Project: Spidey

fam

Limp Gawd
Thanks to a few folks here who helped me decide to do this spidey project. Ive modded chieftecs\raidmax\antec cases before to look a little better than stock ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=167562 ). Im nowhere near the level of most of the guys on this board as far as craftmanship and all that, so most of my mods are just colors, fan mods etc.

What I want to do is roughly this:

What I have to start with is an old black solid metal chiefec case :

Ok,
After going to the andersons and getting some paint and supplies I started painting it blue after some prep work. I have a couple small areas that are fish eyeing so I am going to prime and sand and try again as soon as this paint hardens. I have the window mod done too, its an actual solid piece of 3.1MM clear tempered glass that I have put a webbing design on with a hot glue gun and accented it with black, but I will show you that one later.

Here is the window I was telling you about, the design isnt neccesarily finalyzed as i have plenty of glass to experiment with, the glass isnt mounted in this pic (just taped in place), the lights will make the webbing glow in the end, and the flash of the camera in this pic makes the case look a different color than it really is. Im thinking about adding a spider to the webbing that hangs down, or maybe just draw a spidey head with it, dunno, kinda messing around at this point, feel free to speak your mind.

There is a prduct you can purchase from some furnature finishing sites called fish eye remover. It's a whip that you clean stuff with. Fish eye is usually caused from oils, or from silicone. My wife uses it all the time when she does cabinates. Between coats of varnish she wipes down the cabinates with it. Ensures a good coat that doesnt fish eye.

its probably a tak cloth, it was caused by oils im sure. Funny thing is it didnt start to fish eye until I started putting the clear on, the clear is what didnt like the oil that was there. Oh well, priming it and sanding it will make it smoother in the end. im not in too big of a hurry as the computer guts being used to fill it havent been given to me yet (my father in law is giving me his system when he buys a new one soon {2400xp}).

Negs. The fish eye remover isnt a tak cloth. Its a liquid. theres two kinds. 1 you rub onto the serfice. and one you add to the paint.

kool. Ill check into it next time I start another project like this ( I have a minnesota vikings, N.O. saints, and a red wings machines to build at the start of the year for some of my friends)

When you mentioned you are using "real" glass, for some reason, I started thinking of etching.

It's really easy to do. I did one thing a long time ago and all I used was some kind of cream applied to a masked off area. I think it would look awesome with a UV red color hitting it.

Found this site while googling http://www.etchworld.com/ ... I know they have similar stuff at craft stores and maybe even hardware stores.

Just a thought is all.. nice job so far ;)

Thats a great idea on the etching, at my work we etch using a sandblaster pod with rubber pads, but in person what I did with the glass webbing looks pretty good and its growing on me, when I get some lights behind It I think it will do nicely..

as for an update, I snuck out last night to be some more gifts for the wife at walmart at 11pm (you dont want to go earlier than that this time of year) and bought some stuff and picked up some more blue rustoleum to finish the blue. Adding up all my supplies im currently at 5 cans of $4 dollar paint, $4 in sandpaper, a hot glue gun from big lots ($1) add glue sticks from kroger $4 im at $29. Not too bad, but I still need matching led fans and cathodes and anything else that suprises me.

Currently waiting on the blue to dry.

Very slowly making progess, got to do the red on the front and do alot of odds and ends that will eventually make her pretty. You can see the intensity of the red on the front bay covers, it will look nice, but im still waiting a bit longer to do the red.

obviously it will brighten up with the leds and cathodes etc, but im thinking it may be too dark, so, should I go white (or chrome?) on the inside to brighten it up? lemme know guys.

Painted the red on the front, ordered a bunch of fans, im actually going to cram 3 80mms in the front of the grill vertically. After a test fit with some old fans, im going to have to do some dremmel action to get it to fight nice. I have a fan controller so multiple 80s can still keep it quiet in the front. I may still go for the 120s or larger on top though. The lights are going to make this thing look good, so imo its not done yet.

Got the red leds in, modded an old power supply that was noisy and changed the fan to a blue led fan. Couldnt wait to see some of what it will look like (it will need cathodes to show the webbing properly) so I used an old pentium 2 board to turn it on lol.

ok, finally got around to finishing this stupid thing...hope any of you find some humor in it. I still have a 120 to put at the top, but that should be about it.

Back