StreamliningComputer
n00b
- Joined
- May 10, 2010
- Messages
- 1
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what's going on with one of those PS2 Keyboard and Mouse to single USB adapter cables.
I've used said adapter successfully on every computer until today (and every computer I've dealt with until today has had native PS2 ports on the Mobo - including an MPC 375). Today I acquired an MPC 385, and a Lenovo S10 Netbook. These two machines were the first computers that I've acquired without any native PS2 ports on their Mobo's (pure USB). The interesting thing is that these were also the first machines to not be able to use the PS2 to USB adapter.
On the MPC 385 machine, Windows (XP, SP3) will recognize the devices, but the machine does not respond after windows tells me "Your new hardware is ready to use."
There does appear to be power to the devices, but no response from their use.
Plugging in a set of native usb keyboard and mouse to either machine works just fine.
I did some research by contacting the manufacturer, and discovered that it is a passive adapter (here's a link for it):
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=1424
The manufacturer for the device claims that it's successfully been used on many newer mobos without any native PS2 ports.
...if anyone has any idea on how to solve one of the greatest irritations I've had in the past several months, I'd be thrilled. I want to use this tower with a PS2 KVM setup, and it's diffuculty with the adapter is really starting to upset me.
Thank you in advance to everyone who offers a plausible solution.
I've used said adapter successfully on every computer until today (and every computer I've dealt with until today has had native PS2 ports on the Mobo - including an MPC 375). Today I acquired an MPC 385, and a Lenovo S10 Netbook. These two machines were the first computers that I've acquired without any native PS2 ports on their Mobo's (pure USB). The interesting thing is that these were also the first machines to not be able to use the PS2 to USB adapter.
On the MPC 385 machine, Windows (XP, SP3) will recognize the devices, but the machine does not respond after windows tells me "Your new hardware is ready to use."
There does appear to be power to the devices, but no response from their use.
Plugging in a set of native usb keyboard and mouse to either machine works just fine.
I did some research by contacting the manufacturer, and discovered that it is a passive adapter (here's a link for it):
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=1424
The manufacturer for the device claims that it's successfully been used on many newer mobos without any native PS2 ports.
...if anyone has any idea on how to solve one of the greatest irritations I've had in the past several months, I'd be thrilled. I want to use this tower with a PS2 KVM setup, and it's diffuculty with the adapter is really starting to upset me.
Thank you in advance to everyone who offers a plausible solution.