Projector Lumens Needed for Lit Indoor Use

Neapolitan6th

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to buy my first projector and looking for some recommendations on what number of lumens I should be shopping for. The projector would predominately be used for indoor home use, however I would like to use it in a fully lit room as well.

I'm trying to avoid a washed out image that a lit room might cause. Its seems the more common options are around 3000 lumens. However, I would consider 4500, 5000, even 6000. At what point do lumen #s become overkill in this usecase?

I am willing to pay up if necessary, but hopefully some advice here will keep me from paying more than needed. (Budget could be flexible from 1K to 5K if required)

how bright is the room.
this is an Epson Cinema 2150 with 2500 lumens projecting onto my dark grey walls. It would be even brighter with a screen.

IMG_0060.JPEG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Projectors can’t throw black. The black on the screen can only be as dark as the ambient light, No matter how bright the projector you can’t fix the black problem in ambient light. Modern movies have a lot of night shots, and increasingly more. In dark scenes in ambient light you won’t be able to see jack.

As a projector owner for 20 years in my home theater space, I can’t stand ambient light when watching a projected image. If you want full ambient light buy a big 82” LG OLED or 85” LCD this year IMO.

horses for courses.

If you must have a projector in ambient light then I’d say look at one of the new 2020 or 2021 3000-5000 lumen laser projectors. They do double duty in ambient light and are rated highly.

projectorcentral and projectorreview are the two best projector review sites.

Here’s a couple $3000 models that get decent reviews in ambient light.

LG HU810PW dual laser DLP projector. Brand new model, getting lots of praise.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-CineBeam-HU810PW-Laser-Projector-Review.htm#SDR Bright Room Viewing

custom installer version of LG 810
https://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/lg-au810pb-cinebeam-4k-laser-projector-review-summary/

Panasonic PT-LZR355U laser RGB LCD projector, received great reviews.
https://www.projectorreviews.com/panasonic/panasonic-pt-lrz35u-rgb-led-dlp-projector-review-summary/

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll that gives me a lot to chew on. Reason I'm leaning for a projector is for the flexibility it affords in regards to mobility and occasionally changing up its location.

And Zepher, that looks great considering the amount of light and it being projected on your wall.

I will update when I make a choice!

Thanks ya'll that gives me a lot to chew on. Reason I'm leaning for a projector is for the flexibility it affords in regards to mobility and occasionally changing up its location.

And Zepher, that looks great considering the amount of light and it being projected on your wall.

I will update when I make a choice!
I haven't gotten my screen up yet but this is what it looks like with the lights off,

IMG_0142.JPEG IMG_0141.JPEG

I bought my Epson as a renewed product for $529,
epson-projector.jpg

Back