PS2 and DTS Sound

Bubbers214

Limp Gawd
I've actually got a couple of questions. My first question is.. I have a Klipsch Promedia DD5.1 Reciever hooked up to my PS2 and whenever I play Dolby Digital Movies, it says Dolby Digital on the screen of the reciever. But when I switch to DTS, the reciever still says Dolby Digital. My first question is, does anyone know if the PS2 does DTS decoding and secondly, if the Promedia DD5.1 reciever always shows dolby digital even if its getting a dts signal.

i'm almost 100% sure that the ps2 only does dolby digital 5.1

Originally posted by s8n
i'm almost 100% sure that the ps2 only does dolby digital 5.1
my machine has an etched logo of DTS on the top, what is that about?

Hmm. Dunno if there's not an answer by tomorrow I'll hook up an optical cable to the PS2 and see if it'll do DTS decoding.

figured out my own problem.. the PS2 defaults DTS to the off position. If you go into the sound menu while playing a DVD you can turn it on, and i did so. So the PS2 does in fact do DTS.

DTS does not take anything special to work. All the PS/2 is doing is sending the encoded audio signal to the Klipsch DD 5.1 receiver box. This signal can be in Dolby Digital 5.1 or in DTS, doesn't really matter to the PS/2. Every DVD player I have seen in the last few years does the same thing. The real trick is getting a receiver that will decode the DTS signal, that is what often costs extra.

Back