PS3 $100 Price Drop Finally Here?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another analyst is saying that the often rumored $100 price drop on the PlayStation 3 is finally here. I’m not sure why this announcement is being treated any different than the two dozen other price drop predictions over the last year but who knows, eventually it will happen.

"Recent channel checks indicate increased speculation for a PS3 price cut announcement from Sony," said Hickey, adding that he believes the cut needs to be $100 to catalyze PS3 sales at retail and that the market's expecting a cut "in April or by June at the latest."

it is a little late for this one... the only way sony will make gains with the ps3 is to split the market and bring games to market that appeal to wii gamers as well as 360 gamers... PlayStation home that online disaster needs to be dropped and replace with a simple but effective user interface we do not need second life for a console

Hmm. Sony's up to something. I predict they'll bring back the 20 or 40gb version and make that the $100 cheaper model.

If they allowed full mice and keyboard support on the ps3, that would help.

from article said:
Hickey mentions "talk" of a PS3 without Blu-ray. While that's intriguing, given the number of instantly incompatible Blu-ray game titles, I'd call it noise.

Now that's a good way to get your own foot shot if they ever went ahead with this plan.

If it happens I will even more strongly consider getting one.... Right now it's just an itch more than a "gotta have one" idea. And the only reason I'd be purchasing it would be for use as a blu-ray player...... Although it looks like standalone units are getting cheaper.

I think a price drop is needed greatly. The PS3 is great 'hardware', but really nothing to play. I turned on my PS3 last night for the first time since December (and that was only to check out Home, which I didn't care for), but I play my 360 all the time. I've been searching for a PS3 game that will draw me into using my PS3 more. For the most part, it's been a $400 paperweight.

I think a price drop is needed greatly. The PS3 is great 'hardware', but really nothing to play. I turned on my PS3 last night for the first time since December (and that was only to check out Home, which I didn't care for), but I play my 360 all the time. I've been searching for a PS3 game that will draw me into using my PS3 more. For the most part, it's been a $400 paperweight.

But I can buy a paperweight for $4. Why would one at $300 interest me?

Still not enough of a drop. All I want is a GAMING system, not some overstuffed gaming/HTPC/computer/wannabe-everything. Their continued refusal to drop price is why I jumped on the XBox 360 recently since MS recognizes the significance of price drops. The part where Square Enix spat at Sony's face by making SO4 360 exclusive and making FF13 non-exclusive sealed the deal.

I used to fucking hate XBox - PS fanboy by a long shot - swearing I'd smack a person if they gave me an XBox as a sign of insult. Now, I'm definitely not feeling Sony. Stubborn company it's become.

Still not enough of a drop. All I want is a GAMING system, not some overstuffed gaming/HTPC/computer/wannabe-everything. Their continued refusal to drop price is why I jumped on the XBox 360 recently since MS recognizes the significance of price drops. The part where Square Enix spat at Sony's face by making SO4 360 exclusive and making FF13 non-exclusive sealed the deal.

I used to fucking hate XBox - PS fanboy by a long shot - swearing I'd smack a person if they gave me an XBox as a sign of insult. Now, I'm definitely not feeling Sony. Stubborn company it's become.

SE has nothing to do with where SO4 goes and doesn't go. tri-Ace owns and all rights to the series and they make all the choices. tri-Ace being such a small studio could never hope to make a multiplatform game so its really up in the air what they decide to do right now. Be interesting to see how well it sells. SO is on the middle-tier of JRPGs sales wise with the last two games breaking a million world-wide.

I have no issues using a mouse and keyboard with my PS3. They don't work in all games but they do in UT3.
If you don't want it, then you don't want it. What is your point? A lower price will allow more people to afford it. Therefore, they'll likely sell more units... As far as the games, TBD.

If you don't want it, then you don't want it. What is your point? A lower price will allow more people to afford it. Therefore, they'll likely sell more units... As far as the games, TBD.

What are you talking about? He just made a statement, that he doesn't has the option to use his keyboard and mouse when a game allows it...

Originally Posted by from article
Hickey mentions "talk" of a PS3 without Blu-ray. While that's intriguing, given the number of instantly incompatible Blu-ray game titles, I'd call it noise.
Now that's a good way to get your own foot shot if they ever went ahead with this plan.

The whole thing is such a mess. It's almost incomprehensible why they would use bluray disks for every single game. Why not bluray for the couple games that actually used that much space, and dual layer for everything else? Then the switch would have been simple, just re-issue some multi disk DL's with a "core compatible" logo for the games that had been released on bluray. I don't really see any practical way of them going about it now. Offer some kind of trade in option if you already own a game on bluray and wanted it for a dual layer console?

The only reason to buy a PS3 months ago was for "cheap" Blu-ray.

Now that players are getting down into a more reasonable range that sale point for PS3 isn't there any longer.

The only reason to buy a PS3 months ago was for "cheap" Blu-ray.

Now that players are getting down into a more reasonable range that sale point for PS3 isn't there any longer.

right. They have essentially stripped away the reasons for owning a ps3.

Blu-ray players are dropping pretty fast.

ps2 backwards compatibility has been left behind, first hardware went, then software is not really being updated. I know MANY people with large back catalogs who used the ps3 to upscale ps2 on their hdtv's. I purchased a 60gb ps3 for this specific reason.

last...The games still aren't there. mgs4 is like all the mgs, good but short. and other "killer apps" just aren't killer enough. Killzone is supposed to be good, but for pc gamers just about all console fps = a big yawn. And really its riding a first game that got hit pretty hard by most reviews.

I recently picked up little big planet, it's not bad, but it doesn't feel deep enough. Certainly not something to push systems.

About the only game i actually play is disgaea 3, which is certainly a niche title, and which could have easily been done on the 360...or even the ps2.

simply put, what does the ps3 have? Until they can answer that, all the little features prove pointless when trying to sell an expensive piece of hardware.

Nothign is going to save this machine outside of

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 exclusive
and
Bringing back Backwards compatibility

I don't see none of that happening.
The easiest to pull off is backwards compatibility but its like they still haven't got in their heads that its a selling point still for the thing. It doesn't even need to be hardware based, just the software emulation but dedicate a team of employees to keep working on it and update it and make it better.

Giving Linux access to the full system hardware would help too.

should of done a ms move (they dumped the black box)... dump all ps2 support accross the board and shut down ps2 production.

allow ps3 games to be DL and visa versa (but not compatible with ps2)....

and drop the price to sell millions of them...

encourage game developers to develop games for the ps3

Lastely enable a download to play existing ps2 games but stop production on them..

Easy

right. They have essentially stripped away the reasons for owning a ps3.

Blu-ray players are dropping pretty fast.

ps2 backwards compatibility has been left behind, first hardware went, then software is not really being updated. I know MANY people with large back catalogs who used the ps3 to upscale ps2 on their hdtv's. I purchased a 60gb ps3 for this specific reason.

last...The games still aren't there. mgs4 is like all the mgs, good but short. and other "killer apps" just aren't killer enough. Killzone is supposed to be good, but for pc gamers just about all console fps = a big yawn. And really its riding a first game that got hit pretty hard by most reviews.

I recently picked up little big planet, it's not bad, but it doesn't feel deep enough. Certainly not something to push systems.

About the only game i actually play is disgaea 3, which is certainly a niche title, and which could have easily been done on the 360...or even the ps2.

simply put, what does the ps3 have? Until they can answer that, all the little features prove pointless when trying to sell an expensive piece of hardware.

Couple things to jump on:

MGS4 being like the other MGS games is kind of a stupid thing to say as a negative. If you're not a fan, thats fine, but its a game made for the fans.

They never had software BC. The 60gig model had both the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer in it. The EE was removed for the first 80gig. The GS was removed after that. In Europe the PS3's with BC only had the GS. With only the GS being in the PS3's they had partial software emulation. BC was removed to save money. If it was software only at the end that would have made zero sense because it wouldn't cost them money to add it. Anyway, BC was never a huge selling feature. You may know some people that enjoy it, but the lack of any kind of outrage at its removal proves that the mass market simply doesn't care.

The KZ2 demo is interesting. As someone who has been playing PC FPS since Wolfenstien 3D I do have issues with console FPS, but I really liked the KZ2 demo and want to play the game. The way they handle aiming works really well with the limitations of a controller and the AI seems like it could be intelligent on harder difficulties. Graphics are alright, but they're never really my primary concern with console games.

As for other games, it all depends on taste. There are a number of games on the PS3 and coming in the next couple years that make it well worth me owning.

if it drops enough to be comparable to a blu ray player I might buy one, but otherwise have no use for it

first off, im not an enthusiast so i cant really comment on much (esp FPS), but i use my ps3 on almost a daily basis. i use it to play ps3 games, ps2 games, and my favorite DL'd tv shows that they havent made in to dvd. i actually use the ps3 for what it was designed to be (well, minus picture browsing, but i dont really look at a whole lot of pictures anyways). i should preface this by saying ive never owned an Xbox, but the ps3 serves me just fine. i even have it on my home network and can stream media to it from my pc. ive seen a lot of blue ray players that are relatively cheap, but upon reading reviews about them, ive found that they are very buggy. ive never had a problem playing BDs on my ps3. id rather pay more for something that works well. in all honesty, the ps3 really has replaced all of my home entertainment devices. when im doing chores around the house im playing music on it, friends come over and watch movies or play video games, i can upload any sort of avi or video file onto it and play it. simply put. i like it, and to not have to buy any other piece of hardware or worrying about a somewhat complex home theatre wiring arrangment is nice. the only thing i wish it did support (and im not sure if its just my specific HDD or not) is drivers for external HDDs. well, i guess thats about it for me

Couple things to jump on:

MGS4 being like the other MGS games is kind of a stupid thing to say as a negative. If you're not a fan, thats fine, but its a game made for the fans.

They never had software BC. The 60gig model had both the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer in it. The EE was removed for the first 80gig. The GS was removed after that. In Europe the PS3's with BC only had the GS. With only the GS being in the PS3's they had partial software emulation. BC was removed to save money. If it was software only at the end that would have made zero sense because it wouldn't cost them money to add it. Anyway, BC was never a huge selling feature. You may know some people that enjoy it, but the lack of any kind of outrage at its removal proves that the mass market simply doesn't care.

The KZ2 demo is interesting. As someone who has been playing PC FPS since Wolfenstien 3D I do have issues with console FPS, but I really liked the KZ2 demo and want to play the game. The way they handle aiming works really well with the limitations of a controller and the AI seems like it could be intelligent on harder difficulties. Graphics are alright, but they're never really my primary concern with console games.

As for other games, it all depends on taste. There are a number of games on the PS3 and coming in the next couple years that make it well worth me owning.

i wasn't knocking mgs as a series, you missed that i said it was GOOD. the games are very enjoyable, but very short for the price paid. 60 dollars for 8-9 hours of gameplay is not a very good ratio. I rented the game and enjoyed it quite a bit, however the fact is it's still short.

the BC issue has had resistance. You are right though its not as mainstream an issue as it should be. Primarily the people with issues are those who play jrpgs and strategy games, some of which are still being released on the ps2. For example, and yes its my opinion, that was pretty much the only thing i used consoles for, so its a HUGE deal for me. Trust me i was just as unhappy when i found xbox 360 BC to be spotty at best.

i appreciate your feedback, but I still stand by my points. As a gamer personally i see no reason for owning a ps3 other than backwards compatibility, and disgaea 3, I see no exclusives down the road that justify owning the system. The reason an opinion like mine is important is that rpg gamers were a large chunk of sony buyers in the ps1/ps2 era. It's also big in Japan, which is their home market. Alienating a buying market is bad news if they want to push systems.

i wasn't knocking mgs as a series, you missed that i said it was GOOD. the games are very enjoyable, but very short for the price paid. 60 dollars for 8-9 hours of gameplay is not a very good ratio. I rented the game and enjoyed it quite a bit, however the fact is it's still short.

the BC issue has had resistance. You are right though its not as mainstream an issue as it should be. Primarily the people with issues are those who play jrpgs and strategy games, some of which are still being released on the ps2. For example, and yes its my opinion, that was pretty much the only thing i used consoles for, so its a HUGE deal for me. Trust me i was just as unhappy when i found xbox 360 BC to be spotty at best.

i appreciate your feedback, but I still stand by my points. As a gamer personally i see no reason for owning a ps3 other than backwards compatibility, and disgaea 3, I see no exclusives down the road that justify owning the system. The reason an opinion like mine is important is that rpg gamers were a large chunk of sony buyers in the ps1/ps2 era. It's also big in Japan, which is their home market. Alienating a buying market is bad news if they want to push systems.

It has online which is supposed to be semi-popular. I rented it as well so I didn't bother. Though the MGS series is what it is. It would be worth playing again, if not for all the bloody installs. That reminds me I need to delete the MGS4 install.

I agree that it should be a much bigger issue. I'd love to be a BC-able PS3, but it wasn't worth it to spend $400+ on one when I could get the new model 80 for $300 locally.

VC is supposed to be really good. Folklore is interesting. D3, as you already mentioned. X-Edge from NIS. Atlus will probably make a Persona, Devil Summoner, or SMT game on the PS3 at some point. N1 doesn't seem interesting in any other platform for development at the moment. They're doing a port on the Wii, but thats not really worth mentioning.

I probably won't buy many PS3 games and instead using Gamefly. I have 8 PS3 games on my Gamefly list and with two of them being SRPGs its not like those will go quick and I'll eventually add some "lesser" titles as well simply to check them out.

RPGs being huge in Japan is a bit of a misnomer. FF and DQ are huge in Japan. SO and Tales have their fanbases, but they're not overly big. Thats about it. The big stuff in Japan now is the non-game DS titles or anything at all portable.

Sony does need to drop the price of the console. I wouldn't buy a PS3 at $400. Way too much. I won't even spend that much on a single piece of hardware in my computer, much less a damn console. $300 for a used 80 was perfect though.

It has online which is supposed to be semi-popular. I rented it as well so I didn't bother. Though the MGS series is what it is. It would be worth playing again, if not for all the bloody installs. That reminds me I need to delete the MGS4 install.

I agree that it should be a much bigger issue. I'd love to be a BC-able PS3, but it wasn't worth it to spend $400+ on one when I could get the new model 80 for $300 locally.

VC is supposed to be really good. Folklore is interesting. D3, as you already mentioned. X-Edge from NIS. Atlus will probably make a Persona, Devil Summoner, or SMT game on the PS3 at some point. N1 doesn't seem interesting in any other platform for development at the moment. They're doing a port on the Wii, but thats not really worth mentioning.

I probably won't buy many PS3 games and instead using Gamefly. I have 8 PS3 games on my Gamefly list and with two of them being SRPGs its not like those will go quick and I'll eventually add some "lesser" titles as well simply to check them out.

RPGs being huge in Japan is a bit of a misnomer. FF and DQ are huge in Japan. SO and Tales have their fanbases, but they're not overly big. Thats about it. The big stuff in Japan now is the non-game DS titles or anything at all portable.

Sony does need to drop the price of the console. I wouldn't buy a PS3 at $400. Way too much. I won't even spend that much on a single piece of hardware in my computer, much less a damn console. $300 for a used 80 was perfect though.

I lived in Japan for a bit, but it was before the ds really exploded so my information may be outdated.

i'm in the same boat as you though, most of my ps3 games come off gamefly, i couldn't stand folklore though, i loved the concept but it was too repetitive and felt like god of war (i was probably one of five people who detested that game).

but yeah just wanted to clarify before, i think we are more on the same page ;)

I lived in Japan for a bit, but it was before the ds really exploded so my information may be outdated.

i'm in the same boat as you though, most of my ps3 games come off gamefly, i couldn't stand folklore though, i loved the concept but it was too repetitive and felt like god of war (i was probably one of five people who detested that game).

but yeah just wanted to clarify before, i think we are more on the same page ;)

Yeah I've been watching the Japanese sales reports for a few years now and the DS has just exploded over there. DS games as well. It is understandable though.

$60 is too much for most games I feel. Even $50 is at times. I bought Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection due to its price and saw Haze for $20 so figured it was worth that much. Haven't actually played it yet so I'm not sure I wasted money on it or not.

Back