Project: The Quiet Arctic *56k Friendly*

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
So my new pump finally came in, and I've got an interesting project in mind. With the components in my possession, I should be able to come up with something nifty that both works and looks at least half decent!

Alright, this time around I've gathered some miscellaneous WC parts that I can use to make a small loop with, and I'm armed and ready to cool down this CPU and be as quiet as possible doing it! So, on to the juicy stuff!

System Specs (Basics):
(All of these are actually in the signature, so have a look down there).

This Prescott is pretty cold running, 3.83 GHz, 1.4125v, and still only 40C at load using a Blue Orb II, not to mention that the AS5 is only about 20% burned in, if that, so I'm not really dealing with a hot chip to being with, I just want to make it all nice and quiet!

The Goals/Challenges:
- Create as quiet a PC environment as possible. I've been listening to loud fans for years on end, and I'm breaking this trend with a new leaf, Water Cooling.
- Use only the parts available to me. This isn't really a stretch, seeing as I have all the base components and won't need much more, if anything.
- To keep my case 100% intact. I paid a hefty sum for this little number, and I am most certainly NOT going to run it! It's in darn right excellent condition, I think I want to preserve that, thank you. My Dremel XPR400 isn't gonna see much action in this project!
- Do all this with little to no budget. $20 to spend at most. Seeing as I have most everything, I probably won't need to buy anything except little odds and ends to tie things off.
- Make it look half decent, or at least make it look interesting! I'm probably limited in doing this since I won't be cutting into the case, although I have a couple or so interesting ideas to add to the appearance and "WOW" factor in this design.

The Weapons/WC Equipment Available:
- Swiftech MCP600 12V Pump (1/2")
- Swiftech MCW20 Chipset Block (1/2")
- Thermaltake 2x5.25" Bay Reservoir (3/8" G 1/4 Fittings, 1/2" Adaptable)
- Double Heatercore (1/2")
- Roughly 3.5 FT of 1/2" ID 5/8" OD Tubing. It's thin and a bit too flexible, but I think I can get it to work. Also have a couple 4" pieces of thicker tubing for short range connections.

(Click pictures for full-version 1600x1200 images)

The Case:

The components in it aren't what I'm using now, just so you know.

The Weapons/Parts:

(Sorry about the blurriness, camera sucks at everything but close-range and extended-range.)

So yeah, you're allowed to call me a mad-man for not having an actual CPU block to work with, its fine. Unless you're willing to trade an old/unused block over to me to use, this is what I'm working with. I AM however looking for cheap copper 1/2" blocks to use :D , offer me up if you have anything in mind!

So, with this arsenal of random equipment and my endless knowledge on ghetto-fixes and making-things-look-nice, I'm prepared to create something quiet, powerful, and cold! Comments, suggestions, ideas, please! I'm especially curious on how I'm going to get the tubing out of the case, seeing as it needs to go to the radiator. I need your awesome ideas to help me out here! Anything? :D

A couple things I ran into so far, are the heat implications coming from other parts in the system. What I liked about the Blue Orb II is that it cooled everything under it, the problem now is that I don't have more blocks to compensate for everything else, and my budget doesn't exactly allow for addition parts like that, also, the thin tubing I have kinks easily, and I'm gonna have to invest in thicker tubing, or elbows. I'll snap some pictures later, I'm not home at the moment.

Well, I ran into several problems.

- The pump makes a toned-down vibration noise, that when the fans are all down on low, is clearly audible from outside of the case. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of said noise.
- The case is a little too small to work in, and the design has to be re-thought. The system is rebuilt in another case for the time being.
- The Blue Orb II I used to use (and am using now temporarily) cooled everything under it, including the NB and the RAM. When I use a waterblock, it means adding a fan in there, and that means unwanted addition noise. So basically, I either need a better way to cool it, or more waterblocks. The cases airflow isn't enough to compensate.
- The pump only wants to run at 12v, so trying to kill the noise by reducing voltage is a no-go. I tried 5, 7, and everything in between that and 12v, but nothing works. Last option is to find a noise-reducer.
- Lastly, my budget for this is obviously too low to work with. For the things that I need to make this happen, I have too little $$. Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to come back to this when I pick up some more $$ to work with.

Just an update though guys, if anyone can provide solutions to the above problems so that the project can continue, please provide your input! I would love to continue this sometime soon, instead of letting the project just be forgotten :( .

Back