PS3 and I just want to make sure the PS2 games will still look at least as good as being played on a PS2. BTW, the PS3 I'm thinking about getting is a used 60GB version with the hardware chip (emotion engine) for PS2 backwards compatability. Thanks.

BTW, the PS3 I'm thinking about getting is a used 60GB version with the hardware chip (emotion engine) for PS2 backwards compatability. Thanks.

Good choice, my 80gb ps3 does a crappy job of playing some ps2 games (Naruto ultimate ninja 3 for instance) it keeps freezing and is unavoidable. As far as the graphics, I don't notice a difference, though it does look nice when playing Street Fighter Anthology on a 60" plasma. Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3 had a lot of jaggies, but that is normal for ps2 games.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 upscales. Anyway, the PS2 games look about the same, but if you put them in widescreen, the proportions are a little wonky.

Games look great on my bro in laws crt 60" tv. I have a 60GB launch console and mostly all the PS2 games show some improvement (not AA).

I have an 80GB and PS2 games look good. I haven't encountered a game that wouldn't play yet, but I only have 20 or so PS2 titles. However, I'm not really into fighting games which the poster up above seems to enjoy.

PS1 games don't show much if any improvement. ePSXe plays them a lot better. I literally put PS1 discs in my computer instead of my PS3 to play.

The games look ok on my 80GB, but i find they run kinda slow. Soul Calibur 3 seems a fair bit slower than on the PS2

Has there been any speculation (confirmed or not) as to whether the 40GB PS3 will ever have BC added via a software update?

60GB fighting games should look just like a PS2 game, black bars and everything. I've tested pretty much every Street Fighter, Tekken, SC, etc. game and they're all fine.
The 60GB model will make 'em look a little cleaner, but not better. The upscaler just makes them look native, but it won't improve anything.

what about homebrew ps2 emulators? On my psp I can play many many different emulators the ps3 shouldn't be too much different.

Anyways I wouldn't rule out ps2 emulation on the 40 giger, but it will either be homebrew or cost money.

[T5K]thrasher;1032462437 said:
Um.. Isn't that how the 80GB does it? Figure It would only cost them the bandwidth to let people with 40's download it.
The 80gb still has PS2 hardware in it.

[T5K]thrasher;1032462629 said:

This has been gone over repeatedly here, how are people still not clear on it. Seems every couple of months this gets trotted back out for a rehash. Sony eliminated one piece of the hardware from the 80gb, the Emotion Engine, but kept the GS portion. The cell takes the place of the EE through emulation.

The 40GB has nothing from the PS2 in it, hence no BC at all.

edit: good lord it took me for-EVER to find this, has all the comparative details you could ever hope for as it pertains to ps3 models and BC http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/sony-could-run-bc-on-40gb-ps3s-they-just-dont-want-to-308467.php

The games look ok on my 80GB, but i find they run kinda slow. Soul Calibur 3 seems a fair bit slower than on the PS2

if you are upconverting, rather than running the game at native rez then there is a chance you may be experiencing some slow down/input lag, whatever you want to call it.

I know I've noticed it on SSX3.

[T5K]thrasher;1032463590 said:
Ah, thats lame. There already emulating the hard part :p
You think the GPU is the less complicated of the two jobs? I guess we'll all have full emulation pretty soon then.

This has been gone over repeatedly here, how are people still not clear on it. Seems every couple of months this gets trotted back out for a rehash. Sony eliminated one piece of the hardware from the 80gb, the Emotion Engine, but kept the GS portion. The cell takes the place of the EE through emulation.

The 40GB has nothing from the PS2 in it, hence no BC at all.

edit: good lord it took me for-EVER to find this, has all the comparative details you could ever hope for as it pertains to ps3 models and BC http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/sony-could-run-bc-on-40gb-ps3s-they-just-dont-want-to-308467.php
Thanks for that clarification, I had no idea. I knew the "PS2 hardware" had been taken out, but I thought it had been taken out completely on both models. Very interesting that they left one of the pieces to the PS2 puzzle in place on the 80GB model. I definitely didn't realize that, and might have looked a little harder for an 80GB model if I had realized.

Back