• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PROJECT - Stealth'd 5 1/4" LCD screen.

Deranged

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
25
This is my first mod. I'm starting out with a 5.8" Xovision LCD screen, a sacrificed female molex connector scavenged from an old casefan, a few old CD-ROM drives, and a lot of spare time.

Hopefully I'll end up with a stealth LCD that pops out of a 5 1/4" bay using only the screen and the gears/guts of an old 24x CD-ROM drive. I figured what better place to show my progress than the [H]ardForums. Anyways, on to the first pics.

lcdscreen10yk.jpg

Here, we see the hacked power connector using the salvaged 4-pin female molex connector. That's heat shrink tubing used to hold twisted pair together. Yes, I know I should be using electrical tape. Right after this picture, I held my breath and hit the power switch.

lcdscreen29yj.jpg

On boot, the screen powered on, and thanks to my lovely Radeon 9800XT's most awesome dual-head support, displayed the Windows XP boot screen. This picture is after I'd adjusted the screen dimensions. Here you can see it playing Chronicles of Riddick from the DVD drive in the picture.

Now that it's powered from my PSU and accepting signal from my video card, I start the hard part : Getting the LCD crammed into a 5 1/4" enclosure, and getting it to eject as if it were an optical drive tray. Depending on how things go, I should be able to start tomorrow, and hopefully be finished with the next stage within the next 3 days.
 
Damn cool idea, but I'd be a lot more impressed if you weren't using a case with a door. :p
 
It's Composite, but going through the S-Video --> Composite adapter that came with my video card.

As for the case having a door - It does. I just had to take it off to test the LCD.

JR_Rider said:
Well, at least this gives me a few ideas.

Tried hacking apart a few old Creative Labs 24x CD-ROMs today, and got one gutted out except for the drive motor and tray mechanism. The drive doesn't seem to have any problem with opening the tray minus the optics and spindle motor. The only problem is the placement of the gear teeth on the tray. If this little problem can't be gotten around, I'm just going to scrap the drive, save the shell and build a small actuated enclosure for the LCD that will fit in a 5 1/4" bay.

Also, if anyone knows of a place or company that will sell DVI to Hirose-DF9 (Flat Ribbon) LCD controllers to non-OEM buyers, please let me know as I also have a 10" LCD that I'd like to do something with.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes, guys. I'll try not to disappoint.
 
does that LCD have a remote? just wondering coz you could make it so the drive bay door will auto open you could even mound the LCD on the back of the door. or if you put it on the drive bays maby have a tinted window in the door so when it comes on you can see it but when off the door just looks normal
 
nice looking LCD. would it help to remove it from that casing and either build a new one or just leave it out of a case?
 
Looks cool so far. Don't know about the hole clear tape on the power cables lol.
 
I have an easy way to stealth that. Just install it into as many 5.25 bays as needed, then close the door on your case :D
 
Gutted out a few more CD-ROM drives today, and figured out that even if I can get the tray to come out without optics installed... Yeah. It's still gonna be easier to fabricate an enclosure for the LCD. I'm gonna be scouting hardware stores for the next few days on my way to and from work, cause first order of business is get some drawer sliders.

As for the remote control idea, it's a good idea but might be too hard to implement. I'll look further into it later.

-Edit-

Also, I'd like to point out that if at all possible I'd like to keep the stock casing on the LCD, and spray it charcoal black to match my case. The only hard part about that is the wires stick out like a sore thumb, but that's nothing some black matte cable wrap couldn't solve.
 
really interested in this thread as I have been thinking along the same lines, well atleast putting a LCD in but if doing it as a pull out of the %.25 bay is good I may have a try at that too. At the moment still looking into LCD screens and which one to get, either going to get a PSOne add on screen or a proper In-Car LCD screen.

Good luck and hope to see more pics soon :)
 
Okay. Months and months later after being fired from work, evicted, beaten, stabbed, drunk and homeless, progress has been made. I found a warm place to sleep that has free DSL and got my compy out of hock. Time to give this another whack. :)
 
Deranged said:
Okay. Months and months later after being fired from work, evicted, beaten, stabbed, drunk and homeless, progress has been made. I found a warm place to sleep that has free DSL and got my compy out of hock. Time to give this another whack. :)

Eeek, everything going alright? :confused:
 
Back
Top