PROTOTYPE Apple IIc Computer System

Probably the last computer system where a single engineer was capable of understanding the entire complexity of how everything worked, both hardware and software.

Speaking of Steve Wozniak, of course.

This was my first PC. Lots of fond memories of it, especially after dumping hours upon hours into the King's Quest games ;)

Looking at the screen, I'd say it's tapped into the Matrix.

Someone buy this and send it to the 8BitGuy to have him fix it!

I still have a working Apple IIc and color monitor I picked up from a thrift store for $80 a few years ago. It's one of the older integrated 5.25" floppy models, though. Fortunately I scrounged up some workable floppies for it and a serial cable for ADTPro.

I still have a working Apple IIc and color monitor I picked up from a thrift store for $80 a few years ago. It's one of the older integrated 5.25" floppy models, though. Fortunately I scrounged up some workable floppies for it and a serial cable for ADTPro.
I'd personally prefer the 5.25" model over the 3.5" one, mainly because a vast majority of the Apple II retail software came on 5.25" floppies. I recall those with the later 3.5" model ended up buying a 5.25" external anyway for that very reason.

Reactions: blkt
like this
I'd personally prefer the 5.25" model over the 3.5" one, mainly because a vast majority of the Apple II retail software came on 5.25" floppies. I recall those with the later 3.5" model ended up buying a 5.25" external anyway for that very reason.

Yeah, but it is easier to get working 3.5" 800k (720k) media than 400k (360k) media, AND I have a few external 5.25" drives I can daisy chain off of it. The only model of 3.5" drive that works with this older Apple IIc, however, is fairly rare and expensive because it has it's own 6502 processor in it.

Learned Basic on one of those.

I used a IIC for my first few years of computer science because I had free copies of Fortran, BASIC and Pascal. I also had an assembler that came with a terrible 600-page manual (in four binders), but you had to hand-edit about a dozen files to set it up for the 6502 you were using. I never got it to work; to this day, memories of trying to use an Apple assembler make me want to flick out a red light saber and murder a Jedi academy. [note: This was before the Internet, or bulletin boards, or even 'Dummies' books, when the only thing you had was the manual.]

ya know i dont get the same fuzzy feelings for the newer stuff that i had for my apple iigs. only thing that comes close it quake stuff running on voodoo :)

Reactions: blkt
like this
Back