Protecting My Wireless Internet

Karant

Gawd
Okay, I have 3 computers in my house, each of which is owned by a different person. Recently I have found there is an uninvited 4th computer in my network next-door, taking advantage of my wireless router. I was wondering if there is any easy ways of protecting my internet from intruders in my wireless proximity. If it means, I am using a cable connection and a Dlink router. Thanks.

mac filtering, wep, wpa pick one more than likely your neighbor won't get past any of them.

WPA2 (or if you don't have that option use WPA, if you don't have that option use WEP)

Turn on Mac filtering, plus some sort of encryption (like the ones others have mentioned) and disable the SSID broadcast then change the name of the SSID. That will surely piss your neighbor off.

THAT - OR - if your neighbor isn't very computer literate and doesn't have much (or any) protection as far as firewall or whatnot...enter into his c: drive and edit his boot.ini to boot to a safe mode command prompt or recovery console. Let him figure that one out :p

nst6563 said:
THAT - OR - if your neighbor isn't very computer literate and doesn't have much (or any) protection as far as firewall or whatnot...enter into his c: drive and edit his boot.ini to boot to a safe mode command prompt or recovery console. Let him figure that one out :p

That's how I always do it, you know try the simple legal method first and if that doesn't work I try to see how many crimes I can commit.........

:-/

Thanks, but I have slim to none experience with networking. Is there any written tutorials that could potentially help me? Thanks.

nst6563 said:
Turn on Mac filtering, plus some sort of encryption (like the ones others have mentioned) and disable the SSID broadcast then change the name of the SSID. That will surely piss your neighbor off.

Nah you change the shell to like minesweeper.........

Pretty much mac filtering is what I would do. Google will turn up a bunch of guides on setting up some protection.

It's pretty self explanatory once you get in the router administration pages.

I use a DI-624 for my wireless and it was extremely easy to set up mac filtering, turn on WEP, and disable SSID broadcast without being a guru.

One tip, however, before you start messing with the settings is to go into the Admin/Status page and save the config file first. If you mess something up or don't like the way it performs after you change the settings, you can load the old config file and have it back to normal.

drdeutsch

Back