PS3 1.5 Firmware Fixes BC

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at Engadget let us know that the latest PS3 firmware update (1.5) apparently fixes those horrible jaggies when playing PS2 games. There is no mention of the fix in the firmware update or acknowledgement that the problem ever existed but it is fixed and that’s what counts.

After 219 pages of postings to what has become the go-to forum thread in regards to Sony's PS3 jaggies fiasco -- a problem that was hitting certain PS1 and PS2 games with a pixel-flipping ugly stick -- it looks like Sony finally heard the cry of its users and has released a fix to the problem inside the firmware 1.5 update.

Makes you wonder how they missed it before production. Maybe they didn't even bother testing older games.

at least we know they are listening and supporting....and this happened relatively fast too

Well yeah. They can't get anymore people to buy one, so they might as well try to please the ones who did :D

I have a pal that got a PS3, his looked HORRIBLE, because even on his HD tv, it would not display anything other than 480p, so I took it to my house and got him the 1.3 update to fix that issue, so at least Fall of Man looked nice, although I still think Gears of War on the 360 owns it as far as graphics goes. He has terible jaggies now on his older titles, so it looks like I ahve to haul it back to my house to update his PS3 again.

I am picking up a 360 tonight or tomorrow......

Makes you wonder how they missed it before production. Maybe they didn't even bother testing older games.

yea they didnt test em because they thought "everyone will buy games to play em in "hd", they wont play old games"

sure sony...sure....

Sucks how new things rarely transcend the old. I'm doubting that many people will be as nostalgic about the new consoles as they are for the NES, SEGA, SNES, PSX, etc.

Reminds me of AOL, and how each new version is exponentially worse than the previous.

So do they look just like PS2 games or is there any improvement ala Xbox 360 and Xbox games?

Well, they DID test em' to make sure they worked....BUT....they figured people would just be "happy it works". Considering their competitors were making sure that all the BC games they had were upsampled in quality it wasn't smart to ship it like that...

....but it's fixed now, as long as a future update doesn't break it, all is well in PS3 BC land.

So do they look just like PS2 games or is there any improvement ala Xbox 360 and Xbox games?

I read there is (currently) no upscaling of PS1/PS2 games. If they fixed the jaggies issue via an update, chances are they might be able to allow upscaling of PS1/PS2 via an update.

So do we need to start a counter for positive Sony news?

Great to hear that they fix this, it was funny to see how much better PS2 games looked on the old hardware, now it sounds like they are equal and owners can put their PS2 away for good.

I just installed the update to my PS3 and put in Killzone and it did get rid of the very nasty jaggies on that game so I am happy I do not have to use my PS2 anymore. :D :cool:

They look just like the PS2 which is good enough for me, I did not expect any better quality but it would be nice if they improved it a bit.

Back