Project: TARDiS

Since i've decided to compete in the Dutch CAsemod championships, i needed to finish a lot of small things. I a touched up the paint where needed, fixed a couple of small issues, and set myself to making a few decent pictures of the case.

Click on the pictures to see a larger version :)

holy damn thats freakin awesome, especially like the endless hallway thing with the mirrors. great work!!

Nice mod. Does it make the Tardis 'Sound' when it is on? You know the one that it makes as it gets ready to shift through time?

fusionrx said:
Nice mod. Does it make the Tardis 'Sound' when it is on? You know the one that it makes as it gets ready to shift through time?

Unfortunately, it doesn't at boot, would have been too complex for my meagre electronic skills. I did make it the windows startup sound though... :cool:

A lot of comments about the mirrored interior... am I missing it? Was the image removed? Or is it just too early in the morning for me to focus?

Looks great, but for the championships I would split the removable panel and hinge it.
The removeable panel just cheapens the effect for me. But hinged like doors would really complete the whole look.

ViriiGuy

i agree. hinge the doors for sure. it'd look remarkable. excellecnt crasftman ship :)

ViriiGuy said:
Looks great, but for the championships I would split the removable panel and hinge it.
The removeable panel just cheapens the effect for me. But hinged like doors would really complete the whole look.

ViriiGuy

I've thought about making hinged doors in there, though i always refrained of doing by the very decent chance it would ruin the front door on the first attempt. So to make hinged doors it there it would require building a new front for the case, which is something, up to now, just didn't have had the time to do.
There are still a few important design issues which block the idea from being practical atm, but at least you made me consider it again, so there's a chance i just might go for it... :)

eendje001 said:
I've thought about making hinged doors in there, though i always refrained of doing by the very decent chance it would ruin the front door on the first attempt. So to make hinged doors it there it would require building a new front for the case, which is something, up to now, just didn't have had the time to do.
There are still a few important design issues which block the idea from being practical atm, but at least you made me consider it again, so there's a chance i just might go for it... :)

they make special hinges that you could mount on the inside. give those a go...

This is a great mod! Congratulations on finishing such a cool mod! Craftsmanship is great, just a perfect job.

I think you could use a piano hinge, available at Home Depot as well as a ton of other places.They are cut to length, so buy it longer and cut to fit. It might also require you to cut the hinge edge on the door panel to clearence the hinge. There are also invisable inside mounting hinges that would work too. You should talk to someone who is familier with them, so that you could find the right one. I know it's kinda a mute point, but it would make opening the front to show the innerds off easier.

I really like the looks of that case. I have that same board and I was going to try an put it in an old IBM netvista case (yes, it fits it is that small).

What OS are you running on that board? I am running ubuntu on mine because I could not get XP/2K to load up on the SATA drive even with the drivers.

webbee said:
This is a great mod! Congratulations on finishing such a cool mod! Craftsmanship is great, just a perfect job.

I think you could use a piano hinge, available at Home Depot as well as a ton of other places.They are cut to length, so buy it longer and cut to fit. It might also require you to cut the hinge edge on the door panel to clearence the hinge. There are also invisable inside mounting hinges that would work too. You should talk to someone who is familier with them, so that you could find the right one. I know it's kinda a mute point, but it would make opening the front to show the innerds off easier.

bgates2b said:
I really like the looks of that case. I have that same board and I was going to try an put it in an old IBM netvista case (yes, it fits it is that small).

What OS are you running on that board? I am running ubuntu on mine because I could not get XP/2K to load up on the SATA drive even with the drivers.

Thanx so much for the compliments...:)

As to the questions, i've already started with the designing of the changes needed to make the doors hinged, and it's starting to look more complicated than I thought. Piano hinges would require an accuracy i can't provide with my simple tools, and other types of hinges are generally too large or bulky to fit.
It's coming along nicely though, and i expect i should be able to start on it shortly.

As for the OS, i'm currently running XP on it. I use a reguler IDE drive though, so i wouldn't know if the sata drivers give any problems.

Just caught this thread and saw this masterpiece. This is a great design. The attention to detail is superb. This has to be one of the best "from scratch" case builds i have ever seen. Though I might be a bit biased since I am a Dr. Who fan. Thanks for taking the time to share your build pics. Will you be posting the specs on your build? I would love to give something like this a shot if I had the specs to refer.
Great Work!
WD :)

Just a note, I would like to say (jokingly sarcastic) Thanks a GOB!!!!! Now my wife just HAS to have a TARDIS Media PC :) I guess when I finally finish Tangerine I will have to start on one for her.

Been a fan since I was a tot, and being in the US, it just made me all the more an eyebrow-raiser whenever someone saw my barrister's bookcase full of memoribilia. A bit out of date in bumping this, but I had the idea for a TARDIS case myself and I see you have beaten me to it. Add in the fact that you found a good condition Dr. Who pinball machine, and you are officially a bastard. :p

Seriously though, that's amazing quality and craftsmanship. I really was taken aback when i saw the finished product, and the mirror idea was pure gold. However, now it just speeds up my intention to build a full-scale console (and perhaps console room) and put a rig inside. The real trick will be making every button and switch do something. You've steeled my resolve man! What happened with the case competition? You deserved 1st place! Unless you didn't reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. That wouldn't be excusable.

Back