Project: Thriced

HitMan-sC

Gawd
This is the beginning of my second mod, and my first worklog on [H]ardforum. Say hello to Project: Thriced. This mod will be centered around Thrice - one of my favorite bands - and their logo. I prefer a clean, sleek look, so there won't be anything over the top with this project. My main focus will be working with the logo. Let's get down to it:

First thing's first - here are some pictures of the Skyhawk case I ordered from Dealsonic. For $40 shipped, not too shabby. The pictures aren't the greatest - I still have to clean my lens.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

One of the first things I wanted to do was cut the blowholes. I decided to use 92mm fans all around for this case - one on top, one in the rear, and two in front of the drive cage (there might be another one later). I salvaged a 92mm fan and its fan guard from an old power supply and began to lay out the cut.

7.jpg

After the cut:

8.jpg

Here's a picture of the exhaust blowhole I cut. It still needs to be sanded.

10.jpg

As I was drilling the pilot hole, I realized that it was a bit off-center :mad:. It was too risky to rework the pilot hole, so I went ahead and drilled anyways. With a fan mounted, there is a very small amount of space between the edge of the fan and the edge of the blowhole. So, what do we do with mistakes, kids? That's right, cover them up! Using an old case for scrap metal, I drew up a fan grill that would cover up the that small amount of empty space, and look cool in the process. Pictures:

9.jpg

Some cutting.

11.jpg

Some more cutting.

12.jpg

In the meanwhile, here is the window panel, masked off, lines drawn, ready to be cut. Because of the position of the fan grills, I didn't really have many options with window design, so I decided to go with a plain square window. I have plans for the window, anyways.

13.jpg

That's all for now, kids. This week I'm going to work on cutting the window, finishing the fan grill, starting another one, cutting out the grill in front of the intake fans and replacing it with mesh, and perhaps drilling holes for the toggle switches that'll control the cathodes. I leave for williamsburg on friday, so painting will have to wait until I return. I haven't decided on a color yet, anyways (i'm open to suggestions).

~ HitMan

HitMan-sC said:
Hi guys. This is the beginning of my second mod, and my first worklog on [H]ardforum. Say hello to Project: Thriced. This mod will be centered around Thrice - one of my favorite bands...
... I haven't decided on a color yet, anyways (i'm open to suggestions).
"General Rule: Never start with a non-boosted auto. It's like trying to get your doctor to pull a tooth of yours by going in through your asshole. " - Huggles

~ HitMan
Doing some cutting to your new case I see... Looking good. I like the idea of you keeping it clean and not over the top. Slick stands for something you know. Color: Black and white only to match the logo, of course :)
BTW, love the quote. Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro here.... Overboosting still to come but how else can you get an extra 100 HP for "free?" :eek:

Small Update 6/23/05

I decided to cut a new fan grille, here it is cut out and sanded down a bit.

14.jpg

15.jpg

I'm not really satisfied with how it turned out - there are some nicks and rough cuts i cant seem to smooth out. As you can see, it doesn't evenly cover the blowhole... but I'll think of something. More updates when I get back next week.

Looking good dude. :) Do you think that skyhawk is as good as Lian Li cases?

I just got one of those for my new P4 system.. I love this case, cheap, solid and I can't complain about it at all. I have thought about getting a few more just to have around.

Anyway looking good.

Someone on bit-tech had a great suggestion - to mount the top fan grille on the inside of the case. This way, it looks a lot cleaner, the blowhole is covered, and I don't have to sand the edges of the grille straight. More updates when I get back next week.

Nice mod, quick question: What's the build quality of that case? As in is it superb or mediocre?

Leon2ky said:
Nice mod, quick question: What's the build quality of that case? As in is it superb or mediocre?

Yes do tell, how sturdy is it? How do the hard drives mount in there? Does that hard drive rack on the bottom slide out towards you?

EnderXC said:
Yes do tell, how sturdy is it? How do the hard drives mount in there? Does that hard drive rack on the bottom slide out towards you?
Also: Does it look like it's possible to mod the tray so that it slides out on the other side of the case?

I'm interested in getting the same case but I want to do the "BTX mod."

The case's build quality is very good, but not quite superb. The front panel is very thick, but the drive bay covers could be a little sturdier. It's all-around solid, and an excellent deal if you're on a budget. The lower 3.5" bay is mounted by three screws removable from the bottom of the case. As for the motherboard tray, I'd have to take a closer look at it when I got home.

You should turn your hard drive mounts sideways =D, that would be bitchin' in my opinion.

Keep at it, just remember to measure "thrice" and cut once.

(Majin walks away after shameful joke...)

hmm. i've been eyeing that case for awhile... how sturdy is it?

project looks interesting.
<- add about 6k to that, the numbers are off

7/30/05 - Big Update

This worklog died about a month ago, and I've been working on the case on and off. Now, I'm on the home stretch. To pick up where I left off...

Here's a picture of everything wetsanded after a coat of primer.

16.jpg

I cut out the grill on the faceplate. Here it is, after filing and priming.

18.jpg

An asston of sanding and priming later..

17.jpg

And everything's ready for color. I was originally planning on some sort of blue, but decided to go with this deep jewel green metallic instead. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I still need to clean my camera. These pictures do a somewhat decent job of showing the true color.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

The fan controller and mouse:

23.jpg

24.jpg

Here's what the grille will look like mounted on the inside of the case. It will be painted white.

25.jpg

Then it was time to paint the logo. I laid down masking tape (I ended up going with 3M Blue Painter's Tape, because it's very low tack) on the kitchen counter, drew the logo, and cut it out with an Xacto knife, and had a big masking tape stencil. It was a bitch to lay down.

26.jpg

Here's the logo, with the edges somewhat cleaned up. I laid masking tape straight along the edges, masked everything else off, and sprayed another coat of white along the edges to help straighten them out. It's not perfect, but I guess I'm satifised. I used touch-up paint in some of the areas.

28.jpg

The drive bays:

29.jpg

And here's everything, ready to clearcoat, with the exception of two drive bays that are drying from a coat of paint.

27.jpg

I still need to drill a couple of holes in the case for wire routing, and I'll take a picture of everything clearcoated tomorrow. Expect much better pictures after everything is put together. Hardware-wise, this is what's on the way:

- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
- Athlon64 3700+
- 2GB (1 x 2GB) Patriot PC-3200 (2-3-2-5)
- Connect3D X850XT PE
- Enermax 485W NoiseTaker
- Western Digital 320GB SATA (in addition to the raptor and 200GB seagate I have for this)
- Sony DualLayer DVD Burner
- Sony DVD/CD-RW Combo
- Audigy2 ZS
- Logitech Z-5500
- The 1905FP is already here.

~ HitMan

I'm a family friend of Teppei Teranishi and I love Thrice.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the outcome of this.

Wow, I can't believe that colour matches EXACTLY.
That is a really nice paint job.

LeArN2LiVe said:
I'm a family friend of Teppei Teranishi and I love Thrice.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the outcome of this.

Really... think you could get them to see this when it is finished? ;)

Clicked on this thread because I saw the word 'Thrice' in it :p They are one of my favorite bands, and Teppei is one cool cat. Good luck with the project!

looks really good-- nice job getting that paint to match like that.

how did that case come apart? is it riveted or are there screws?

keep it up

Chris

The top panel is actually held in place by four thumb screws. It made life a lot easier when it came to painting and cutting.

awesome. i think i'm going to have to get one of those cases for my girlfriend's computer.

post some images when the whole thing's done :) i wanna see it.

Back