PS for 10+ HDDs both ATA/SATA

dandirk

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a tower with 8 IDE and 1 SATA drives in it. It is running on a fairly cheap 400w PSU.

I will be adding 3 or 4 for HDDs probably both SATA and IDE..

The problem that I currently running into is system stability, it started with the addition of the last HDD I think. This makes sense to me, cheap PSU etc...]

My questions is this... What PSU have a ton of power connectors? I currently have splitters on all the current 4 pins, not to mention the stability problems, so I think a new purchase is in order.

I assume I should also get a dual 12v PSU with about 500w for a file server like this (10-15 drives, couple of sata/IDE raid cards)

Thank for all the help, Newegg doesn't list number of 4 pins :confused:

wow, how many total GBs is this beast?

would it be cheaper to just upgrade the drives to larger drives? (remember i dont know how big the drives are, if they are already 200gb or something then upgrading would not be good, but if it is a bunch of 20-80gb drives you had around or something then it might be better to just upgrade to 2 200gb drives or something like that)

definetly look into pc power and cooling. there are some good links in the stickies at the top of this subforum

Yeah they are all 250gb a 80gb, 20gb for seperated data and OS/apps.

I will be putting in some 300 or 400gb.

Long story short but I have 750gb of corrupted data and need to buy 500gb more to recover. After all said and done I will have space for another year of data (I keep all of my DVDs and music on HDD)

I'll look into the link

Thanks

BTW ~1.5 TB of storage 5 250 IDE, 1 250gb SATA, 1 80gb IDE, 1 20gb IDE...+ one cd-rom.

hmmm they have a 425 for $150 with 8 4 pins.... not dual 12 volt so not sure if this could handle all the hdds spinning up at boot...

its not so much the number of molex
as the number of connectors on a given strand
I try to keep it to 3>4 drives per strand in my NAS

10 HDDs is going to workout to 20A for a spinup draw
(which will then fall to about a quarter of that)

you using a controller that has a delayed spinup option?
that might allow you to get away with less
but off hand Id say you need a PCP&C 510 or some other +12V monster

mine has had no problems running that many drives in the workstation
but I use an older Zippy Emacs MR3-6450P N+1 in my NAS,
it replaced dual synchd 400 Watts I was using before that
(hardwired like the CoolerMaster Stacker does now-a-days)

you need to workup your numbers for the rest of the system,
and if your going to add even more drives (15),
its going to get expensive, like $300 > $800 expensive
or you'll need to go ghetto

wow that ghetto style looks awesome, anyone try this and lived to tell about it?

well anyone running a Coolermaster stacker
and obviously me, had one PSU for the mobo ect and another for the drives

back then my NAS looked like this
dualPSU.jpg

12HDDs + an optical

Back