Prospective Buyer Weighing Options

Kuromizu

Gawd
I'm looking at replacing my several year old x1900xt. It's starting to show it's age on what I play now. It's not making games unplayable; in fact, far from it. However, there are some games I would like to at least try without having to turn my resolution down and eye candy off.

Here's what I use now:

E6600 @ 3.0ghz
ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe
2x 320gb WD SATAII HDD
4GB Corsair DDR2 800 (2x2gb)
X1900XT 512mb
24" Soyo P-MVA 1920x1200
500w Antec True Power

I generally play TF2, CS:S, CS now. I'd like to be able to play CoD4, Mass Effect, and newer RTS's as well as an MMO called Aion in the future.

My deadline for purchasing a new card is the release of Aion. Supposedly that should be early 2009 (February likely).

What do you guys think? Should I pick up a 4850 for $150 at BB now and just hope that lasts me or wait until early 2009 for some revision or new card to be released?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I realize this is purely a subjective question but please leave the flaming of members for their video card preferences out of the topic! thanks!

What's your budget? It's easy for us to spend money when it's not ours.

You prefer ATi over nVidia? Or vice versa? Or are you willing to look at both companies?

4850 now if you want to play COD4. If you can wait till around christmas or maybe sooner you should be able to get a GTX 280 55nm die shrink. Another good option is the GTX 260 sp16

I have no preference to brand. And think of my budget this way. The longer it seems it will last, the more I'll pay. (I'm trying to avoid going into the $400+ range though)

Honestly I'd just pick up a 4850, or if you like AA then 4870. Anything above that will be massive overkill IMO - the 4850 should have no problem running any of the games you listed (I don't know about Aion but I wouldn't expect there to be any problems with that).

The upcoming RTSs like Red Alert 3 and Starcraft 2 should be pretty well designed for cheaper graphics cards - the 4850 should be able to play them and similar titles maxed out at your native resolution, maybe even with AA.

Back