Proxy Problem in Australia

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm an American study abroad student in Australia, and the way they manage their internet is very strange. Everytime you open firefox or IE, you get a login box, as you login through the schools proxy. Once you leave the domain of the school (same as the proxy), it keeps track of the traffic you use, and they charge you 1.2cents per MB rather than just having a fee included in room & board to cover internet use.

Now before you jump to conclusions, I'm not asking how to get around this proxy, or cheat the system, or not pay etc. The problem is the IT dept is very lacking here, and they haven't given explanations to any of the study abroad students regarding how to connect etc.

Once registering my MAC address I got connectivity, but still only got "connecting to:" messages for webpages. After remembering how the system worked I set up my browser to browse through their proxy, and then everything worked fine. (there has to be an easier way I'd assume, as most people wouldn't even understand how to do this step, and would be a huge and constant headache for the IT dept as far as repeated explainations)

However, I have a few problems:

1) Every time I close FF and open it again, I have to login again, there should be a way around this but I only know so much. At the same time, I guess it's a semi-good thing, since if I'm not connected the random packets being sent back and forth aren't being added to my traffic used?

2) That only solved FF/IE. If I want to play any multiplayer games or go on AIM it doesn't work. It seems that each program needs to be told to be routed through the proxy. This seems entirely inefficient to me, and for some reason I can't get AIM to tunnel through correctly.

To solve these problems, I'm looking for a program that tunnels all of my internet traffic through a specified proxy (theirs), so I don't have to manually input the path to each program and reenter my login creds. every time I open a new webpage, etc. I know these are around, in fact I had a program that did this exact thing a few months ago but I got rid of it when I had no need for it any longer, and now the name evades me.

Help?

To be more specific, I'm looking for a program that I would run minimized constantly that tunnels all my internet traffic to a specified proxy. This way I won't have to set rules for each individual program I want to run. As it stands, I don't think I could even set rules for some programs like Warcraft 3 and the like.

I had a program like this before, I just can't remember what it's called.

Back