Props to XFX

SulSeeker

Gawd
I just want to share my recent experience with XFX .

I purchased a 7900GT from Newegg around april of last year. This card had already been RMA'd once and replaced, and the new card started experiencing the same artifacting as the first card did. I pulled it out of my rig around Mid March and got online at XFXforce.com and started the RMA procedure as I did last time.

I purchased a 6800 NU AGP card roughly 2 years ago from Mewegg also, to replace a 5950 that just couldn't handle Fear. I guess I got lucky as this card was from XFX also. It finally decided "I'm done" two days after the 7900GT died.

If you have ever had a card do down on you, imagine my dismay as my GF's rig went down the crapper too.

All is not lost tho. The friendly Techs were able to piggy back the 6800 NU on the RMA also (since I hadn't shipped yet) and would take a look at the card.

Both of these are covered under XFX's double lifetime warranty.

Couple weeks go by... Didn't hear anything... and during this time I've been planning on getting a couple 8800 GTS 320's (and getting the GF off a Socket A/AGP sustem altogether,) when my Honey calls me at work, "You got a package from UPS today!"

Get home to find XFX had replaced the 6800 NU-128 with a 7600 256 AGP card, and the 7900GT with a 7950 GT 512!!!!

I just want to take the time to thank XFX publicly and also recommend the purchase of their cards to anyone who is considering upgrading. I know what company the 8800's I'm looking forward to are coming from.

lol.. that's how they roll :)

Great company. Dealt with them twice also with the crappy 7900 revision.

i like xfx too other than you can overclock them or take the HSF off without voiding the warranty

I also bought a 7900 GT last april. They replaced it with the same card you got. It took 35 days from me shipping UPS ground to getting the new card. I ended up buying an 8800 GTS 640 before I sent the 7900 GT. Sold the new card for 250 on ebay. I offered it here for 250 shipped but no one wanted it. :(

With the new 8800 GTS/X cards, you don't want to remove the heatsink anyways. It is really good if you direct the airflow properly.

lol 35 days. I had to RMA my 7900gt twice and thats a total of 2 weeks for both rma's :)

Yeah, 2 weeks seems to be the turn around for RMA's, which is fine cause they do test your card... and I didn't pay for overnight or 2-Day.

Well, I was not pushing them to rush either. I already had the new one I bought. I never complained once.

xfx they can afford to fix this card , the cpu or mem dont go bad its surpporting part like voltage reg that go bad.plus it keeps customer coming back.

i like xfx too other than you can overclock them or take the HSF off without voiding the warranty

Not true, you're thinking of eVGA there.

XFX Online Warranty Details/7 series said:
“Proper Usage” is defined as normal wear and tear. Should the Product be modified or damaged as the result of overclocking, tampering, alteration, misuse, abuse, power supply, power application, or repair by other than XFX the warranty is VOID.

So according to their terms, no overclocking and heatsink changes are NOT covered, it's up to you to a) not mention it (aka scummy), and b) change a heatsink over and hope they don't notice the paste change. Of course, it doesn't matter if either the phone people or RMA techs say "ok" ...But that's the difference (besides double life) with eVGA - their terms DO say you can do both things.

from evga KB said:
Overclocking our products does not void the warranty as long as there is no physical damage to the product or missing components.
and
evga warranty online terms said:
...no physical damage....caused by:....damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.

Overclocking is explicitly allowed, and while the terms ARE void if you damage the card during a cooler swap (neglect in mounting for example), multiple sources on the evga boards have given their approval of heatsink swaps (keeping in mind the physical damage bit, and the fact that you NEED to keep & reinstall the stock cooler in the event of an RMA or get dinged ~15-20% of MSRP on RMA)...Jacob Freeman for example (sales rep?), another Jacob I believe, one of the 2 Mario's perhaps, maybe Joe Darwin...And multiple evga mods (non evga employess; so they're word doesn't carry that much weight [sorry RussianHaxor :p]).

Enough of that, sorry if I made this seem like a rant against XFX, it's not at all. I just wanted to point out mis-information. Then again, while you probably would be ok with them, all you need is an RMA/support person that got out of the wrong side of the bed when you mention cooler swaps, and you're toast. Other than that, they're a fine company to choose, if not for eVGA, and/or I had a choice with an XFX card at a nice chunk less than eVGA (for example), I would go with them.. Other than these two, and BFG for their lifetime coverage, they're the only ones I'd EVER consider (in the NVIDIA market), all the others either don't have US based RMA, or their warranty periods are short (1-2 years max)..I just happened to go for evga in building my current 939/165 system, since I saved ~$100-150 on a 7800 (now 7900)/mobo combo; and ended up using the step-up program to upgrade (something impossible w/ XFX) - if I didn't tend to keep my old equipment (ie: possibly sell off to upgrade), I'd probably just go w/ XFX since their double warranty IS terribly useful for resale purposes. The only thing that I don't like (and I believe this applies to both XFX and BFG) is the reliance on the telephone RMA process. I like eVGA's online handling, as well as some degree of support for the process via their message boards (something XFX killed off during the 7900 disaster).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - @ OP - nice to hear they took care of you..Although it's not that surprising that they took care of you in such a way..Both of your old cards were outdated by the models that they ended up sending you, and likely they no longer had any of the exact ones in RMA/refurb stock. Not something that I'd rely on, and it's still nice they did that. Also, did they send you boxed/new/retail or bare/refurb cards?

The 2 weeks does seem a bit excessive, but I guess I'm in a bit of a good spot in that respect. The trek from the eVGA HQ -> UPS warehouse -> me in Santa Monica is an overnight affair even with standard ground (not including any testing of course but they tend to be pretty quick about turnaround [2-3 days tops unless something get screwed up along the chain]); you being in Oregon is a bit different.

[edit]Maybe OCZ too, since they're in the G80 market; and offer lifetime as well.

Back