Projectors and downsides?

Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
920
Ok, so I've never really looked into getting a projector to use as a monitor. But I'm sitting at school doing work, and I decided to hookup the projector I have in the lab to my laptop, and project a movie on it while I work. I like having movies on in the background while I work, it makes it more likely that I'll pay attention to the work(Don't ask ;)

Anyways, sitting here watching Batman Begins, a movie with a decent amount of movement, and I'm noticing no real issue with the picture, other then needing the lights off to get a good image. If I minimize the movie, the text is readably clear when I'm typing, and I wouldn't really be typing/reading a ton on the HTPC.

I've been toying turning my current puter into a HTPC when I upgrade this summer, and I'm now toying with the idea of getting a smaller projector to use as a monitor, instead of a new LCD. This would be mainly for TV/Movies/and a bit of gaming, and I'm wondering what the downsides really are. Many of the downsides I've heard seem to be hold overs from earlier times, and I'm wondering what's really the pro's/con's of Projectors these days.
 
There are a few downsides but the overall effect is amazing as you have seen.

Downsides:
To get higher resolution you need to replace the projector. Make sure you get a minimum of 1024x768. Higher res costs quite a lot more right now so 1024 is optimal.
Bulb cost can be prohibitive. They last around 2,000 to 3,000 hrs assuming nothing goes wrong and cost anywhere from £150 to £400.
Be prepared to reduce light reflections in your room as no matter how bright the projector, it will always look a little better with a darker room (a white screen is only ever truly black in complete darkness. This isnt as big a concern as you might think though as the human eye adjusts to the darkness level to some degree).
Some models (both cheap and expensive) arent very good. You need to choose wisely. Spend a lot of time reading up on them, its a lot of money to splash down if you get it wrong.
Try to get a projector with readily available bulbs that are cheap and last longest.

Upsides:
truly massive and top quality picture with the right projector.
No eyestrain ever
Gaming and films are awesome
Everyone can watch with ease
Fit a big hifi round you and you will be 'there'
You can paint a wall with ordinary bright Matt White which works great as a screen.

I built a 2.5 metre screen projector from a 15" Iiyama LCD, a 3M 1750 OHP and a 250W Daylight (5300K) Metal Halide bulb. Its just great, the bulbs last 6000+ hours and cost less than £30!!
(The OHP is a triplet lense system, I much advise this as it is more light efficient and the OHP's using triplet lenses tend to have better quality lenses - they give a more uniform focus across the screen)
Overall cost: £110 LCD, £80 full light Kit including better rear reflector, £180 OHP + some fans I had laying around. £2 for a hammer to flatten the bulb mounting tray to fit the new bulb :D

Mine has been running for over a year (6,000 honest hours!) with the same bulb
I'm using it now to type this.
Overall a well worthy thing to get..
 
Back
Top