Proxim Wireless card hackable to have antenna jack?

neoreturns

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=8461-05

Want the antenna jack so my dad can get better signal with his laptop on the other end of our house (where his office is).

I'm not interested in getting a repeater or a bridge, so please dont recommend them.

And even if you dont have an answer, anyone know of a more appropriate forum that I can ask about this?

Every wireless card has an internal [read: crappy] built-in antenna. If you pop off the plastic cover you will find places to solder your coax to.

I've busted open a ton of wireless cards, and haven't found one that couldn't be modded to take an antenna. If you do find one, it probably didn't work in the first place. :p

Oh sweet I guess that makes sense now that I think about it :p

How difficult is this to do?

Pretty easy if you're patient and have decent soldering skills.

Knowing where to connect what is also important, but anyone with even a low-end ham radio license would know that. Heck, anyone with the slightest electronics knowledge should be able to figure it out.

Originally posted by Shyne151
Why don't you jsut buy a card with a antenna plug? would be easier.

Well $33 (+10%) off is pretty cheap for a card based off the Orinoco chip. I cant really find anything cheaper that does have a jack present, if you know of any retailers, please reply

Back