PS3 and 1080i ... did they ever fix it?

Z

Zinn

Y0zors, my HDTV only supports 1080i. I remember around the PS3 launch that 1080i support and scaling was broken in the PS3. There were a lot of people howling about it then. And Sony seemed to indicate that it would never be fixed because 1080i isn't "true" HD or some such shlock. I've heard that Sony's firmwares have since improved substantially. So, is this fixed now? If I were to go to Worst Buy and pick up a PS3 tomorrow, would I be able to view it in 1080i or would I have to run 480p?

Thanks for the info.

It's a hardware problem with the scaler, it can't be fixed by firmware. Another royal fuckup by Sony.

does that mean that game has to be native 1080i for it to display 1080i

You are correct, you get a cookie. They are working on this, they can always make an external add on to the PS3 and sell it at a discounted price to ps3 owners. Not too many 1080i screens back in the day, it was usually 720p until 1080p became semi affordable. They could technically pull this off software wise taxing the processor and some of the resources, games could have patches online. It's not so much as a hardware problem since they chose a different approach from the beginning, I don't see many people complaining because the wii doesn't have a scaler to blow up the 480P image to 720I or 720P.

Not too many 1080i screens back in the day, it was usually 720p until 1080p became semi affordable.

Yeah, only every HD CRT based product ever sold was 1080i, but as far as LCD's are concerned, 720p was it until 1080p came along (for home theatre products anyway)

This problem always gets mis-explained. The problem only pops up with 1080i TV's that do not accept (i.e. recognize) a 720p signal, and thats all you have to offer. Just about any HD CRT product from the past 5 years (give or take) shouldn't suffer from that lack of foresight.

None of the newer TV's or any LCD should have this issue, it's relegated to old HDTV's.

OP, what is the brand/model of TV you have? We can find out real fast if it accepts all ranges of signals, which will tell us if you'll have the issue or not.

Y0zors, my HDTV only supports 1080i. I remember around the PS3 launch that 1080i support and scaling was broken in the PS3. There were a lot of people howling about it then. And Sony seemed to indicate that it would never be fixed because 1080i isn't "true" HD or some such shlock. I've heard that Sony's firmwares have since improved substantially. So, is this fixed now? If I were to go to Worst Buy and pick up a PS3 tomorrow, would I be able to view it in 1080i or would I have to run 480p?

Thanks for the info.

Not being able to display in 1080i was never the problem. It was displaying 720p upscaled in 1080i. Which most HD CRTs downscale to 480p. This is still a problem. But if a game is in 1080i/1080p, which there are a bunch so far, it makes no difference, it will be seen in 1080i. Motorstorm and Resistance would be two of the most notable 720p games that unfortunately 1080i tv owners will probably have to see in 480p.

Not being able to display in 1080i was never the problem. It was displaying 720p upscaled in 1080i. Which most HD CRTs downscale to 480p. This is still a problem. But if a game is in 1080i/1080p, which there are a bunch so far, it makes no difference, it will be seen in 1080i. Motorstorm and Resistance would be two of the most notable 720p games that unfortunately 1080i tv owners will probably have to see in 480p.

my hitachi 51f59a has no problems doing 720p :/

does that mean that game has to be native 1080i for it to display 1080i
Despite what others have said in this thread, that isn't entirely true. In January Sony updated the SDK with the ability to use the 'hardware' scaler. It only allowed horizontal scaling and the devs would have to implement it. So the game could be rendered at 960x1080 (a few more pixels than 1280x720) and scaled to 1920x1080. But they could do any variation such as 1280x1080.

Virtua Fighter 5 uses it and scales its native 720p image to 1080i/p. I believe Sonic uses it as well. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo is also one that is suspected to be using the scaler but the devs have said that the final game will be 1080p.

While the solution isn't perfect and Sony farked up by not having a true horizontal/vertical scaler, they have made available a solution for everyone with a 1080i only HDTV. The problem now is that few devs are using it, and those are the ones you should be bitching at now. Of course they could render at 1080p in the first place and satisfy everybody.

You have a CRT RPTV that accepts 720p, and upconverts to 1080i.

It all depends on the model of TV you have whether or not your CRT tube or RPTV will be forcing 720p down to 480p, or internally scaling it to 1080i.

Zinn, you never told us what model of TV you have.

You have a CRT RPTV that accepts 720p, and upconverts to 1080i.

It all depends on the model of TV you have whether or not your CRT tube or RPTV will be forcing 720p down to 480p, or internally scaling it to 1080i.

I really don't think it's that big of an issue anymore, I mean even my now 367$ CRT tv that can only do 480P/1080i upconverts 720P to 1080i.

I really don't think it's that big of an issue anymore, I mean even my now 367$ CRT tv that can only do 480P/1080i upconverts 720P to 1080i.

yeah, I know. It's only older CRT HDTV's and CRT RPTV's. Your new one better do it, because it's been standard for 4-5 years now.

Hitachi 51F59A ftw! I have that same TV and it's awsome. Can't beat the image quality and the price. My Xbox 360 and Comcast Digital Cable with HD looks amazing. :)

I dunno, it's a Panasonic whateverthefuck. I got it at Circuit City on clearance a couple years ago. I know for a fact that it does not upconvert 720p to 1080i because when I hooked my 360 up it flipped out when I set the component cable to 720p. It looks great at 1080i, and at 480p though.

Kind of a shame because I'm torn between buying another 360 or a PS3 now (my old 360 kind of died on me last November)... I'm really interested in PS3 but not if it doesn't support 1080i.

Bah.

I dunno, it's a Panasonic whateverthefuck. I got it at Circuit City on clearance a couple years ago. I know for a fact that it does not upconvert 720p to 1080i because when I hooked my 360 up it flipped out when I set the component cable to 720p. It looks great at 1080i, and at 480p though.

Kind of a shame because I'm torn between buying another 360 or a PS3 now (my old 360 kind of died on me last November)... I'm really interested in PS3 but not if it doesn't support 1080i.

Bah.

IT DOES SUPPORT 1080i! Please go back and read the issue fully.

Yeap it supports 1080i and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they did fix the issue though with movies. At launch HD movies would be either at 1080p/720p/or 480p skipping 1080i all together. Now Movies at least can run at 1080i.

There is just no upscaling yet.

I dunno, it's a Panasonic whateverthefuck. :rolleyes:

Bah.

It sounds to me like you either aren't bothering to read the advice on this thread, or you don't really understand the issue, nor want to. I've tried to hand feed you to the best of my ability, if you can't be bothered to provide the info required to answer your questions, then why bother asking?

Check your manual, if you TV accepts a 720p signal, you can buy a PS3 and do anything on it with no issue.

Can't boil it down any further.

TV does not accept a 720p signal. I appreciate your advice and sorry to have annoyed you. I'll probably end up getting a PS3 anyway and hoping games support 1080i. As long as I can watch Blu Rays at 1080i, I'll be peachy :)

Back