ps3 and lcd monitors

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
I cant afford a new lcd tv and my parents wont give me thiers, so im stuck with my 21" lcd monitor. My monitor works great with my 360 using a vga adapter provided by microsoft. I have a dvi slot open so i found out i could use a hdmi/dvi cord with my ps3 but my monitor doesnt support 480p/720p/1080i/1080p just res's 1440x900 to be exact on my 360. Would there be a noticible difference in graphics quality between the 2 types on the ps3?

And would i be able to take advantage of blueray even though i dont have 1080p support?

playing modernwarfare 2 with my 360 on my lcd monitor at the above res looks really good and sharp love it.

I would really hope i could get the same with my ps3.

So if anyone has the info let me know.

Should work just as well as the xbox360, I use a monitor, as far as blu ray goes, your monitor will only show as many pixels as it can, I'm not sure if blu ray won't work if you don't have a hdcp monitor, mine is.

thanks for the reply.

I love my monitor i would hate to have to ditch it for one that is both tv/monitor just to get 1080p.

I want the high response time and the same type crisp graphics i got with vga plugin that microsoft sold for people with monitors. I just hope i can get the same graphics or better using hdmi/dvi cord for my ps3. Ireally dont care about blueray i guess until i can get something with 1080p.

So no graphic difference between dvi and hdmi?

did some research and i can use my monitor with a ps3 but gaming at 1440x900 i think = 720p. If i can get my parents to shell out 200 bucks for a 22" or 23" monitor what res would = 1080p? Blue ray is alast on my list, im all about demon souls right now.

Basically only PSN games run at 1080p, so what exactly is it that you're trying to achieve? There's about a million 1920x1080 monitors with HDMI to chose from, most of them in the 24" department. If you don't want to change monitor a HDMI->DVI cable is your best bet. Since most games run at way below 720 lines 1440x900 should work nicely.

make sure your LCD does HDCP over DVI also or you won't be getting any HDMI output from it which I discovered a couple weeks ago with my new ps3 ;(

my mom shelled out 200 bucks on a monitor that is hdcp and uses both dvi-d and vga inputs 23" LG.

I love it. The max res is 1920x1080 2ms 60hz which i believe is 1080p quality. Im gonna connect my ps3 through hdmi//dvi-d. I know the games are gonna look great but does anyone think ill be able to watch blueray in its true form in 1080p will it even display?

I have my new ps3 here but i cant hook it up yet i dont have hdmi//dvi cord yet (ordered a nice affordable one through new egg 15 bucks). Can anyone tell me if ill be able to display in 1080p in the system settings?

PS3 has no internal scaler, 90% of the games will be outputted in 1280x720 which means whatever you plug it into has to handle the video scaling.

Good news though, the dashboard and MGS4 output in 1080p!

Back