Projectors: How trivial is it to replace a DMD Chip?

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Hello all.

I am so wildly out-of place when looking at projectors and whatnot. I see a lot of projectors selling on Ebay with DMD faults. A few Google searches tell me its about a $200 fix, but requires getting one's hands dirty actually taking things apart. I trust you guys more than any hack on Youtube, so let me know.

I'm a career PC technician, so I'm not afraid of replacing parts or whatnot, but is this something a PC technician would be able to do easily, or will it require precision soldering, micrometre adjustment or cleanroom access?

If it's as easy as swapping out a RAM chip, then I'll see if I can buy a as-is projector and take my chances, but if it's going to require an electrical engineering degree, I'm not sure it will be money well spent.

Hello all.

I am so wildly out-of place when looking at projectors and whatnot. I see a lot of projectors selling on Ebay with DMD faults. A few Google searches tell me its about a $200 fix, but requires getting one's hands dirty actually taking things apart. I trust you guys more than any hack on Youtube, so let me know.

I'm a career PC technician, so I'm not afraid of replacing parts or whatnot, but is this something a PC technician would be able to do easily, or will it require precision soldering, micrometre adjustment or cleanroom access?

If it's as easy as swapping out a RAM chip, then I'll see if I can buy a as-is projector and take my chances, but if it's going to require an electrical engineering degree, I'm not sure it will be money well spent.

Doesn't require any degree or knowledge, just tools and patience. Service manual would be handy.

You can prolly pick up a working dmd off eBay for cheaper than 200

Thanks for the quick response!

So if I see a BenQ W5000 with a DMD issue going for cheap, it's a pretty good find?

Also, are DMD chips like RAM, as in, there are a handful of different ones, and most projectors are compatible, or are they more like "every single projector has a unique DMD chip"?

There is series of them, so you'll need the part number off the 5000.

Good projector. Stay away from optima, they made a few series that overheated and ruined the chips. Replace it and it'll just fail again.

The one I have my eye on is manufactured 2008, not much else identifiable, other than some "SenseEye" branding. It does 3D apparently, which I am not interested in, however this may indicate it can run higher refresh rates?

You can get a new 1080p dlp for 500, so I would be cautious spending money fixing an older model.

You can get a new 1080p dlp for 500, so I would be cautious spending money fixing an older model.

See, this is why I come here. Pretty much all 1080p projectors in Australia start at around $1000 USD (around 1350 AU). A screaming deal would be something under $1K AU.

I'm happy to purchase a lesser-known brand, but I don't have the know-how to know when I'm getting screwed.

Last edited:
See, this is why I come here. Pretty much all 1080p projectors in Australia start at around $1000 USD (around 1350 AU). A screaming deal would be something under $1K AU.

I'm happy to purchase a lesser-known brand, but I don't have the know-how to know when I'm getting screwed.

Darn, dang taxes

The DMD chips themselves are pretty standard (there were only a couple different designs by TI...within certain market segments). But the PCB and stuff they are attached to will be totally different for every manufacturer and model line.

Be aware of bulbs though, make sure the model you are looking at has a bulb that is easily available. I have an 82" Mitsubishi and I love it, but finding authentic bulbs (phillips/osram) are starting to get hard. For me, the real ones cost about $100, and the fake ones cost about $30. The difference is not only durability and lifetime, but also color temperature.

Just something to think about.

Back