protecting the core

daven1986

n00b
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
10
I have a zalman 9500 HSF and im going to take the IHS off my opteron, however my computer is a tower therefore the 9500 is horizontal, i know this will cause it to rock on my core so i would like to put some foam on the sides to stop this occurring. so here are my questions:

1) any special type of foam or tape, or will any do?
2) how thick is the core, and therefore how thick should i make the pads?

thanks

daven
 
I left my micrometer in my other pants, so I didn't measure the thickness of the core when I had mine exposed. The ridge around the outside of the heatspreader is about 1/16" thick, and there was some thermal "paste" on the core, though it was a solid when I opened it up.

I would just make sure whatever you use will compress down to 1/16" or less, or else you may end up holding the heatsink off the core and then it'll poof.
 
Back
Top