Project: The Sleeper

flip3d

Limp Gawd
You know those cars that look stock but arent? Well, I'm going to apply this concept to this old Dell case I recently aquired. I cant wait to show up to a LAN party and see the looks on peoples faces. "WTF? You're gonna play COD4 with a celeron?"

PIC-0059.jpg

PIC-0060.jpg

PIC-0058.jpg

The power supply mounts right above where the CPU socket is so nothing goes in the big space in the upper rear of the case. This leaves me a lot of room for a pump and reservoir.

I'm still debating on what motherboard to get but I will throw my Q6600 in there along with an 8800GT.

Good luck with that case. My first PC (mine and not used by others like family anyway) was a Dell L733 P3 I took to college in 2000 that fit in that exact case. It was such a PITA to do anything with. It has that stupid space in the front for the harddrive. It's not ATX format IIRC though. I still have mine sitting in my garage that I never did anything with. I wanted to turn it into a linux server for UT2004 back in 2004 but couln't get Fedora or anything to install on it. I think it was the Mobo bios or somthing preventing anything than the stupid WinME CD from booting. Such an awful OS. It had a proprietary PSU from Dell that sucked as well. Deffinetely get some great cooling in there. It wasn't as necessary back then with little processors that put out minimal heat but you will need some for the 8800 and C2Q. Put a 120mm fan and rad up where the PSU goes and your pump and res at the bottom and you should be good.

Good luck though. That would be funny to lan on.

Like to see how this one turns out, cus I am about to take on a similar task over christmas break, but it is going to be with a lot smaller off brand case. Good Luck though :D ... subcribed...

My first computer also was in one of those cases. Should be interesting.

q6600 + 8800gt in that thing = serious sleeper

do something cool w/ the floppy opening.

besides using it as a floppy.

This is awesome enough for me to delurk and make a comment on this project. I was hoping to see one of these threads in the case mod forum for quite a while (I would start one myself but I lack money ATM and I threw away my beige box dell years ago :( ).

Flip3d, I think that after you're finished with this project, you should make a new 'Sleeper Case Gallery' starting with you're case. I know that the 'Ghetto Case mods' already exists but this could be its own category -- Take any brand name beige box from 2001 or earlier and sup it up while still looking stock. How 'bout it, huh?:D

This should be an awesome project. I have an idea but I am not sure how much time/money/finger-slicing you want to endure. It would be awesome to make that front of the case open like a door (even the Optical drive front plate). Inside the door that swings open, a backplane like this is revealed, although I am not sure 5 drives would fit into that area. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332011
Then you could mod a slim line DVD-RW into the bottom of the case.

Assuming that you'll install windows xp or vista on this thing, you should definitely use the 'Classic theme' with the windows 95/nt4 color scheme (the ugly gray toolbars, bland teal background) to fool your friends even more :p.

Expect comments like "Dude, how did you get Crysis running on Windows 95?!. I can't even run Battlefield 2 on Windows 98!!"

@Gushpin: I always use the ugly backgrounds, because I don't care what the OS looks like and it reduces the system overhead and speeds up boot/load times.

@OP: Gonna WC a LAN rig? Be careful with that (esp since if it's a sleeper I can't imagine you'd drain it before heading off to a LAN).

bah - no need to drain if the loop is tight and the ride is somewhat civil to your destination

I did the same thing with my old dell case except it was a bit newer the first gen black ones the 4550 i had a core 2 duo e6300 in it i have since sold it unfortunetly..

bah - no need to drain if the loop is tight and the ride is somewhat civil to your destination

I agree. I tote my triple rad setup around all the time. I've had sATA cables pop off before but my loop never leaks. Not sure if this actually affects anything, but I try to heat my system up as hot as it'll go then seal the res so there's a vacuum instead of pressure in the loop. Good luck mate. I remember doing this when I was younger.

Back