Protecting Users From Repeatedly Dangerous Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google says that it has made changes to its Safe Browsing search policy and will now slap warning labels on sites it deems "repeat offenders" for 30 days. Google found that some sites that were intentionally hosting malware would only comply with Google long enough to get the warning removed and then go right back to hosting malware. Imagine that.

As a result of this gap in user protection, we have adjusted our policies to reduce risks borne by end-users. Starting today, Safe Browsing will begin to classify these types of sites as “Repeat Offenders.” With regards to Safe Browsing-related policies, Repeat Offenders are websites that repeatedly switch between compliant and policy-violating behavior for the purpose of having a successful review and having warnings removed. Please note that websites that are hacked will not be classified as Repeat Offenders; only sites that purposefully post harmful content will be subject to the policy.

Still not long enough. I say keep the warning up until the site gets a clean bill of health for a continuous 90-day period. Hit them in the wallet.

what about the ones that come from google ads? google any major software (antivirus, zip etc) and usually you will have ads that are scam software full of malware. In the hospital systems I used to see people download chrome and firefox through google ads and infect their machines with rootkits and trojans. Yahoo was even worse (as seen on cnet ads which are a sham)

what about the ones that come from google ads? google any major software (antivirus, zip etc) and usually you will have ads that are scam software full of malware. In the hospital systems I used to see people download chrome and firefox through google ads and infect their machines with rootkits and trojans. Yahoo was even worse (as seen on cnet ads which are a sham)

fully agree.

Back