Prolimatech Coolers

Mthr1

Weaksauce
These coolers seem very good performers. I haven't air cooled any procs for a long time, but recently acquired a QX6800 and won't be running water on this bench box. I'm looking to get a Megahalems. The last air cooler that I've used was a Zalman 9700 a long time ago. I know the Kentsfield chips have a pretty high thermal envelope, so I want to get a pretty decent aftermarket cooler to tame it's temps.

Any Prolimatech owners can attest to the long term performance of their coolers? Again, I'd mostly look into a Megahalem, but I see the Super Mega is similar with a small dose of copper.

The Megahalems is a great cooler. It was a big improvement over the Zalman 9900CPS I had by a pretty wide margin. It also has one of the best mounting systems I've used and secures the cooler extremely well. If do go with it, I would suggest Scythe GentleTyphoons fans.

Are you using a two fan system on the cooler? Why do you like Scythe fans over any others? I've had a Scythe 120mm fan fail prematurely on my last year...kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've once use Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. I said this is a good cooler for its price on par with Thermalright Ultra Extreme Rev C.

Don't go to super mega, if you're looking to a big cooler, just go to Noctua D14 or Thermalright Silver arrow as they both are the best air cooler right now IMHO, but you'll loose the availability on using taller RAM like dominator or reaper HPC.

If you'd like to overclock, and not trying to do extreme overclock and still want to use overclocked ram, I think Megahalem is a good choice. I wouldn't recommend armageddon, since I saw it doesn't give much performance boost over the Megahalems.

I don't have screenshot again when I'm using Megahalem. and I'm using Noctua D14 now

I have used the Megahalems for a while to cool core i7 920 and now i5 2500K. Damn good cooler. Easy mounting system. Dual fan config and not too excessive big like the Noctua D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow.

the best one is D14 but is too big,Megahalems is a very good cpu cooler and not too expensive like D14.

The Megahalems is at a good price point for me right now, as I really don't want to spend $90 on a cooler that won't yield all the much more performance. All my boxes are overclocked, however, all of them are on water. The QX6800 doesn't have a whole lot of OC headroom, as I don't anticipate getting much more beyond 3.5.

I'll be looking into the cooler very shortly. I am disappointed that it lacked the inclusion of a fan, even if it were not the most ideal fan choice. At $60, perhaps that's how they manage to keep the price point. Although, the unnecessary stainless fin up top is not important to me.

Agreed, the size of the Megahalems appear to be a good compromise. I recall when I used my Zalman 9700, I thought it was excessively larger than what I would like to see.

I have used the Megahalems for a while to cool core i7 920 and now i5 2500K. Damn good cooler. Easy mounting system. Dual fan config and not too excessive big like the Noctua D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow.

The Megahalems is my favorite cooler, it has a very good mounting system and it's performance is up there with the best air coolers.

Those guys are Prolimatech are all Thermalright defectors, correct?

Are you using a two fan system on the cooler? Why do you like Scythe fans over any others? I've had a Scythe 120mm fan fail prematurely on my last year...kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, two fans. I'm using GentleTyphoons because they have great airflow/noise ration, and have very high static pressure for such thin fans. My GT1850 are quieter than most case fans at 1600RPM. I've had Scythe fans for the last 3 years and have only had problems with the cheaper Slipstreams, which are poor for heatsinks anyways.

I'll make sure I look into those fans. I plan on placing my order for the cooler this evening. Thanks for the info.

Yes, two fans. I'm using GentleTyphoons because they have great airflow/noise ration, and have very high static pressure for such thin fans. My GT1850 are quieter than most case fans at 1600RPM. I've had Scythe fans for the last 3 years and have only had problems with the cheaper Slipstreams, which are poor for heatsinks anyways.

Actually, slipstreams are some of the best cpu fans. Take a look at how big the motor is relative to the fan blades and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, slipstreams are some of the best cpu fans. Take a look at how big the motor is relative to the fan blades and you'll see what I mean.

They have low static pressure and cheaper bearings. I've tried both and the GT are in a whole other class compared to Slipstreams. Slipstreams are also quite loud for the amount of air they push.

Last edited:
I've used a Scythe slipstream 120mm fan before. Not impressed at all. They utilize cheaper sleeve bearings and renders over 35dba noise levels. I've used a few Noctua NF-P12 fans in some of my boxes and have really liked them, but they are more expensive that most 120mm fans. I also have used several sizes of the Panasonic fans. Very reliable and good performers, just not the quietest.

I'm going to try a couple of the Gently Typhoon fans. Seem to be a good compromise between noise, air flow, and price. 2 ball style bearings are nice too.

I use the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. along with 2 Noctua P12 fans in a push pull config. With a 4GHz oc my idle temps are around 40 C, load temps ~75. As others have mentioned, great - and easy - mounting system.

Yes, it appears that the mounting of this cooler is definitely one of it's strong suits.

Back