Protecting your computer from kids

What do you do?

I've disconnected my reset switch, my power switch doesn't initiate immediate shutdown. All my cords are ziptied and wrapped closely to the desks.

what else do you do?

I gather from your description that you're dealing with small kids, and not the invasive teen type of monster. In the past, I've gotten a case with a locking front door, or at least one with a door that hides the power switches to make them less accessible. Right now, I have a Maingear X-cube that sits on my desk as opposed to under it in some respect, and that keeps my 2 year old away from it. If you can find a desk with adequate rear ventillation, you can always lock your tower inside the CPU door that a lot of these computer desks have now. (If it's prefab, then don't put the backing on that area of the desk.) Other than that...there's not much else you can do.

You need to think outside the box. Instead of locking up your poor PC, lock up your kids in a cage.

I have a three year old, and I found the easiest thing to do is just teach him what to and not to do. They are quite receptive to learning, and after a very short time my three year old knows how to properly shut down the PC, and not to mess w/ the cables. He tends to be pretty rough on headphones still though, so I just buy cheap ones for the most part. Of course my 3 year old also has his own gaming PC, so..............

I have a three year old, and I found the easiest thing to do is just teach him what to and not to do. They are quite receptive to learning, and after a very short time my three year old knows how to properly shut down the PC, and not to mess w/ the cables. He tends to be pretty rough on headphones still though, so I just buy cheap ones for the most part. Of course my 3 year old also has his own gaming PC, so..............

This is me almost 2 years ago...mines almost 5 and hasn't broken anything yet. He now has his own headphones too...

Damn, you guys are good parents, I hope when I have kids they become as well acquainted with electronics at that early an age as yours do.

Do you guys plan on teaching them how to take apart and repair them too?

I heard on the news that there was a 9 year old who was a MSCE LOL

it made the front page news here on [H]

Mine always helps during repairs, upgrades and maintenance...at least as much as a 5 year old can.

Back