Project: ?

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't have a project name for this one yet. I haven't really built or used a desktop in about 2+ year now. My desktop died and work was already a laptop and all I had left was my laptop...so it became my main box along with a docking station and an external monitor. I kind fell out of being interested in building systems was building AK-47's from parts kits and AR-15s..well now I've had my share of those and figured I'd make a nice little file server.

A friend gifted me an Athlon 64 4000+ and an ASUS A8N32-SLI board as well as a modular power supply as he had just upgraded to a new system and had no use for those parts. Since this is just going to be my home fileserver and maybe light gaming (Im a 360 user for the most part) I figured I didn't need to go out and buy an i7 or anything.

The mods on this won't be anything crazy, pretty much either all practical, simple aesthetic changes or indulging my OCD.

I bought a Cooler Master HAF 932 from another user here for a great price so it's going to be the foundation of the mod. I plan on RAID 5-ing four 500gb drives for the storage on this system.

Im also planning on hiding or tidying as many cables as possible which also includes sleeving any cable that's exposed.

So I got home from work last night to a giant box the the other [H] member had sent me as well as some of the internals that I wont need for a little while.

I started working on disassembly of the case right away. So far I have everything removed except for the 5.25 quick release assemblies..it was 12:30 in the morning at this point and I didn't want to do anything in my tiredness that I'd regret.

I was able to sleeve the wires for two of the gigantic fans they include with the case however.

So my current aims for the build are:

• Paint the inside of the HAF 932
  • Sleeve all cables
  • A cable management job that doesnt rely on locking everything in with zip ties (i.e. everything easily serviceable)
  • Anything else that strikes my fancy along the way

I'm also planning on building a little system for my daughter (6) to play webkinz etc on so when I'm stuck working form home she could come hang out with me in my office if she wants to (or gets board playing on the swingset or with legos etc)...she loves Zelda so I'm going to theme it after that for her....got that one ripped down to frame and already started sanding etc...but that will be another worklog.

I'll upload pictures when Im back from the office tonight.

Next on the chopping block:

Sleeving:
Is to figure out all of the PSU wires I'll need and sleeve+shrink them.
Sleeve case cables I'll need

Disassembly cont'd
Remove the 5.25 push button adapters
Drill out the rivets on the case

Painting
Finish taping off the external portion of the case I dont want painted
Sand surfaces destined to be painted
coat of self etching primer
base coat(s)
wet sand
top coat(s)
clear coat(s)

Any suggestions are always welcome, I haven't built a box in so long...now I remember how much fun it can be.

As promised - pictures.

Case starting out (for the most part)

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Im mocking up the board first before painting to figure out where I might need some additional holes for cable routing and found I wanted one a little tighter in for the 20 pin...my holesaw wasnt up to the task so I just rotary tool + hand filed it. My daughter (6) was kind enough to snap some shots for me

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

I then put in the PSU to see if the wires that were going to be there no matter what (4 pin, 20 pin, board has a molex plug too)....and the 4 pin wire is about 5-6" too short...so I did what any of us would do and whipped out the soldering iron.

here's a shot comparing the length to a 6pin cable which was the right length

IMG_0165.jpg

I only had some unused leads from an old PSU to use...so I made due with those, Im not the best at soldering but the leads all work (tested cont with my multimeter).

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Then I figured I'd finish it off by sleeving the thing:

IMG_0170.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

More mock-up later tonight to figure out cable paths as well as lengths...deciding on best way to handle the bundle from the case front...then it's on to popping rivets...priming and then painting!

Hooray for file shavings in the carpet... :rolleyes:

lol nothing a war torn 1960's era vacuum cant handle.

Did it where I did because I didn't want to wake up my sleeping wife (9 months pregnant) with the noise from cutting/filing in the work area which is right below the living room which is where she was napping.

Happy wife, happy life.

Just got some of the priming done, need to go out for more primer and some 800-1000 grit for wetsanding...then we put the regular coats on and then some clear.

Pics to follow sometime today!

Got these parts wetsanded and left them outside to dry...then started riveting them back together.

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers131.jpg

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers130.jpg

Then I figured I'd get dinner started while some of these were out drying and while I was getting the rivets back in.

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers134.jpg

Got these parts wetsanded and left them outside to dry...then started riveting them back together.

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers131.jpg

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers130.jpg

Then I figured I'd get dinner started while some of these were out drying and while I was getting the rivets back in.

cookieskakobsandcustomcomputers134.jpg
Nice build, looking forward to it, and you made me hungry : /

subbed, and damn those shish kabobs look delicious. I look forward to seeing more of this because I wanted to paint my HAF 932 but I'm too scared to do it without someone doing it first so I can get a step by step.

subbed, and damn those shish kabobs look delicious. I look forward to seeing more of this because I wanted to paint my HAF 932 but I'm too scared to do it without someone doing it first so I can get a step by step.

I riveted the thing back together last night and started test fitting some things. At the moment I'm trying to decide if having the PSU at the top will be better for wire management or at the bottom....oddly enough Im thinking the top but I'll have to see.

I'll get some pics for you guys tonight.

im wondering about this whole wet sanding stuff. it seems like a lot of work. :rolleyes: is it necessary to get a good finish? and do you hand sand the whole thing with a lot of water or what? ive always just sandblasted and then primed and painted my stuff, but m afraid of doing it on these thin computer pieces. its also not the best for a good smooth finish.

im wondering about this whole wet sanding stuff. it seems like a lot of work. :rolleyes: is it necessary to get a good finish? and do you hand sand the whole thing with a lot of water or what? ive always just sandblasted and then primed and painted my stuff, but m afraid of doing it on these thin computer pieces. its also not the best for a good smooth finish.

depends on what kind of finish you're looking for. I started going glossy but went matte in the end, so for me the wet sanding was a waste of time because I covered the glossy with matte after all was said and done. If you're going for a glossy look and intend on clear coating as well the results will be clear (haha) then.

As already said, depends on what you want as an end result. If glossy, go with the wetsanding (add a little dishsoap to make the sandpaper glide more smoothly), and if a matte or satin finish is desried, just go with the sand, prime, and paint approach.

While I think it totally depends on the project at hand (and taste) the effort put into a good high gloss finish usually pays off.

Sorry for the lack of photo updates - as I noted before 9 month pregnant wife is kind of the center of my attention right now, plus I have some impacted wisdom teeth that I need to get removed ASAP.

I also had to rip apart my microwave yesterday to install a new high voltage diode into it...you never know how much you take the microwave for granted until it's hosed.

Ahhh so cute :), very nice build quality on the baby. Be sure to register it so you get warranty.

Seriously, have a fun time with the baby, and try to sleep heh! We'll be here when you come back.

Back