• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: You Tell Me!!!

Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
3,622
Well, I have had this thing to do for a while, but never got anything done with it really...

I have a MATX case that came from an OLD OLD P3 system that was pre-built. The system was given to me and used to screw around with Ubuntu on....well, it is too slow even for that. So I am probably going to trash the parts or find some use for it...but in the mean time I would like it to be my first mod.

I started to mod the case. I borrowed a dremel and cut a side panel out of it. IT is a little ragged, and probably a little uneven, but it was my first time ever using a dremel, and I had to cut it just by going on the line. Should have used a jigsaw....

I then started to paint it black. I already had the plexi and wanted to install it also, but didn't have the trim or anything to seal it with (now know to get double sided 3M tape). So I wanted to paint it. Well, me being a noob, I used just a regular old can of black spray paint. I put on 2 coats, and boy did it look horrible. It was all bubbled and nasty. I said screw that, and sanded most of the case. I didn't sand all of the front because it was grooved and such, so I may still need to do some more, IDK. I only sanded it back down to the beige though, not metal, so yeah.

Here are some pics of the system. You tell me what to do with it!!! Some things I am/want to do though are:
Put that window in (after I get paint and everything done!)
Paint the metal chassy a funky color (such as neon orange or green....red would also be cool)
Paint the case shell (it is a whole part not just side panels...) a color (probably black, but might go for a cool green or something to match with the paint on the chassy)

SO yeah. I need to know what paint to use, how to do it, how to prime it, etc. Any help and input is much appreciated!!
Here is the thing I have to work with! Be creative with ideas!!!





 
Cut a 120mm hole in the front grate bit for a fan and the biggest you can fit in the back next to the IO plate - looks like 92mm might fit. Sand down and paint the chassis black or some funky colour like orange. Spray paint should be ok if the surfae is ok - the pros will probably say to prime it first.
I think the front panel looks good already so i'd just paint it, but i'm sure others will have some better ideas.
 
Nice, an old school IBM Aptiva case. I have one of those lying around my house... with the internals still working ;)
 
Well, I am getting the primer and paint tomorrow. Any tips on what to get?

Also, what is wet sanding, and will I have to do it?
 
Wet sanding is sanding with wet/dry sandpaper and water, usually between paint coats to make the final finish smoother.....W/D sandpaper is usually black.
 
I would paint it white. The inside and the outside. The Fornt white too and the black at the front sky blue...

It could looks like this Klick


and change the LEDs with dark blue LEDs :)
 
Oh. Well, I went, and I got some RUSTOLEUM primer, then some reg. black spray paint and some orange spray paint. For 2 cans of each color and 1 primer it was 12 or so.
 
Oh. Well, I went, and I got some RUSTOLEUM primer, then some reg. black spray paint and some orange spray paint. For 2 cans of each color and 1 primer it was 12 or so.

No pressure to do black and orange, it was just a suggestion :p The white also looks quite good.
 
Haha. I wanted to do green, but a neon greeen....they didn't have it :(

I'm thinking orange chassis with black outer.....
Also, I am starting to paint tomorrow.

WILL I HAVE TO WETSAND?
 
Thanks! Will do :)

I just put a 2nd coat on. It looks fine, so that is probably it.

Should I sand before painting the case and stuff?!? I know I can't sand the metal, but the case and front (front is plastic)...should I sand it? NVIDIA site said use 400grit sandpaper...all i have is 120 at the largest. If I need to sand though, I will go buy some 400 or so and do it.
 
Alright finished the primer coats....I think it is decent. WHEN I SAND WITH SANDPAPER (see above), do I press hard or what?!?

p00037nl7.jpg

p00038sd4.jpg

p00039yg2.jpg
 
I'd sand everything with a light touch, with 400g sandpaper.

Just the weight of your hand.
 
Will do :)

Will I have to sand the chassy? I mean, I can't really get into some places in it, but I can sand if necessary. Was hoping to put a coat on that tomorrow, but if I have to sand I can.
 
p00040ku8.jpg

p00041hn0.jpg


Sorry for the craptastic phone pics. Got a first coat of paint on everything today. I wet sanded the out case and front before spray painting.
 
Got another coat put on everything....the chassis looks good...the case, not so much.

Non-phone pics later so I can show you what I mean.
 
Check out hoobler7 or hoobie7's (don't remember which) work log, he did a pretty good job on his. He procrastinated quite a bit though! :rolleyes: But I saw it before he gave it to his sister and he modded the hell out of it, and it was pretty cool.
 
Back
Top