[Project sub topic] parts needed for W/C!

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
yes, i am going to be water cooling my project (link in sig, check it out http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033120326)

much thanks to Mark over at FrozenCPU we have worked something out which will let me order all of my parts from them with out hassle of payment! So i want to make sure i get my order right, why i am now here....

what will i be cooling?
  • Q6600 - but that will likely be changed to a q9 series in a few months since this q6600 seems to be crap, so should work on both a q6600 now and a cooler 45nm q9 series later, which i assume shouldn't be an issue since the q6600 is a hotter running chip
  • 4850 - which will be changed with a 4870 in a few months
  • Northbridge of a DFI x38 T2R DK motherboard

I am reading up now on parts and what it hot and what it not... but i have been out of the WC loop for some time.. so based on some reading, people suggest these parts for many others:

• Waterblocks - the Switech GTZ and the -TEK FuZion v2 seems to get alot of praise...?
  • GPU - No clue here! so many selections and so many nice looking one....what would work with a 4850 and in the future a 4870?
  • NorthBridge - This i have another no clue on... what would be decent, i figure since iam going WC may as well do it all!
  • Rad's My case should fit a 3 x 120 rad on the front or side, if not i can do a 2 x 120 and a single 120 at the back no problems...
  • Pump again an area i dont know, after some reading i see many people running 2 loops these days..

Do i need 2 loops for my above set up?

Would a single 3 x120 rad be enough for the load?

is 1/2 still the way to go ?

My only recommendation here is on the gpu block. Anything universal is going to be best if you plan to change the video card regularly (yearly ish) and dont want to spend money on a new block regularly. D-Tek FuZion GFX 2 is a nice one, i use a fuzion gfx with a unisink and I love it.

I hope you are not going to try and put the radiator inside that case. I just don't see it happening and I love to try and cram things into small places.

As far as the radiator goes I would say a 360 is needed. You could get buy with a 240 if you don't oc the Q9XXX or the 4870.

My guess is a Q9XXX with 1.4 V consumes/dissipates about 180/190 W, I'm probably off but not by much. A 4870 consumes/dissipates about 225 W maximum? I don't know about that one but it has 2 6 pin pci-e connectors so its more than 150 and less than 225.

yup, rad is goin in the case, but the harddrives are being moved, i am not using that harddrive holder, i am going to make custom brakets for mounting of them and i wil prob only have 3 drives in this system in the end and move the rest to my HTPC.

i dont like the look of rad hanging out the back and such, i know it will be alot of work, but i know it can fit, i can sit here and picture it all in my case! :)

2nd person who mentioned the GFX 2, so will check it out as an option as well..

i hate waitng for my bank wires to hit my account! i want to order stuff now!!!

A triple radiator will get you good temperatures... As will a 2x and a 1x radiator. Go with a single loop.

As for the GPU block, I'd probably get the GFX2, and leave the stock aluminum ramsink plate on (the part that the fan is attached to) since you can still mount a block on the core.

Get a Fuzion V2 for the CPU IMO.

For the NB, get the EK NB block that works with your board.

Pump... MCP655 for unparalleled reliability.

Get everything with 1/2" barbs, and use the 7/16" masterkleer tubing... It's a bit hard to get over the barbs (especially plastic ones like the MCP655) so dip the ends in boiling water to get them to soften up... When it cools they'll lock on to an absolute leak free seal.

Both the Fuzion V.2 and the GFX2 are great. My setup is exactly as Arcygenical suggested - using EK blocks for the NB.

Using 7/16" tubing with the 655pump. I was using dual Rads for CPU and GPU - worked fine. Now I've upgraded to triple + dual for cooling CPU/NB/GPU crossfire.

:( can't complete my setup... still waiting for a few parts at the moment.

wicked info, especially about the 4850 and the block, didnt know that!

going to try and put a list together today, moving over $350 CAD to my paypal for this first round of buying, my total budget max i am aiming to stay under is $500, so want to get this first basic loop done and see how that goes :D

NCIX has some good prices on some of this stuff, as does directcanada.com

If you were wondering :)

know is been some time, but i am now putting in my 2nd order for WC parts woo hoo

i got the cpu block, tubing and pump, so now going to get the rad and other small items... so by new year i should have my cpu on water.

BUT i need some input - FANS!!! what fans should i get, 120mm i do want this to be quiet though... right now i am just cooling my q6600 and the NB.....

Aren't you from ocforums, mr.government?

Anyway... nb- xspc/dager den universal block. The former has a backplate. Those 2 I've mention has rather high restriction though. Otherwise, get a free flowing MCW30.

GPU block - if you're getting the 4870, you may want a fullcover mcw60-4870. otherwise, I'll say MCW60. Solid performer, low pressure drop too. In other words, low restriction. Unfortunately, no test has been done to compare MCW60 rev.2 vs GFX2.

Pump - MCP355 + XSPC top. Better performance than MCP655. Plus, I have not heard of a MCP355 pump failing before. The only time is when petra's gel melted and damaged the pump. So reliability is not an issue.

Tubes- If you want bling, or coloured, get UV tubes from primochill, XSPC just to name a few. Do not get dyes. I like 7/16"ID over 1/2" because they route easier, slightly lower cost and very similar flow rate as 1/2". I believe someone has mentioned this the post above.

yuppers, thas me young boy :)

i got the block and pump and tubing, just the fans now :D

i am in termoil as i am changing my video card, but now i may try to wait for the new cards to come out..

i ordered 3 Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm Fan (D12SH-12) and an Swiftech MCR320, sinec it gets some great reviews and is $100 cheaper then the feaser which is out of stock anyways!

so this should cover my q6600 well enough

this with a new Asus P5Q Deluxe, maybe this q6600 can go higher then with my DFi x38 board.

Back