PS3 - 1.80 coming tomorrow

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
Don't know if this has already been posted, but it seems official this time ...

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4372&NewsAreaID=2

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Cool, but nothing that makes me all giddy...still wish that 2.0 list was coming out...

I find it somewhat funny how just a few days ago there were people in this forum talking about how the PS3 could never get an update to do upscaling... and that Sony totally "fucked up again" and would have to release some external hardware.... LOL

Yeah ... we might see more features from the 2.0 list than have been revealed so far though ... they're only gonna focus on the major updates in the firmware preview.

Personally I'm pretty excited about the PS2 upscaling ... this is something I've wanted from the start since there are a ton of PS2 games I still want to play, and now maybe I can truely enjoy them on my 42" sammy. :)

Yeah ... we might see more features from the 2.0 list than have been revealed so far though ... they're only gonna focus on the major updates in the firmware preview.

Personally I'm pretty excited about the PS2 upscaling ... this is something I've wanted from the start since there are a ton of PS2 games I still want to play, and now maybe I can truely enjoy them on my 42" sammy. :)

Word. I am probably 65% done with GoW and picked up GoW II the other day... I'm glad I didnt rush to finish them.. :D I was playing them on my PS2 slim on the old SDTV because it actually looked better than on my 46'' sharp... Can't wait to try them out in HD :D

Can't wait to fire up MGS3, GOW2, and most of all SotC (which had the biggest IQ problems IMO; but still a great game).

looks like i should have waited before buying the dvp5982.. oh well, will be interesting to see some image quality comparisons after the update hits.

Nice remote play across the net. I've been waiting for this. Good thing I didn't get a location free. (I don't need tv just videos)

I just have one question, on the end notes it says only hdmi equipped tv's, mine only does 1080i and is hooked through a hdmi to dvi cable

Will it up convert to 1080i, 720p or I'm sucking????:confused: :confused:

Guess I will wait till tomorrow, if not I guess the new tv will be comming sooner than I wanted...

I find it somewhat funny how just a few days ago there were people in this forum talking about how the PS3 could never get an update to do upscaling... and that Sony totally "fucked up again" and would have to release some external hardware.... LOL

Well like I said, take their word with a grain of salt. Can't judge, review or give insight on a system they do not own. Reading forums and fansites doesn't exactly cut it

Well like I said, take their word with a grain of salt. Can't judge, review or give insight on a system they do not own. Reading forums and fansites doesn't exactly cut it

so we can finally play music off of our pc? no need for a "ps3 client" or anything? if so that's pretty cool shit

Why would you want to stream mp3's when you can store them on the actual PS3 hard drive?

I am not sure about him but I have over 300 gigs of MP3s on another computewr so this is nice and easy

I have a question and it's likely a noobist one...

is there any pictures of ps1/ps2 games played on the ps3 with this supposade "upscaling"... dose this mean it's higher resolution and will be scaled back down when going component (so even THAT looks much better)? also, is framerate higher?

Anti-aliasing would be cool indeed... does anyone think other graphic improvements might get introduced slowly, like motion blur, draw distance, etc...?

I just have one question, on the end notes it says only hdmi equipped tv's, mine only does 1080i and is hooked through a hdmi to dvi cable

Will it up convert to 1080i, 720p or I'm sucking????:confused: :confused:

Guess I will wait till tomorrow, if not I guess the new tv will be comming sooner than I wanted...

It will do upscaling of games via component or HDMI, up to 1080p, but with DVD movies, due to the MPAA and HDCP, they are restricted to upscaling only via HDMI. Its not Sony, or the PS3, its the MPAA and the law, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Anti-aliasing would be cool indeed... does anyone think other graphic improvements might get introduced slowly, like motion blur, draw distance, etc...?

One day possibly Anti-Aliasing, but all those other improvments you are asking for would require the game to be programmed with that.

It will do upscaling of games via component or HDMI, up to 1080p, but with DVD movies, due to the MPAA and HDCP, they are restricted to upscaling only via HDMI. Its not Sony, or the PS3, its the MPAA and the law, and there is nothing they can do about it.

I have no problems doing HDMI :D ;)

Why would you want to stream mp3's when you can store them on the actual PS3 hard drive?

Well for one, you won't have duplicate files on the computer and the PS3. Another big deal here is that its a tiny bit easier to transfer MP3s to the PS3 now. No need to burn them on a CD or put them on a flash drive. The big plus is that my PS3 has access to my +100 GBs of MP3s on my comp. Try storing that on a 60GB or even 20GB PS3.

Thanks...downloading now! Will check the dvd upscaling as soon as it is done. I would check the PS2 upscaling, but I dont have a PS2 game...lol

sweet, its installing now... so it only upscales through hdmi?:confused: :( well how about hdmi -> dvi?

forgot to add... I gotta try out the psp function :D

just tried it, games do look better but not drastically. DVD's on the other hand a WORLD of difference Gladiator appeared almost blu-ray quality in 1080p, simply fantastic.

Back