Proper way of replacing WHS system drive

SKiZZ

Gawd
My main drive with WHS started to make a clicking sound last week for about an hour and has since stopped. I quickly purchased an exact match for the drive and have it in my hands. What would be the best way to copy the WHS install and data to that new drive? Cloning it? Ordering another drive, taking that one out of the pool and then reinstalling WHS on the new drive. I only have 500gb left on the server so I would have to purchase another drive to have enough space to put the data on a new drive have a new systme drive. Let me know, thanks.

IF you can get the data off I guess you couldn't go wrong with ghosting the drive to another drive. Not so sure about that though.

From what I read the WHS method for a dead OS drive is to replace the drive reinstall the OS and select reinstallation in the GUI setup. It will search your other drives for toombstones and rebuild what it can from what it finds with duplication and the rest it either finds it and adds it or it is gone.

Running ghost does not work.

You are kind of SOL to be frank

Just install the new disk
Insert WHS CD
choose the repair option.

Once in the WHS it will recognize your Data Pool.
Then connect old drive and try to copy the backups to it.

Since WHS is based on Server 2k3, it doesn't obviously have my raid card in its driver repo. If I somehow have to reinstall, can I still recover the data off the drives that were on the raid card (in JBOD)? It'll wait for me to fully install all drivers/drives that I want before I search for my old (and dupe) files?

You have to load the drivers at the beginning of the repair or your pool will not get recognized, and a repair not available.

ACK this is the only thing thats a whole bag of fail. I haven't had an issue untill now.

Guess I'm going order another two 1.5TB drives and I have my new supermicro cards coming in so I can turn on duplication for everything, because I ran out of space on my motherboard for sata ports..

Then once everything is duplicated, I'll go ahead and place a fresh drive in that slot and wait forever for the tombstones to rebuild. ACK, this is a pain in my groin and no less.

How do I know everything has been duplicated? I have some critical stuff on here I don't really wanna lose.

ACK this is the only thing thats a whole bag of fail. I haven't had an issue untill now.

Guess I'm going order another two 1.5TB drives and I have my new supermicro cards coming in so I can turn on duplication for everything, because I ran out of space on my motherboard for sata ports..

Then once everything is duplicated, I'll go ahead and place a fresh drive in that slot and wait forever for the tombstones to rebuild. ACK, this is a pain in my groin and no less.

How do I know everything has been duplicated? I have some critical stuff on here I don't really wanna lose.

Umm you dont have to have anything duplicated, if its just the system drive.
You dont have any data on it right? And even if you do, you can connect it after the repair and transfer that little bit over.

Also there is no such thing as rebuilding of tombstones. Its not like a RAID. Tombstones are only for duplication.
If you have duplication turned on, DE creates a tombstone"index" to tell the FS where the duplicated copy is.
The pool is all created by NTFS Symbolic Links.

Umm you dont have to have anything duplicated, if its just the system drive.
You dont have any data on it right? And even if you do, you can connect it after the repair and transfer that little bit over.

Also there is no such thing as rebuilding of tombstones. Its not like a RAID. Tombstones are only for duplication.
If you have duplication turned on, DE creates a tombstone"index" to tell the FS where the duplicated copy is.
The pool is all created by NTFS Symbolic Links.

I see what you are saying now. Since I'm on PP3 do I have to remove that and then do what you said since my install is only PP1 I believe.

On an up note, I get to get the wife to let me buy some more HD space ;)

Back