Proxmox, WOW!

Ok, so I've tried Esxi, Hyper-v, Xen and some other stuff but I've gotta say this new version of Proxmox is really frigging fantastic.

All the features of high availability, backup, and scalability of the free hyper-v server and with the friendly easy setup of Esxi.

Best of both worlds and incredibly it's all for FREE!!!

Everything managed from your web-browser of choice without any need for special software.

Give it a go and see for yourself. I'm blown away and don't understand why Proxmox doesn't get any more attention.

It's just a management layer for KVM and containers - the interest there is in the actual hypervisor.

That being said - from what I've seen, it's pretty sweet.

I had found proxmox a couple years ago and liked that it was free. The major turn off for me at the time was that it was using Java. When I found it there where zero day's being found in Java left and right. So I stayed away from proxmox.

The idea of the hypervisor being compromised if it was running critical servers was not a idea that sat well with me.

Second post today that says proxmox is great, guess it's time to try it instead of re-installing ESXI every 60 days

I have been tinkering with Proxmox lately too. I really like it. KVM + a good front end is a great combo.

I tested this a long time ago and then forgot about it. Maybe I'll give it a try again and see how it compares to VMware.

Second post today that says proxmox is great, guess it's time to try it instead of re-installing ESXI every 60 days

If you don't need the advanced features you can just use the free version of ESXi without having to re-install. Granted, re-install takes very little time.

Proxmox is great, we've been using it for years. The latest release is just another step forward for advancing KVM into the small and medium business space.

I tried to boot proxmox from USB on my test platform but couldn't get it to work. Anyone else had success creating the USB with OSX dd?

You will need to convert the iso to an img before dd the file the usb. There are instructions that are easily found on the ubuntu website.

You will need to convert the iso to an img before dd the file the usb. There are instructions that are easily found on the ubuntu website.

Hey you seem knowledgeable. I've had good luck copying (dd) linux ISO files straight to usb sticks ... my question is, this only works because whoever authored the ISO file took an extra step to make it compatible that way, yeah? Like some sort of hybrid iso/img file? Or is it a motherboard firmware bios trick doing the job?

I liked proxmox a lot... until 4.0. The watchdog implementation for 4.0 is dicked, to say the least.

Back