PS2 Component vs. Composite

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,803
I'm so damn sick of my PS2 looking fuzzy on my 720P HDTV. For some reason, my PS2 looked better on my old regular TV. If I buy the component cable for my PS2, will my games look better, heck, I'll even take marginally better.

I know early models only supported 480i and later models supoort 480p. I'm not sure which one I have, though I do have the Gran Turismo 3 Package system. I know some games support progressive scan, I know my TV supprts it too. But when I choose progressive scan in the games menu, it blanks out and doesn't take. I want to believe this is due to me still using the original composite cable it came with.

Does anyone have any experience with this. Tell me buying a component cable will work.



 
Component cables will make everything sharper. However it will make the lack of antialias more evident. (You'll notice jaggies more)
 
Yeah you need component to do progressive. Composite cant do progressive. It will probably make the picture a little better but not much.

The fuzziness is most likely related to the picture being stretched since native resolution of that TV is 720p. Dont quote me on this, but its most likely the reason.
 
The fuzziness is most likely related to the picture being stretched since native resolution of that TV is 720p. Dont quote me on this, but its most likely the reason.

Sorry ;)

Fuzziness comes from the composite cable mainly. If he does go to component, the vast majority of that fuzziness will be gone. As said before, component makes the jaggies much more apparent, but textures will look better and stuff.

Going to component is definitely worth it. Using composite is like smearing vaseline all over your TV set. You will hate it once you see what component does. Even if you can't get 480p, there is still a big big improvement with component.

To my knowledge, all PS2s support 480p for games. However, only the later models (including all the slimline ones) did 480p for DVDs. You need component cables first, though.
 
Sorry ;)
To my knowledge, all PS2s support 480p for games. However, only the later models (including all the slimline ones) did 480p for DVDs. You need component cables first, though.
Exactly correct. I'll add that some of the last PS2 fatties did have progressive scan support for DVD - I own one, in fact. Component is your friend, jaggies or not.
 
OK, I just came from Gamestop with PS2 component cables. I put in the God of War 2 demo and just realized how much I've been missing. How come noone f*cking told me this before :mad: It is ALOT clearer though I notice the aliasing a bit more. Now I almost feell like playing through a couple of old games....



 
Component = pwning colors, but FF12's aliasing really, really comes out and kicks you in the nuts.

Check that one list...I think HD Games (hdgames.net), and you can sort games by platform and type (so sort by PS2, then 480p, 16:9, etc). Some games require holding Triangle + X sometimes.
 
The first game I got the my PS2 was GT4, I was running composite on a 62" DLP. It looked like total crap, then I got component cables and it looked great, then I ran GT4 in 1080i and it looks even better.
 
The first game I got the my PS2 was GT4, I was running composite on a 62" DLP. It looked like total crap, then I got component cables and it looked great, then I ran GT4 in 1080i and it looks even better.

Note that GT4 doesn't actually run in 1080i. It's software emulation, since the PS2 can't actually go to 1080i. It still looks great, but, I know it's not true 1080i, since the maximum the PS2 itself can output is 480p.
 
Note that GT4 doesn't actually run in 1080i. It's software emulation, since the PS2 can't actually go to 1080i. It still looks great, but, I know it's not true 1080i, since the maximum the PS2 itself can output is 480p.

What are you talking about? The PS2 can indeed output 1080i. You can't "software emulate" a resolution, either...
 
Component = pwning colors, but FF12's aliasing really, really comes out and kicks you in the nuts.

Bingo bango right on the head.

I've noticed that mainly newer games seem more aliased, while some older ones aren't too bad at all.
 
The PS2 isn't limited to 480p the hardware fully supports higher resolutions. However since the system has a very limited ammount of video memory getting a game working at those resolutions can be near impossible. With GT4 the output is indeed 1080i but the signal isn't a full 1920 pixels across, this is where the "its not true 1080i" usually comes from.
 
Back
Top