Proper Forceware install procedure

creach

n00b
I'm looking to update my drivers to the latest Forceware driver that was released Friday, but I had a question about the install: Is it really necessary to use Driver Cleaner each time you install a new driver, or am I safe just uninstalling the current one and then installing the latest ones?

not 100% necessary to even uninstall the old ones per say...but recommended...it will help to ensure that absolutely no issues are being caused by old driver conflicts...driver cleaner is a nice utility

correct me if i'm wrong though :p

Maybe not neccessary, however I use it every time, works good for me that way every time. Back "in the day" you could just install new drivers over old ones. Anyway not uninstalling can leave to much old garbage in the registry.

A noob question, but I have Driver Cleaner version 1.5 build 14.However, mobo is also nvidia, do I just use the nvidia WDM cleaning selection to remove video driver remains?

i usually remove all 4 nvidia things, and install the chipset (again) then video drivers.

I rolled back my video drivers from the most recent ones because they caused bad graphic corruption in CoD4. I used the process of safe mode -> uninstall -> driver cleaner -> normal mode -> chipset/reboot -> video/reboot -> configure card(s) no matter if its an upgrade or a roll back.

Not to knock the methods of anyone else, but the way I got these drivers to install was by uninstalling the old ones, and then installing the new ones in safe mode (after making a call to tech support). If I tried to install the 169.25 drives in the regular environment, any resolution higher than 640x480 would cause a screen scramble after the new drivers were installed. I suppose that makes 2 for safe mode...

Back