PS Camera for Overseas Travel

Benzino

[H]ard|Gawd
I am traveling to Europe this summer from the US. For the past few years I've never needed anything outside of my smartphone/tablet to take pictures. I'm leaving my phone home for the trip for obvious reasons. I could bring my Samsung tablet, but there's the issue of charging it in 220v land.
I'm looking for an inexpensive point and shoot camera that takes standard batteries I could purchase anywhere. I'd rather not spend over $200 absolute max.
What would you folks recommend?

Size? Super compact, p&s, bridge?
Any photographic experience? Full control of exposure triangle, need/want raw files?
Zoom length? Do you care or would a prime be fine?

If you don't really care about most of this stuff, frankly spending less on a charger for your tablet might be a better option.

Last edited:
Nearly guaranteed your charger will work worldwide. Just look at the label and it should say 100-240V input.

I must be missing the obvious reason you'd leave your main form of communications at home.

But like Blue Fox said, almost all chargers are fine on the voltage and hz side, just get a plug adaptor and you're all set. I usually take a small power strip and use that with the adaptor and then just plug all my US plugged devices into the power strip.

When I went to Europe, I bought a proper plug adapter. Thing was around $3. No electronics in the thing just adapts the prongs. The different countries use different plugs so make sure to get the right one(s).

I brought my GS4 to Europe also. I'm on the Tmobile network so the calls were cheap and I had free data. Was nice to connect to WIFI occasionally when the cell connection was spotty. Used the phone and a USB on the go cable to download photos from my DSLR. Also took some nice panos with the GS4.

Pretty much all the current camera battery chargers work on 100-240V as noted by previous commenters. Just need the prong adapter like I mentioned above.

Canon P&S are normally very decent. The SX160 takes AAs. Thing is it is an old model. Doesn't appear that Canon has any cameras in the last 2 years that take AAs. Here is a not complete list from dpreview of AA cameras.

Otherwise get a new P&S and get a 2nd or 3rd battery. I always liked to recommend the old PowerShot Elph 110 HS camera because it had good image quality and a fast lens F/2.0. The new models 120 and 130 are inferior. They rereleased the Elph 110 as the Powershot S110, but the price is out of your budget at $240.

Need to let us know what size camera, then you'll get more recommendations.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the input. I didn't know that phone chargers worked up to 240v. Sounds like an adapter is in order.
I guess I don't know how Verizon would handle roaming charges, so leaving the phone at home seemed like the safe idea. Although now thinking about it I can put the phone in airplane mode while over there to avoid extra charges.
As for camera recommendations, since I'm backpacking small is key. I dabbled in P&S and DSLR photography years ago but didn't invest much time in it.

Canon S120 and PowerShot G7 X, are best in class, but aren't cheap. There wasn't a budget listed.

Both have full manual controls. Make RAWs and have a host of other excellent features. S120 is "only" 12MP, G7 X has 20.2. Either is more that enough MP wise and in good hands capable of creating great imagery.

Back