Providers that can provide fail over / virtual IP services?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
If that is the right term.

What i am researching is having 2 ISP's, but to have them fail over yet still keep our services live with out having to modify DNS records and such.

I think Prolexic has some services but wanted to get the input of the [H] pro's.

How do these services work, i would assume something like a virtual IP that you direct all of your services to the provider, and they balance the connection for fail over, and on your end you have a dual WAN device to handle in the inbound connections?

ISP 1 goes down, the provider then sends all traffic to ISP 2 instead, which your dual WAN devices takes over and forwads the data to the services. ISP 1 comes back, they switch traffic back to them.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you are looking for DNS load balancing.
Take a look at Amazon Route 53. You can use it without using other AWS servers.

You need BGP and your own AS number to accomplish what you want to do without DNS failover.

I wouldn't trust Prolexic, myself.

What do you have against DNS failover?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you are looking for DNS load balancing.
Take a look at Amazon Route 53. You can use it without using other AWS servers.

It's not loadbalancing, it's failover. Route53's services are nascent, and like most of Amazon's web services are painful to use.

I'd recommend Dyn for DynECT. Amazon itself uses Dyn.

nothing against DNS fail over just wasn't aware it was a way to do it, today seems to be learn something new day.

Any reason not to trust Prolexic? we were looking into a BGP link with them (we already have a class C) but were trying to fine tune the costs of it, due to us being in Latin America.. our ISP does get hit with DDoS's due to the nature of alot of their business being sports and gaming related, why we are looking for a backup ISP so if they get nailed, we don't get screwed.

We already have ultraDNS for our DNS services.

Now to ask, how could i configure the same, say, website to fail over to a 2nd ISP and still route to that website via DNS, or i do need a hosted solution for this, i cant do it in house or with standard DNS services..

http://dyn.com/dns/dynect-managed-dns/active-failover/

Last edited:
nothing against DNS fail over just wasn't aware it was a way to do it, today seems to be learn something new day.

Any reason not to trust Prolexic? we were looking into a BGP link with them (we already have a class C) but were trying to fine tune the costs of it, due to us being in Latin America.. our ISP does get hit with DDoS's due to the nature of alot of their business being sports and gaming related, why we are looking for a backup ISP so if they get nailed, we don't get screwed.

We already have ultraDNS for our DNS services.

Now to ask, how could i configure the same, say, website to fail over to a 2nd ISP and still route to that website via DNS, or i do need a hosted solution for this, i cant do it in house or with standard DNS services..

http://dyn.com/dns/dynect-managed-dns/active-failover/

DynECT is the right way to do it.
UltraDNS will do it too, but for more money.

You can actually do it on your own, but you'd need reliable monitoring and some non-trivial programming to do it all automatically. DynECT will just send you an email saying "Your main IP failed, we switched you to your secondary IP", and it's done, on the wire.

I don't think ProLexic (or any service like it) is safe because it's putting itself intentionally as a target of DDoS, and people who get DDoS'd a lot are going to put themselves on it. Just sort of a common sense thing to me? I dunnno.

make sense.

I would much prefer to use a service, they know what they are doing more than I do for things like this, why they are in buisness and if they are good enough for Amazon...

Going to get in touch with them. uDNS is great but their prices are definitely high for some of their services.

make sense.

I would much prefer to use a service, they know what they are doing more than I do for things like this, why they are in buisness and if they are good enough for Amazon...

Going to get in touch with them. uDNS is great but their prices are definitely high for some of their services.

I tend to think it's the right choice.

For sure, you figure most people get DNS services because their ISP is not doing so great or lacks in area's, so then why try and go to host your own solution on that same ISP's services

Back